Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
I ended up building my own jetter out of a 4000psi pressure washer, bought my tips and hoses through Spartan. And added a booster heater. Got about $700 invested. Trying to figure out how to get more volume through it. It’s fine from Minors. Next project I’m gonna build a trailer sized w/ 250 gallon tank. Any ideas how to increase the gpms. I originally thought booster pump but I’m only picturing that boosting pressure

The only way to get more volume at the same pressure is by using a larger pump with larger passageways. This also means you will either get less pressure for the same price or will have to pay a lot more to match the pressure of the old pump and have more flow.

When you make the passageways larger you increase their surface area exponentially, not linearly. The larger surface area you have the stronger your material must be to have your water at the same pressure. This makes the cost of manufacturing such a pump much more expensive.

Look at a pipe chart and you'll see that a 1" pipe has a much higher pressure rating than a 4" pipe even though the 4" pipe has a bit thicker wall. Remember that PSI stands for pounds per SQUARE INCH.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Mini-Jetter For the win!!

Food **** with lots of rust because of garbage no-hub cast iron drain pipe used for the kitchen sink and everything else. You know your pipe is bad when it's only used because it doesn't light on fire.

Phucking lazy maintenance guy put a gallon of sulfuric acid in and rotted out the chrome trap. Walked in the lobby door and two floors of this condo building wreaked of sulfur compounds. It was really bad, and I normally don't have a problem with chemical drain cleaners.

View attachment 126690

View attachment 126691
What would you charge for a job like this???im sure you tried to cable it also,then the mini,just cur as to what you charged for this

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
What would you charge for a job like this???im sure you tried to cable it also,then the mini,just cur as to what you charged for this

No, I didn't bother trying to cable it. I don't even keep a snake cable on the van for situations like this, the mini-jetter has supplanted the 5/16" and 3/8" cables I used to carry.
I do carry a new 1/4"x25' cable that I cut into smaller cables and chuck in my drill for tubs/showers/lav sinks.

95$/hr plus a 65$ snaking fee, travel to the job is charged at the 95$/hr labor rate. This job was 3hrs of labor and the couple no-hub connectors. So just over 400$ plus tax I guess, I don't do billing.

That 95$/hr labor rate is the highest in our area and only one other one-man company charges that much. Thus for regular plumbing and heating service we are the most expensive if you don't have a service agreement. We also add a 5$ consumables fee to every bill.

For drain snaking we are the cheapest. Most of the other shops almost never snake drains and when they do it's 2 or 3 guys who show up and none of them has a clue. The one other guy who does know what he's doing does it reluctantly and charges a lot. Rotorooter comes from a little way away and they charge insane rates so they aren't a factor in our area.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
............im sure you tried to cable it also..........
The 2" No-hub ran at least 40' before tying into the 4" under the slab. Cabling no-hub is terrible because it's mostly rust and hard grease.

·
Super Moderator
10,366 Posts
I have a pressure washer and some cheap jetter hoses from eBay. I’ve used it only a handful of times, mostly for exterior black corrugated pipe, a few kitchen lines, but it’s application is limited being gas powered.
This last summer one of my best PMCs bought a couple houses. One was a slab, they added a bedroom, full bath in an unusable room and remodeled the kitchen. Once the cabinets were ripped out we discovered the kitchen was a 4” cast. About 12’ away it picked up the laundry. We relocated the kitchen drain and installed a 4” clean out at the laundry, however the 4” from the laundry to the existing bathroom was nothing but sludge. I cabled, blow bagged and video with no real effect. Instead of call for a jetter they asked me to give my pressure washer a try. Told them it was a chance, no guarantees. Hooked it up to the new heater and ran it back and forth a half dozen times or so. Put the camera down and sure enough the line was as clean as it could be.

Years ago when I worked for a guy we took care of a local chain of a national pizza restaurants. One of the guys I worked with went to clean the grease interceptor and jet the line. He was more of a plumber than a drain cleaner and the line backed up within a week. I was sent there with the camera and the POS General cart jetter that we had. To get it cleaned right I had to cable it too.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
............. To get it cleaned right I had to cable it too.
Often hard grease build up needs cabling to clear QUICKLY. I prefer to cut the drain pipe apart and push the grease out with a stick, rod, or pipe by hand.

The mini-jetter does do a really good job though, especially in 1-1/2" and 2" pipe even with hard grease buildup. In small pipe the grease is right against the nozzle so it gets cut easily. It's also important to go slow, spin the hose a lot, and go two steps foward, one step back. I also usually run the camera to identify problem areas that need more work.

Yes that process is involved but it's rare I need to do that as most houses around me have basements or crawl spaces where I can access the pipe. On rare occasions I will call back for the drill snake or tell the customer we must come back with one, but that's maybe once a year.

The biggest issue I run into is galv pipe with straight tees and tight elbows that cause the snake to go the wrong way or not go anywhere at all.

·
Super Moderator
10,366 Posts
Often hard grease build up needs cabling to clear QUICKLY. I prefer to cut the drain pipe apart and push the grease out with a stick, rod, or pipe by hand.

The mini-jetter does do a really good job though, especially in 1-1/2" and 2" pipe even with hard grease buildup. In small pipe the grease is right against the nozzle so it gets cut easily. It's also important to go slow, spin the hose a lot, and go two steps foward, one step back. I also usually run the camera to identify problem areas that need more work.

Yes that process is involved but it's rare I need to do that as most houses around me have basements or crawl spaces where I can access the pipe. On rare occasions I will call back for the drill snake or tell the customer we must come back with one, but that's maybe once a year.

The biggest issue I run into is galv pipe with straight tees and tight elbows that cause the snake to go the wrong way or not go anywhere at all.
My house has an in-law suite that hadn’t been used in decades. When I semi remodeled the kitchen sink was backed up. I did my darnedest to cable it with a 100 but just couldn’t get more than a few feet. About a 10’ run. Ended up cutting the old galvi out. The “sludge” had turned into a concrete like material. I literally had to take a hammer and screw driver to chip the crap in the pipe! Ran across the same situation in a 20s metal lathe and plaster apartment building that, thankfully I don’t deal with anymore.

Slightly off topic.....

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
My house has an in-law suite that hadn’t been used in decades. When I semi remodeled the kitchen sink was backed up. I did my darnedest to cable it with a 100 but just couldn’t get more than a few feet. About a 10’ run. Ended up cutting the old galvi out. The “sludge” had turned into a concrete like material. I literally had to take a hammer and screw driver to chip the crap in the pipe! Ran across the same situation in a 20s metal lathe and plaster apartment building that, thankfully I don’t deal with anymore.

Slightly off topic.....
That ain't off topic, that's the kind of thing the mini-jetter might be able to get open. When it's under a slab it's often worth trying and it often pays off.

We bought the mini-jetter specifically because we had a house plumbed with no-hub and the master lav and tub were clogged. Must have been a vertical 10' solid with rust that fell down the vent over time. Until it finally opened it all came back into my bucket, must have been at least 2 pounds of rust flakes when I dumped the buckets out.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

Ran into this the other day,old house had 11/4" galvanized ran to a lavatory and cable kept goin up vent,went back next day with another guy and ran cable and it went thru,I was goin hard at it thinkin I was in the drain,all of a sudden my guy says your cable is coming out the back wall lololo,it had poked a hole in rotten galvanized and drilled a hole thru the wood on the wall scratching up a hardwood floor lolololol

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Ran into this the other day,old house had 11/4" galvanized ran to a lavatory and cable kept goin up vent,went back next day with another guy and ran cable and it went thru,I was goin hard at it thinkin I was in the drain,all of a sudden my guy says your cable is coming out the back wall lololo,it had poked a hole in rotten galvanized and drilled a hole thru the wood on the wall scratching up a hardwood floor lolololol
I had a house a couple years ago, I schit you not I hear something on the bathroom window and notice it had started raining. I kept running the mini-jetter and the caretaker goes HEY! The jetters dangling off the roof! Lolz.

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·

And I bet the customer demanded you fix the pipe, fix the wall and floors for free because you destroyed the pipe?

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I had a house a couple years ago, I schit you not I hear something on the bathroom window and notice it had started raining. I kept running the mini-jetter and the caretaker goes HEY! The jetters dangling off the roof! Lolz.
My cable went on the roof from the kitchen line one time and came back down and I saw it twirl in the window!

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
And I bet the customer demanded you fix the pipe, fix the wall and floors for free because you destroyed the pipe?
We've all had incidents, I've been lucky as far as liability on pretty much all of them. here's a few.

Way back I had the last 5' of my cable break off when snaking a waste line to a septic tank. I put a repair head on and my smallest cutter and got it unclogged. Ran the camera and found out they tied the pool drain plug into the septic!!!! My cable went up the leg of the tee the first time and got stuck in the plug mechanism. I almost schit a brick when I realized I could have ended up with 9,000 gallons of pool water shooting out the cleanout at me.

Had a lady with a grounding rod through her waster line, right in the middle. I had snaked the line many times over the years and it wasn't there. She'd had a new panel put. I got the roots and the line drained, went to pull back the big root ball and it wouldn't come back past the grounding rod. Broke off my head and a foot or two. Told her she needed to have it dug up. Luckily it was only a foot deep and right next to the house.

The one that really sucked, luckily wasn't my fault, but one of our slackers had plumbed the house like 5 years prior and used a double wye. He put it on the horizontal in the ceiling of a finished basement. The fitting was yellow as all get out from sitting in the sun, never ordered, in a supply house for years. Why he thought this was okay is beyond me, aside from the fact it's against code to put them on the horizontal. I assume the inspector had never seen one and figured since wyes were fine on their side it would be too.

My cable came from one leg and the bit grabbed the crotch of the wye on the other side. I had like 80' of cable out so it built up a lot of tension, the head slipped, spun real fast and smashed a hole in the side of the brittle fitting dumping roughly 60 gallons of sewage into the ceiling.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
That's some funny stuff,people have no idea what we go thru,i like to have someone with me when cabling drains to help listen to where it's at,if it went up vent,if it is in basement,if it's out the roof whatever

·
Super Moderator
10,366 Posts
My cable went on the roof from the kitchen line one time and came back down and I saw it twirl in the window!
Years ago I had to cable a main through a crawl space house. Upper 90° day. I fought it hard for about 80’ until I took a break. Happened to look out the window to see my cable in a nice coil in the back yard.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Years ago I had to cable a main through a crawl space house. Upper 90° day. I fought it hard for about 80’ until I took a break. Happened to look out the window to see my cable in a nice coil in the back yard.
I was fighting with one, took me over 30 minutes to get it back and when I did it had a rust flake covered plastic shopping bag tied up on the end. When I showed up the guy admitted they never pumped the tank in the 20+ years they had been there. It was a really old house, stone foundation, prewar cast iron, and several barns out back.

My manager showed up as I was finishing and he was astonished with the bag I pulled out. We walked out back to prospect where the tank might be. He noticed in the light snow cable marks!! We followed them under the attached deck to find it had popped through the lid on an old sears tank. There was some trash under the porch including a couple more bags lolz

They ended up getting a whole new septic system, luckily they had the perfect land for it. But there was one more hiccup. I get a call three days after the new system went in because it was already backing up! The tank couldn't even be filled yet!

Some dingle berry had put the outlet filter in the inlet tee!!!!! We think the VERY NEW inspector swapped it thinking the excavator put it in the wrong place.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Nope,this was and upstairs bathroom and he was disabled and not able to climb the stairs so he never knew about it,but yes I did have to remove the wood on the wall to get access to the galvi drain line to replace it,in other words we got lucky lololololololo

·
Registered
22 Posts
We bought the general mini jetter a few months ago, but no one but me has tried it out. I first tested it out running it up my downspout and it worked pretty damn well actually.

Yesterday I decided to try it out on a partially blocked kitchen drain. Cut in a cleanout and went through 1 1/2” brass Tee no problem. Got to base of stack under the slab in the basement and I had a lot of diccuculty getting pat the 90. I got past it after 10 min of trying and cleared blockage approx 20’ from kitchen c.o. Tried sending it down again for practice and couldn’t get past the 90 again tried for 20 min and just gave up. Sent a snake down no problem. Is there a technique to get past 90’s. I tried multiple heads and had the same result the second time.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
We bought the general mini jetter a few months ago, but no one but me has tried it out. I first tested it out running it up my downspout and it worked pretty damn well actually.

Yesterday I decided to try it out on a partially blocked kitchen drain. Cut in a cleanout and went through 1 1/2” brass Tee no problem. Got to base of stack under the slab in the basement and I had a lot of diccuculty getting pat the 90. I got past it after 10 min of trying and cleared blockage approx 20’ from kitchen c.o. Tried sending it down again for practice and couldn’t get past the 90 again tried for 20 min and just gave up. Sent a snake down no problem. Is there a technique to get past 90’s. I tried multiple heads and had the same result the second time.
Put a VERY slight bend in the hose about an inch before the crimped on fitting. It does take some practice to learn the feel of it, when to push as you turn the cable. I use it a couple times a month on galv and cast. It's great for rust and grease. 1-1/2" lines can be very challenging.

It doesn't build up tension like a normal snake cable, so when it catches and you twist, YOU have to provide the forward motion to get it to jump over an edge.

I only use the nozzle with the forward hole btw.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts