Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of any fastest plumber competitions? I heard ferguson had one in 2005 and they gave $3000 for first place you had to assemble a toilet, lav and tub trim. Everyone always comments on how fast I am on finals and I thought it would be cool to enter a contest.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Sometimes CSCO a supplier, will have summertime BBQ's and have small things like this, but I only recall one such an event, but it was only putting in an AM/STD faucet on a lav sink, and no I did not win. :cry:

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I won one at an expo. It was a 4" Vic joint. Got a Vic t-shirt. It was fun to stand around and watch every body take a shot at it. Friendly competition is a good time. I still like to race apprentices at doing Vic joints or putting carriers together during rough-in.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I came in second one time at a trade show. The tasl was replace a moen single handle cartridge, if I recall I did it in 16 seconds. A guy I worked with at the time beat me buy 1 second

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Came in second at my annual Xmas party competition ,,,,, Only problem ,,,,, I WORK ALONE !

Ah well ,,, maybe next year :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would rather be good than fast. Not knocking anybody here, but most of the guys who bragged at how fast they plumbed, were hacks. Primer everywhere, crooked, couldn't pass stack or pressure tests.
Your not any faster if you have to look for leaks and fix things. Its always faster to do things right the first time. That's beside the point I was just talking about some fun competition.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
As plumbers we got to get away from this ****. It's should not be about speed, it should be about craftsmanship. These competitions are bad for the trade. So I can pull a Moen cartridge in 1 minute. Does the customer pay for a minute? Take your time, do it right and charge for your knowledge.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Watts and F.W. Webb were running a contest to see who could put together a Watts Pex tee the fastest. Winner got a brand new GMC Pickup truck.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Personally Jeff I find the contest totally un-related to on the job activities. It's fun to get together and have some friendly comradire(sp). At work everything dang well better be on the gnats a$$.

If it's thrown together hurridely The person doing it is going to be looking for work in a not so good employment environment. If guys like their jobs they better do it to the best of their ability. It ain't a race on-site.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I stumbled across this today, I was wondering if anyone of brothers on PZ are in this video?

Reactions: Ishmael

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Not me, I wouldn't be caught dead in a GB jersey.
LOL I was born in WI and I think my christening gown was green and gold. At my grandfathers funeral there was a stipulation all flowers were green and gold. LOL this year I keep my GB jerseys neatly folded in the drawer.... hidden...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts