Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the things that makes me laugh my ass off is when a new hire lies and says they can do things on the interview and then they get to the job and they are clueless...

We have all seen these types I am sure, through our careers ,

Lets make a list of the worst things or excuses, I will start

You know you / or your boss should not hire him when:....
( There are all true )

1. You tell him to start in the basement with the house trap and he replies " Oh com on dude, it's my first day, Why do I have to do dangerous things like install "traps" "
  2. You catch him applying duck butter as if it were flux
  3. Your on a rough and think the shower bodies look good and he did a great job until you notice that they are all installed upside down....
  4. The same shower bodies that he just installed in #3 have all the cartriges melted from over heating
  5. He try's telling the coffee truck guy that it was ok to bill his lunch to your tab
Ok, I will add more later , Let's here your's

Start with #6 and lets keep the list moving :)

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I changed shops so I could work closer to home and get a small raise when I first got into the trade. I didn't know jackshit about plumbing yet as I only had about 6 months experience. I remember in the interview, that I was talking like I was some super-knowledgeable apprentice.:whistling2: I was "blowing smoke" but I think my new boss could tell, because he was kind of smirking during the interview. He was impressed with my ambitious attitude and he knew my grandfather, so I was hired.:thumbup:
I worked there for several years and learned the trade. I have worked at 6 different shops over the years (mainly only 2, the others for only short periosd of time because they sucked), and luckily the shop where I apprenticed was the best quality shop I ever worked at. The best plumbers I ever worked with, they taught me a ton of stuff over the years.

So here is a shout out to J.P. Mulvey Plumbing & Heating of Long Island, NY. You guys are awesome and I owe a lot to your teaching back in the 90s. Thanks for hiring me even if I was "blowing smoke" during the interview.:icon_lol:

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@service guy:)

Ok, I will man up and say I did that once to when I was a helper.

Boss interviewing asked me: "Hey , can you vent", I said yea.

He said ok, name three kinds......Uh o........

I said man, I just want to plumb, He goes ok, your hired but not as a mechanic :)

But that was the only time for me ...... But I sure did love the excuses from others I listed above

@Oh crap dude,. I am from Long Island :)

·
Muck me?
700 Posts
We just hired a guy for insulating. he said he did it for years. I give him 2 boxes on fiberglass inslation and he said " oh i never used this stuff before" come on. All he ever used was armor flex. come on.....

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We just hired a guy for insulating. he said he did it for years. I give him 2 boxes on fiberglass inslation and he said " oh i never used this stuff before" come on. All he ever used was armor flex. come on.....

LOL - see haha thats what I am talking about :laughing:

·
Muck me?
700 Posts
we hired him like 3 months ago and all he's been doing is insulating so its a win for me cause i hate doing it. and it a win for him cause know hwe knows how to insulate fiberglass

·
Muck me?
700 Posts
I meet a new guy today and the funnest thing was watching him try to put a battery with charger on the sazall. We were giggling all day. But after talking to him he is as green as can be . so we laughed at the laborer, thats not to bad is it?

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Off course not man , its all in good fun, we all have to earn our way up the ranks, if everything was easy and cheeezy there would be no such thing as skill,

It happens to all of us, I still don't know tons of stuff

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
This is for real!
I - Unload the truck and take it to the basement.

Helper - Where is that at?

This was the same kid who couldn't change a tire on the truck. But he can tell how to play video games.

:blink::blink::blink:

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Years ago I was working in a factory maint department.
My boss was a clown that was clueless as far as anything we were doing.
Anyway he decides to add one more guy and I get to talk to him show him around but I have no say at all on whether or, not he gets hired.
This guy stricks me as being dummer than a rock...
I mean if he had 1 less IQ point his eyes wouldn't point in the same direction.
I told the boss that.
Sure enough he's hired!

We had a gas unit heater that was down and I had checked it out earlier and found the switch supplying it with power was no good. I had gotten run onto something that was more important and sent the idiot up to replace the switch...

A couple of hours later I finished what I was doing and stopped by to check on him...

The switch is removed but not replaced.

I go back to the shop and found him sitting at the bench with the switch all disassembled looking at contacts and springs n stuff...

WTF!
I had never seen anyone take one of these apart before!

I knew it was time to move on!:whistling2:

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Years ago I was working in a factory maint department.
My boss was a clown that was clueless as far as anything we were doing.
Anyway he decides to add one more guy and I get to talk to him show him around but I have no say at all on whether or, not he gets hired.
This guy stricks me as being dummer than a rock...
I mean if he had 1 less IQ point his eyes wouldn't point in the same direction.
I told the boss that.
Sure enough he's hired!

We had a gas unit heater that was down and I had checked it out earlier and found the switch supplying it with power was no good. I had gotten run onto something that was more important and sent the idiot up to replace the switch...

A couple of hours later I finished what I was doing and stopped by to check on him...

The switch is removed but not replaced.

I go back to the shop and found him sitting at the bench with the switch all disassembled looking at contacts and springs n stuff...

WTF!
I had never seen anyone take one of these apart before!

I knew it was time to move on!:whistling2:

hahaha .....maybe he was "just making sure" it was the switch...now thats funny :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts