Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
The small elec jetters by General wire (not the one in the box) Are 1500 PSI and 1700 PSI you can use either 1/8 or 1/4 hose... I would recommend buying the heads and not trying to drill your own, kits of 4 or 5 heads are cheap... In addition you can get some lead hose that is a little stiffer (wire braid in the sheathing) in both sizes and drop head nozzles (the ones that have balls in front) from jetters north west and other places that make going though traps and 90's better...

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Tango did you end up buying yourself a mainline machine? I seen you mentioned something about cleaning a mainline in a earlier post in this thread..

On a side note Im personally not a huge fan of using those mini jetters (plug in) Like im sure they work but for the price tag you could get yourself a chunk of hose and a small gas pressure washer and do the same thing..

Tango you mentioned about shortest way to go from 1/8x 1/4 best way is use stainless bushing they last longer if price is a big deal then use galv.. we dont use quick connects just don't trust them threads are stronger of course everything wears eventually.. if you want a premium nozzle then i recommend a company called shamrock nozzles they make quality stuff.. as you know you gotta pay for it though... They custom drill nozzles specific to you machines specs.. they have potential to last hundreds of cleanings

I will not use any tool that comes with ascociated risks that isn't CSA/ULC or other approved stamps for the job because insurance will not cover me. Also the jetter has a pulse to help prevent the hose from getting stuck. Gas jetter and 300 feet of hose in the snow bank and into a kitchen with the door ajar, the cat escapes, Good luck to grab the cat again, haha nope!

I own a K-3800 and K-45AF and other stuff. Yes I do some 4" pipes with success but I really choose in which house I will try it.

I bought some nozzles and with all fees on top of that it ended up costing half the price of the machine.

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
Check out Aqua Mole jetter nozzles. They are the best custom drilled nozzles I have ever used. They have sets with unique patterns that really help out on those tough lines.

http://www.aquamole.com/home

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Check out Aqua Mole jetter nozzles. They are the best custom drilled nozzles I have ever used. They have sets with unique patterns that really help out on those tough lines.

http://www.aquamole.com/home
I bet you those are the same nozzles as mytana, even the box is the same!

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I ordered a set from Mytana and must of gotten a nozzle that's defective it turned color and rust spots started to pop up. I'm waiting for a tech at Mytana to call me back. They'll have to send another one and it they better pay all the fees to have it shipped here!

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
So tango, did you get you mini-jet yet? How do you like it?

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Btw, how's the mini jetter serving you?

Only used 3 times for customers. The last use of it was a freaking joke, I had to get the 3800. So I only got paid to use it 1.5 times. A long ways to recoup the investment. I probably spent just as much as the jetter itself in accessories for it to be used according to the situation at hand.

It did serve as a secret weapon though which was the reason I bought it.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Only used 3 times for customers. The last use of it was a freaking joke, I had to get the 3800. So I only got paid to use it 1.5 times. A long ways to recoup the investment. I probably spent just as much as the jetter itself in accessories for it to be used according to the situation at hand.

It did serve as a secret weapon though which was the reason I bought it.

What was the situation it couldn't get? I use mine for 1-1/2" lines that are filled with grease or rust. I get a lot of drain snaking calls so mine got paid off prety quickly even though I use it on only a small percentage of my calls.

Reactions: MASTRPLUMB

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
What was the situation it couldn't get? I use mine for 1-1/2" lines that are filled with grease or rust. I get a lot of drain snaking calls so mine got paid off prety quickly even though I use it on only a small percentage of my calls.

On 1 1/2" pipe :

One single 90 and that's all she wrote. If your'e extremely lucky and fool around another 20 minutes I might be able to go through a second 90 or something but rarely. I've been defeated by a single 90 after the san tee in a 3 story condo complex, I couldn't do the stack so I had to use the 3800 with a special lead (Like all the drains I do)

In a 2" CI I made one bend and jerked for 15 minutes to do a second bend with a spring lead. I cleaned it inch by inch for 20-30 minutes and it was still clogged. I had to pull the 3800 once again.

·
Registered
363 Posts
How do you try to get it through? Do you loop it and push in while working the loop or do you just push and pull?
I'm surprised you can't get through with the general head with the coil in front. I've used that one to get through 1 1/2" cast iron traps. Not with 100 percent success rate but definitely over 50 percent of the time. I use it with my 1/8" and 3/16" hoses.

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
How do you try to get it through? Do you loop it and push in while working the loop or do you just push and pull?
I'm surprised you can't get through with the general head with the coil in front. I've used that one to get through 1 1/2" cast iron traps. Not with 100 percent success rate but definitely over 50 percent of the time. I use it with my 1/8" and 3/16" hoses.
I tried every technique I could think of and I even tried to strengthen the hose wrapped in a pex pipe to push or jam it in.

I also tried the loop and twisting at the same time. Always the same results. I even built myself a pipe set with different types of bends. Short 90's, long 90's, 2x45 glued together. I worked the set every day for 2 weeks.

I even bought 500$ set of nozzles with a drop head. It's still misery.

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
948 Posts
Twist and throw is my method when trying to get through bends.. personally i snake 90 percent 1st anyways and kind of know where bends are...

i think your jet will be best utilized from stack c.os in basement Tango.. or use the machine how all jetters are designed to jet from downstream back wards up stream..

for the peashooter id stick to greasey lines that A have already been snaked and use jet for final clean or B lines that are gooey and you couldnt get it clear with snake..

I never use jetter unless I have to... usually sludge lines or really bad kitchen horizontals ill work from a cleanout below and flush down first to make sure its open the flush up to clean the overhead horizontal..

jetting plugged lines is a mess and I rathher focusnmy energy on cleaning the drain rather than cleaning the floor, walls etc

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Twist and throw is my method when trying to get through bends.. personally i snake 90 percent 1st anyways and kind of know where bends are...

i think your jet will be best utilized from stack c.os in basement Tango.. or use the machine how all jetters are designed to jet from downstream back wards up stream..

for the peashooter id stick to greasey lines that A have already been snaked and use jet for final clean or B lines that are gooey and you couldnt get it clear with snake..

I never use jetter unless I have to... usually sludge lines or really bad kitchen horizontals ill work from a cleanout below and flush down first to make sure its open the flush up to clean the overhead horizontal..

jetting plugged lines is a mess and I rathher focusnmy energy on cleaning the drain rather than cleaning the floor, walls etc

I want to use it mostly for kitchen 1 1/2" lines once it has been unclogged. I agree it would be best upstream but C/O are hidden behind drywall and they won't accept me to cut a bunch of holes guessing where it could be. Then going upstream if I see one, it wouldn't divert and go to the trap arm.

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
948 Posts

I want to use it mostly for kitchen 1 1/2" lines once it has been unclogged. I agree it would be best upstream but C/O are hidden behind drywall and they won't accept me to cut a bunch of holes guessing where it could be. Then going upstream if I see one, it wouldn't divert and go to the trap arm.
Posting a video shortly its lengthy so i wont get mad if you abort half way through... but its r-2000 houses and how they are built in my area and what were dealing with in kitchen fiascos

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Mini-Jetter For the win!!

Food **** with lots of rust because of garbage no-hub cast iron drain pipe used for the kitchen sink and everything else. You know your pipe is bad when it's only used because it doesn't light on fire.

Phucking lazy maintenance guy put a gallon of sulfuric acid in and rotted out the chrome trap. Walked in the lobby door and two floors of this condo building wreaked of sulfur compounds. It was really bad, and I normally don't have a problem with chemical drain cleaners.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's really hard to get stuff from the states when these are not common like mini jetter for example. Most sellers will not ship to Canada so I'm very limited. I clear all my kitchen lines with the 3800 with 5/16" cable however this week I couldn't get it clear enough to stop gurgling at the floor drain below. After 2 hours I found a clean out and was able to use my 3/8 cable with a spade with 2 passes very slow. Maybe the jetter would of been a good solution if I wouldn't of found a C/O?

I can get a good deal on a new JM-1000-B (50' hoses) 1150$CAD taxes included. The other issue I would always to have to bring it inside during the winter(freeze and break), and bring it onboard if I get a kitchen call.
I ended up building my own jetter out of a 4000psi pressure washer, bought my tips and hoses through Spartan. And added a booster heater. Got about $700 invested. Trying to figure out how to get more volume through it. It’s fine from Minors. Next project I’m gonna build a trailer sized w/ 250 gallon tank. Any ideas how to increase the gpms. I originally thought booster pump but I’m only picturing that boosting pressure

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
I ended up building my own jetter out of a 4000psi pressure washer, bought my tips and hoses through Spartan. And added a booster heater. Got about $700 invested. Trying to figure out how to get more volume through it. It’s fine from Minors. Next project I’m gonna build a trailer sized w/ 250 gallon tank. Any ideas how to increase the gpms. I originally thought booster pump but I’m only picturing that boosting pressure
I'm no expert about jetters, All I know is my mini machine. I'm a neophyte and rarely use it, I used it as many times washing my car than drains.

·
Registered
92 Posts
@Fatpat Can you take a picture of the nozzles and spring lead and are the threads 1/4NPT?
Yes 1/4” and 3/8” depending on which size hose. Spartan makes 2 really good trap leads/ trap jumpers one for 1-1/2-2” and my favorite is the braised steel one with the big brass ball on the end it turns 2”-3” 4” trap with ease pull it up twice like a yo-yo and 3rd let it goes amd away it goes

41 - 60 of 85 Posts