Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's a code, maybe it's a personal practice, but what is something that you see or that is done, that if you see it done that way, you absolutely have to say something, or do something, about it? Maybe you freak out? Perhaps it may be right by code, or many think it's right, but it's wrong on so many levels that you may justify. Call this, your crusade.

For example, one of the things that drives me nuts is guys that don't pipe their PRV's (T & P or just straight PRV's) to a drain or have some provision so that if they go off, they don't flood the place or cause any water damage. I have seen a few examples of this (yet they still have to incorporate an air break, etc.)

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
plugging a PRV. installing a tankless heater right on top of a gas meter. dielectric unions...on anything. Guys that have nicer trucks than me...that pisses me off too!!!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
1) Unlevel piping
2) Purple primer slung all over piping instead of inside fitting where it should be
3) Flexible tailpieces under KS
4) Not wiping solder joints for clean looking joints

All I could think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Oh!

( Just because someone leaves themselves wide open is no reason for me to take advantage )

( if someone else wants to ask whats on the left--feel free--I couldnt do it)

·
Registered
752 Posts
sheetrock screws holding wc flanges

band iron with sheetrock screws supporting no hub

un level or plumb piping

air chambers installed on horizontal piping to fixtures

using 90s for offsets in spots where 45s would work

scorched wood

and much much more..............

·
Registered
344 Posts
Gate vales or compression stops on a water heater. That just tweaks me. The worst of it is, some of the folks that install that crud are so proud of it, they put their name on a sticker and paste it on the heater for the next plumber to read.

To me, it always seems to read, "WeDon'tReallyCare Plumbing, Nothing is too cheap for us."

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
  1. People wiping hot solder joints (makes for a bad joint even if it looks cleaner.)
  2. No dielectric unions on water heaters. ( Its code here in Illinois) or a brass fitting to make the transition to dissimilar metals.
  3. Lack of proper backflow prevention.
Them are the big three that get under my skin.

·
Registered
590 Posts
For example, one of the things that drives me nuts is guys that don't pipe their PRV's (T & P or just straight PRV's) to a drain or have some provision so that if they go off, they don't flood the place or cause any water damage. I have seen a few examples of this (yet they still have to incorporate an air break, etc.)
Since when does a PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) have a blow off or are you talking about a RPZ (Reduced Pressure Zone Backflow Preventer)?

·
AKA house plumber
3,560 Posts
1. Purple worms. (running primer. I'll make my helper cut them out and redo it.)
2. Solder drips
3. Hand bent supply tubes. (Don't be cheap and go buy a bender) I have to post a picture of one this kid at our shop did.
4. Putting offset flanges on at trim time.
5. A messy truck
6. I know there is more. but it's all i can think of right now.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x157/1rmrider/supplytube.jpg

·
Registered
1,854 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
My biggest peeve I guess would be people rigging stuff because they are too lazy to go get the right part. I was at a mainline the other day were someone put in one of those expandable plugs because the threads are shot and the plug he had was for end of pipe and was too small for the threaded fitting so the guy just caked it with bowl wax..

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
My biggest peeve I guess would be people rigging stuff because they are too lazy to go get the right part. I was at a mainline the other day were someone put in one of those expandable plugs because the threads are shot and the plug he had was for end of pipe and was too small for the threaded fitting so the guy just caked it with bowl wax..

I ran into a main line where they guy used an expansion plug and put tape on the rubber to thicken it up. The other guy told the home owner that it is real hard to find 3" brass plugs anymore. After I was done I ran my 3" tap to clear the threads and installed a nice shiny new brass plug. The home owner was amazed I had one on the truck. I showed him I have dozens of them. I would of rather seen a lead-fit-all on there than the rigged expansion plug.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
AAV's

CSST

PEX

Flex Supplies

Plastic Toilet Flanges, Plastic Closet bolts

Plastic J hangers

Compression Stops

Flex lines on water heaters

Wrong side up san tees on vent piping

Crooked pipes

And finally the last journeyman to tell me "can't see it from my house" I gave the opportunity to try.

My biggest rant though is plumbers who are blind to the damage being done to the trade by the industry and worse yet the plumbers themselves as we strive to find easier, faster and cheaper ways to get the job done. If you don't have the time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find the time to do it all over again? This notion that everything has to be quick fitting, no tools required and no experiance necessary is KILLING us. There is very little pride in workmanship anymore. Slinging plastic all over a basement and convincing yourself that it looks good, or at least good enough is insanity. And then you sit and wonder why the phone ain't ringing. It ain't ringing because Joe Hack doesn't need your skill any more. He can go on down the the Cheepo-Deepot and pick up a roll of pex and a handfull of sharkbites and SCREW YOU! Hell, he can even get a gas boiler or water heater along with all the crapo to hook it up all by himself. Even drain cleaning takes a hit because the Deepot sells snakes and chemicals and all kinds of stuff designed to bypass your abilities. Meanwhile the PHHC sits, sucking down martini's while the manufacturers line their pockets in exchange for the whole sale slaughter of the licensed plumber. The only way this will stop is if WE stop it. Stop selling and installing crap. Stop this "get in, get out" mentality. stay informed and lean on your local PHCC and plumbers board before it's too damn late.

Where's my soap box, Who took my damned soap box?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts