Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the guy i used to work for had vans painted school bus yellow and people would talk about them all the time. there were only 4 vans but the average customer must have thought there were a dozen. people saw each one as it drove by and remembered it.

now i'm thinking what color to paint my new truck. 85% of the guys here have white vans or trucks with some lettering. there are 3 companies with colored vans. i think i need to paint my van something other than white to get noticed on the road. i don't know if i could own and drive a pink van but man, wouldn't it get noticed. would the attention that a pink van attracted be good or bad? what would it say about me other than "look at me"?

i'm realisticly thinking red but open to suggestion.

paul

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Pink??
Dunno about that color dude!

Monkeys look good in pink, but plumbers?

But maybe if it were 2 toned. Something similar to Starsky and Hutch car. Seriouse. Maybe pink and yellow would stand out.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see, that's the response i need to hear. i KNOW it'd get noticed but what would the public's opinion of a guy in a pink van be? i could probably do it, if i knew the reaction would be positive but i'm thinking in my gut that it wouldn't. there's already a ben franklin's in town who has blue trucks. then there's one truck left that's that yellow color and a company with 4 or so green trucks. i'm thinking fire engine red would pop out at you and not get me any funny looks.

paul

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I had that color with my old truck. Tell the truth, I liked it. Not too bad to keep clean, hid dents and pings pretty good too!

·
Casual Observer
82 Posts
I'd go with a Juicy Fruit yellow before pink. Unless your new company is "The Plumbing Princess." Our trucks are blue box trucks and they get noticed. I think with a sharp logo and good signage go a long way.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
the guy i used to work for had vans painted school bus yellow and people would talk about them all the time. there were only 4 vans but the average customer must have thought there were a dozen. people saw each one as it drove by and remembered it.

now i'm thinking what color to paint my new truck. 85% of the guys here have white vans or trucks with some lettering. there are 3 companies with colored vans. i think i need to paint my van something other than white to get noticed on the road. i don't know if i could own and drive a pink van but man, wouldn't it get noticed. would the attention that a pink van attracted be good or bad? what would it say about me other than "look at me"?

i'm realisticly thinking red but open to suggestion.

paul

My buddy has red vans, they look really cool.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Might want to think about how the color will affect your trade-in value also.

Funky color would be a tough sell.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Can't tell you what impact it has on his bottom line but there is a company in my market that drives pink box trucks. I live in the foothills of the Appalchians so the terrain is full of peaks and valleys. If you are on the right peak you can see those trucks from 2 miles away! Of course you can't read the trucks from that far away but I of course have plumbers radar to every plumbing truck in town and recognize them immediately whenever I see them. I don't have to read them 'cause I know who's they are. I don't know if the public sees them or notices them the same way but they definately stand out.

Still though, I'm not sure I could do it. Besides it doesn't have to be painted a certain color, just get a killer vinyl truck wrap and you will do as well or better. PM me and I'll tell you about who I used and maybe e-mail you some pics of my truck if you want to see it.

·
Banned
913 Posts
No way would I want our plumbers in pink vans. From a consumer perspective, would I notice a pink van? Yes! Would I be inclined to call the company? Probably not, unless the color went with the business. Example: Cleaning service, make-up sales, female oriented businesses. Pink is too weird.

A dark almost black purple (not grape) with yellow may work.

BTW - Service Guy's van is GREAT! Short, sweet, and to the point.

If you operate in a city with highrises, consider having you phone number on the roof.

If you want to stand out, have your truck play music (your own jingle). Remember the old ice cream trucks. I can't convince my husband, but I would love to try it.

My jingle sung to the tune of Mr. Sandman

Oh Mr. Plumber, Can you help me?
My showerhead drips and my faucet leaks.
Called the other company and
have been waiting for weeks. . .
Oh Mr. Plumber, Can you help me?

Oh dear customer, we can help you.
Our plumber's care and our prices are fair.
Forget the other guy and
give us a try.
Oh dear customer, we can help you.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks plumbcrazy. i was 99% leaning away from it for that same reason. that said, i think i'd drive a pink van before i drove singing van. :whistling2::)

O.K. pink's out, back to plan A.

paul

·
Banned
913 Posts
What if the song was "Don't worry, be happy?"

How can anyone be a bad mood after hearing that song? Still couldn't convince my husband to try it though. Must be a guy thing.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
that song does not put me in a good mood, trust me. maybe something by slayer?:furious::thumbup:

paul
I remember seeing those around when I was younger. I think I still see them here and there. Pink Plumber is the name?

I know I have seen them in L.A.....Not so much up here...but I remember thinking how bad that must suck to roll in one of those!! But hay, whatever works

1 - 20 of 50 Posts