Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy called me today, he and a hack replaced a bathtub and faucet on a second floor condo. When he turns on the water for the tub the water will still go to the shower head too. Moen told him the issue was because they used pex to the tub spout. Because it creates a restriction some water will rise to the shower head. He told me he was removing the kitchen cabinets this week end to cut a hole in the wall to put some copper in.

What I wonder if I should take on the job because the issue is not the faucet really but the drain, what if it leaks and the guy calls me later blaming me for a leak. Because the faucet is so close he can mistake a leak. By law I'm obliged to go check it out if it was my fault or not. I guess I could always make a large opening behind the escutcheon to be able to slide a mini cam in the future.

Told the guy to send some pics but I didn't give any guarantee I would take on the hack job.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
1,083 Posts
walk away from this one. It’s condo work! which adds a whole other level of who is responsible for what.
If a homeowner and a hack did ANYTHING plumbing wise, you can and prob will get caught up in it. Then your insurance and the review board etc.
walk away. It’s not worth the fight for the few $ you will make if sheit hits the fan.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
205 Posts
I’d pass on this job but the kitchen sink job in winners doesn’t look too bad to me. It looks like you could probably cut the wall open under the kitchen sink and just lower the TY and if there’s a waste arm you could see if it runs behind the dishwasher and do the same thing there.

·
Super Moderator
8,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d pass on this job but the kitchen sink job in winners doesn’t look too bad to me. It looks like you could probably cut the wall open under the kitchen sink and just lower the TY and if there’s a waste arm you could see if it runs behind the dishwasher and do the same thing there.
The drain turns left in the exterior wall in the back of 2 more cabinets. The guy needs to take the whole cabinet out because I won't fit in there. This drain then connects to the main 3" stack. Again in order to gain access I'd have to squeeze in the cabinet sideways and work with only one hand. I did that a year ago and it was total hell, I was burnt out for 2 days after that. If someone would of called for a service call I would of been incapable it had strained the muscles out completely. I told the guy the proper way would be to remove the entire granite countertop and cabinets. He also told me he had worked on the main stack, so I bet its going to be all done wrong too.

Doing it under the floor I could make a new drain however there wouldn't be any vent. I'm calling the guy tomorrow morning to count me out. I don't want him to cut the ceiling out and expect me to go.

I can't save the whole world, it's too much.

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
its worth it if you can make enough money to cover the aggravation and liability......that goes for any job...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Guy called me today, he and a hack replaced a bathtub and faucet on a second floor condo. When he turns on the water for the tub the water will still go to the shower head too. Moen told him the issue was because they used pex to the tub spout. Because it creates a restriction some water will rise to the shower head. He told me he was removing the kitchen cabinets this week end to cut a hole in the wall to put some copper in.

What I wonder if I should take on the job because the issue is not the faucet really but the drain, what if it leaks and the guy calls me later blaming me for a leak. Because the faucet is so close he can mistake a leak. By law I'm obliged to go check it out if it was my fault or not. I guess I could always make a large opening behind the escutcheon to be able to slide a mini cam in the future.

Told the guy to send some pics but I didn't give any guarantee I would take on the hack job.
Take it

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Use short basket strainers would help a lot then just build a deeper trap if it's high enough,get your money and go to the next one

·
Super Moderator
8,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its worth it if you can make enough money to cover the aggravation and liability......that goes for any job...
It's easy to say make enough money but if they don't want to pay they won't go for it.

That's just it too much aggravation, the whole pipe mess needs to be redone and the customer sure ain't going to pay. There's a reason why they do it themselves and hire hacks, to save as much as they can. They will never want to pay to start all over again. I told the guy I'd be there all day but no he said it would be to much it seemed like he wanted a quick magical fix.

This one deserves flat rate at 4x-5x what I would charge T/M.

·
Super Moderator
8,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just called the kitchen guy and he didn't understand the difference between a drain from a vent and didn't understand the cabinets had to be cut and or removed anyway. Told him I wasn't going to take the job. My bet is he's going to hire a hack or his neighbor GC and join the "winner's" circle and transfer the nightmare to the next owner when he sells the house in 7 years(military guy).

·
4th year apprentice
520 Posts
Are those basket strainers plastic?? Wtf?
I guess I've been lucky, most jobs I've done that have been hacked up by homeowners or their old Uncle Joe, they have learned their lesson and in some cases have realized that they're now paying me more than they would if they called a professional in the first place. Often they've just resigned themselves by then that it will cost money. Some have even been apologetic or embarrassed. I never give them a hard time. I'll usually point out something positive that they did, or say that at least they tried and finally realized their limitations and tell them a horror story about someone who didn't, especially if the shrew of a wife is running them down. Bros before hoes. No sense rubbing it in. Sometimes I gain them as a repeat customer.

·
Super Moderator
8,480 Posts
The drain turns left in the exterior wall in the back of 2 more cabinets. The guy needs to take the whole cabinet out because I won't fit in there. This drain then connects to the main 3" stack. Again in order to gain access I'd have to squeeze in the cabinet sideways and work with only one hand. I did that a year ago and it was total hell, I was burnt out for 2 days after that. If someone would of called for a service call I would of been incapable it had strained the muscles out completely. I told the guy the proper way would be to remove the entire granite countertop and cabinets. He also told me he had worked on the main stack, so I bet its going to be all done wrong too.

Doing it under the floor I could make a new drain however there wouldn't be any vent. I'm calling the guy tomorrow morning to count me out. I don't want him to cut the ceiling out and expect me to go.

I can't save the whole world, it's too much.

View attachment 128130
Could you sell them a shallower sink and shallow baskets?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts