Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats right, what was your stupidest mistake!

Mine was when roughing in for a kitchen sink, I mis calculated the height of the drain. Came back to trim out and the p-trap wont fit! Had to hurry and cut the back of the cabinet out and cut the line and lower it before anyone saw me!

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
I missed diagnosed a slab leak on the hot water side as a bad water heater, it was when the HO called me that afternoon and asked when the water was going to get hot. Went over there thinking I somehow forgot to turn on the breaker. when i arrived the HO also wanted to know why water was coming through the floor where the toilet was behind the water heater wall. Said it just started doing that. So know i know that the sound of a water heater heating water, could also be a slab leak. Man I felt stupid that day.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Taking off a day because my ex wife wanted to go out of town, That got me fired from a job I loved, I have been hurt ever since, I loved that shop!

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
I had a around the corner dishwasher to install. New house. Electrician had previously wired it and the wire was too short to allow me to take it out of the cabinet to install the dish ell so I put it back in place and fastened it to countertop.Leveled it, whole 9 yards. Drilled cabinet for piping and the bit went though double panels, I could feel it when it went through the second one. Drilled through another. SAME THING. Last panel to drill, I assumed the bit should go through 2 panels . I went through the first and had to push like hell to drill through what I thouhgt was the second panel. I then proceeded to fish the flex line from the sink to the dw. After 10 minutes of cussing and can not feel the flex line with my hand stretched under the dishwasher as far as I could reach, I decided to just unhook the wire, pull the xsgssjkieywi thing out and see what the f was wrong. well, when I grasped the handle of the dishwasher located in the center, I inadvertedly opened the door. There, in the bottom of the dishwasher was my flex line, Yea, I drilled right through the dishwasher.
I now own a new 600 dollar dishwasher with mighty putty on the inside. Day from hell indead. :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a around the corner dishwasher to install. New house. Electrician had previously wired it and the wire was too short to allow me to take it out of the cabinet to install the dish ell so I put it back in place and fastened it to countertop.Leveled it, whole 9 yards. Drilled cabinet for piping and the bit went though double panels, I could feel it when it went through the second one. Drilled through another. SAME THING. Last panel to drill, I assumed the bit should go through 2 panels . I went through the first and had to push like hell to drill through what I thouhgt was the second panel. I then proceeded to fish the flex line from the sink to the dw. After 10 minutes of cussing and can not feel the flex line with my hand stretched under the dishwasher as far as I could reach, I decided to just unhook the wire, pull the xsgssjkieywi thing out and see what the f was wrong. well, when I grasped the handle of the dishwasher located in the center, I inadvertedly opened the door. There, in the bottom of the dishwasher was my flex line, Yea, I drilled right through the dishwasher.
I now own a new 600 dollar dishwasher with mighty putty on the inside. Day from hell indead. :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:
Oh man! That got to hurt!

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
When I was a green apprentice of about 6 months in trade, I was working for a shop that did resi tract housing almost exclusively. The delivery truck showed up with all of the one piece fiberglass tubs it could carry. We unloaded and started setting them. I had one in the hole just a bit too far so that it was out of plumb. I tried to pull it without success so I put my foot inside the tub and kicked backwards with the heel of my boot and of course kicked a hole right through the fiberglass. Man I felt stupid.

I don't know if this was the MOST stupid thing I ever did on the job but it was the first one that came to mind.

I do remember another time that I was relocating some copper water lines because the ho was reconfiguring her bathroom. She clearly explained that their would be a door in a certain location. I acknowledged her and turned right around and ran the lines through the wall where she had just told me that there would be a door. The worst part was that I never did catch the mistake and only became aware of it after I thought I was through and she pointed out that their was going to be a door there. I heard her tell me that the door was going to be located there but apparently didn't listen.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
If ya ever drip pvc primer down expensive wallpaper behind a pedistal sink.

Let it evaporate. DO NOT wipe it off :whistling2::whistling2:

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
A few years ago, when I worked at a Mr. rooter, I once dug up a 300 foot pressure line from a sewage ejector pump, because I thought it was stopped up somewhere. I dug the whole thing up with a backhoe and couldn't find a problem. It turns out the sewage pump was undersized and wasn't pumping all the waste uphill enough.:blush: I never even thought to check the sizing, because the pump was working and it had been working for a couple years. I guess it was starting to burn out under the heavy head-pressure. (another company had installed the undersized pump.)
I am not sure, but I think the customer paid anyway...I am pretty sure my bss had to cut him a deal though. OOPS! :whistling2: I felt like a total moron.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
You worked for Mr Rooter?

How did you like there business structure, I went on an interview once and it was well....not for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Worst day ever was doing a softener install. I knew I was sick and gave some serious thought about calling out that day. But no, I'm a team player and I know I'm scheduled to go a softener install that day, so I go in figuring I'd go get the install done and then go home.
Load up the van and head for the customers house and on the way had to pull over so I could puke on the side of the road.
Finally get to the customers home and get the install done. Looked good too. I stood back admired my fine looking work and started the system up.
Went upstairs and ran the water and had no pressure. Go back to the basement to be certain that I had the water turned on. It was. Upon closer inspection I realize that I have hooked up the softener backwards.
Oh sh:censored:t, just fu:censored:k me silly.
Go back upstairs and take off the aerator to find that I had blown resin into the home. To make matters worse the customer has already gone around turning on faucets and plugging up every faucet in the house with resin.
By now I've got a whole new kind of sick feeling as I realize that I've got to get hose lines cleared before I can drag my sorry backside home.:cry:

Three hours later, I managed to climb back in my van and limp home with my head hung really low.

The one bright note was that the customer was really gracious about it and even suggested that maybe the tank was defective. With the lines cleared and the plumbing corrected, I saw no reason to discourage the customers opinion that the control valve was the problem and end up giving them a bad start with us.:whistling2:
I promised to return the next day with a replacement tank and ended up with the customer feeling great about how we handled the problem.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Clearing a 3/4" A/C line in attic with CO2 gun, gitter dun and starting down stairs I pass a powder bath with what I thought was WHACKY looking wall paper. Well, it was WHACKY allright, because I just blew A/C scum all over the walls, carpet and towels.:cry::cry:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ran a jetter up a floor drain in the middle of Burger King...at LUNCH TIME, lol. Oops, it never did that before, sorry BK Maneger was PISSED.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I asked my mechanic if the water was off to a sink so I could install angle valves. He told me that it was, he had shut it off earlier. I proceed to un sweat the caps. Normally I would cut the caps off but the stub outs were a little short and I needed all the length I could get. When molten solder and hot water started spraying out of the joint I turned off the heat. Too late, cap goes flying across the room followed by a stream of water. So I'm running across the house to grab buckets while yelling for him to go shut off the water.
Now we have a bunch of water on the second story of a newly finished 12 million dollar house. Venetian plaster, plaster mouldings, recessed ceilings, and all kinds of other expensive things you don't want to wreck. Forutnatly I got the buckets there pretty quickly and caught most of the water. We went to work with a shop vac and towels and got it soaked up pretty quickly. Amazingly their was no damage to the house.
So now I no longer take other peoples word for it that the water is off.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Reworking a 4" PVC drain line through a storeroom at a power plant. There was one private bathroom upstream of us. A 1st year apprentice asked me if I wanted him to put a sign on the door. Nope, it's only used by stockroom guys, we will have the line cut apart and replace a tee on it's side with a wye and 45 in 5 minutes. Wrong, I got it cut apart, and we hear a flush:eek:. The turd shower landed on a shrink wrapped pallet of laptop computers. You could see the corn. :laughing: Luckily, it is hot and dry in this room. We got a roll of pig blanket and cleaned everything up and it took longer to cleanup the mess than do the pipe work.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
I do remember another time that I was relocating some copper water lines because the ho was reconfiguring her bathroom. She clearly explained that their would be a door in a certain location. I acknowledged her and turned right around and ran the lines through the wall where she had just told me that there would be a door. The worst part was that I never did catch the mistake and only became aware of it after I thought I was through and she pointed out that their was going to be a door there. I heard her tell me that the door was going to be located there but apparently didn't listen.

Are you married to her?:laughing::laughing:

Cuz not hearing her would be acceptable, stupid but acceptable.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
383 Posts
the worst one for me was a bathroom remodel where the kitchen and bath were back to back. i was removing the ci stack and didnt have enough room to use a snapper so i had to sawzall it. before i started i went to the kitchen and started to remove knick knacks, pictures , anything on the walls that could vibrate loose from the cutting and fall. so i begin cutting and im almost through when i hear the big crash. so i run to the other side and find a clock that crashed through the solid surface cook top on the range. i removed everything from the walls but forgot to look up at the soffit that hung over the range. DOOHHHH! this was before i had my own shop and my boss was cool about it and he was more worried about the clock than the cook top. it was not damaged but was made by the ho's kid so the top can be replaced but the sentimental value of the clock could not. i check recheck and do it all over before cutting ever since that day. those damn cook tops are almost more to replace than the whole range.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts