Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know they are over priced and that they don't deliver on what they claim. What I would really like to have though is specific call data from anyone willing to share, including size of ad, which directory it is found in (is it the primary directory choice for most people in your area), # of viable calls per month (actual potential customers, not sales calls, wrong numbers, etc.) and call booking percentage for those viable calls. Revenue numbers don't matter because they will be different for everybody but whether you charge a service charge (or whatever you call it) to come out will probably affect your booking percentage so please indicate if you do or don't charge it.

I'm about to sign on the dotted line for probably a 1/2 page ad in the AT&T Real Yellow Pages and I am not excited about it at all. I am not commited at this point and would love to get anybody's input about this. If nothing changes my course though, I will be signing pretty soon to the tune of 1k - 1.2k per month for the whole year.

I have dabbled around in some satelite books and have not been impressed at all so I'm going to give the Big Dogs a shot. Any info is appreciated!

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I don't have any exact numbers for you, but I have one word of advice: CONTENT AND DESIGN can be more important than size! You can have a fullpage ad thats stinks for content, or a half-page ad that is excellently designed and will outperform the fullpage ad.
I learned that the hard way. Last year I threw together a small, crappy ad and it didn't perform. This year I spent hours upon hours researching yellowpages marketing and designed a professional ad with a great headline and a great picture...also its a bit bigger so I am hoping for a good response.
Good luck.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any exact numbers for you, but I have one word of advice: CONTENT AND DESIGN can be more important than size! You can have a fullpage ad thats stinks for content, or a half-page ad that is excellently designed and will outperform the fullpage ad.
I learned that the hard way. Last year I threw together a small, crappy ad and it didn't perform. This year I spent hours upon hours researching yellowpages marketing and designed a professional ad with a great headline and a great picture...also its a bit bigger so I am hoping for a good response.
Good luck.
... but it hasn't actually run yet?

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
... but it hasn't actually run yet?
No, not yet released. I was just mentioning that researching yellowpage ad design and marketing strategies really helped create an (hopefully) effective ad. The YP sales rep will tell you its all about size and color, because thats what they get commissions on! But its not really, its all about having an effective design that encourages new clients to call you over the competition!
I visited websites of professional ad designers, and they have lots of free tips and advice as well as paid design services available. Some of the statistics and research was a real eye-opener to me about why some ads are effective and some aren't (even if they are the exact same size).
Just do a search for: "yellow pages advertising design" and its amazing how much helpful info. comes up.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I would be lost in my yellow pages, there are probably 50 or so pages packed with plumbers. NOT WORTH IT!!

It all depends on your area. I know another member here who does the yellow pages and he is first in his catagory, in his area, so for him it is perfect.

All based on area and placement. If I was gonna spend 1,000 a month, I would do postcards:thumbup:

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
The AT&T full page cost when I was a Fran. was 33-35K a year. I am SO glad we did not do it.
If I was going to do a 1/2 or 3/4 page I would make sure I was one of the 1st in that catagory or they may look right past you. Also see how many full pages are ahead of you. Give them something to make them call ya. Like free svc call when add is mentioned. We did a 1/4 with that and it worked. Made up on the free svc call with add-ons. Just a thought.
Svc Guy and I talked about adds on the phone and I would come up with something personal, like pics of you and the wife in the add. The fran. was against it so the consultant gal keep saying. The new consultant we got told us to do it. But we got out before we did that. He told another Fran about that and they did it. They got calls from that add before they got their copy.

btw- We had adds in 2 different areas. City and a rural area. The city we had a full page in a nice phone book and a 1/4 in the rural area pbook. We got more calls in the rural areas book (1/4) than the city full page. The full page was a newer pbook that came to that area which was NICE @ $535 a month. The quality of that book was over the top and we were the 1st page of the full pages.Since being out of the Fran we have been putting adds in the paper until the pbooks come out again. The newspaper has already paid for itself and then some. Steve Stone from Shubee told me to run flyers that customers want to keep and have them inserted into the papers. For example a calender with all emerg. phone #'s, mom and dad #'s, and hospital #'s. He mentioned that they would be more apt keep it and bring reconigtion to your logo/name. I have been wanting to do it but we are just getting rolling again. We are doing the newspaper as I have said, which basically what we were wanting to do back then but was turned away from it. I am busier now that when I was a Fran. Go figure.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was told [BIGGER was BETTER] by local plumbers that had ad's in the 2 local yellow pages 12 years ago. I played that game for a few years, the YP reps fed me that crap with big smiles on thier faces. WHAT A BUSINESS. Unlimited income with no gaurantee"s. A friend of mine has a Electric company, and told me he pays less than 1/2 of what I pay for the same size ad. He showed me, and I showed the rep.I don't use that yp any more.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
You must understand that if it is an emergency then when a customer looks in the yellow pages they usually go with the first one on the list. I know I would. Look and see how many others are there and figure out alphabetically where you would be at and make the call.

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
Ads

I had an ad last year. 1/2 inch big in bold leader head. I only gotten 5 calls on it. The 5 calls well paid for the ad for that year. It towards the back of the book (At&T).
This year I went through the Yellow Book which reaches out to more of an area (than just Indpls) I purchaused an 2x2 color add in 2 sections of the book. I also have coupons in the back of the book ($50.00 off of sevice call that is greater than $500.00 and $100.00 of service call greater than $1000.00) One of my ads is under plumbing contractors and the other add is accually under water heaters heading but the ad fell on to the next page under water main connections. so I kinda have it in 3 places. I paid $2400.00 it like 206.00 a month. It's all I had in the budget for this year! next year I will have a bigger ad.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
You must understand that if it is an emergency then when a customer looks in the yellow pages they usually go with the first one on the list. I know I would. Look and see how many others are there and figure out alphabetically where you would be at and make the call.
Alphabetical doesn't matter with the larger paid display ads. The placement is all based on the size of the ad, how much you pay and how long you've been advertising with the publisher. Go and open any phonebook to the plumber's section and the first thing you'll usually see is a full-page color ad at the beginning of the plumber's listing area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts