Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ever I work with PVC I always use my 12" sliding compound miter saw to cut it. I insist this because it has a cleaner edge to it and makes for better gluing. I also insist on priming the "Lip" of the pipe as when you push it into the hub the glue builds up around it and seals it better. I also will NOT tolerate any excess primer to be seen. This is just crappy looking and makes the inspector look harder at a job. I also like to wipe the joint with my finger around the hub after I set the pipe. This may sound a bit extreme, but I rarely have any trouble with leaks. Also as someone else had said, the inspector comes in, sees a neat job, and things go smooth.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, I wish all tradesmen took that kind of pride in their work.:thumbsup:
Thats the thing with me. Its my work. It is representative of me. I have pride in myself and my work. If I cant do it right, get that dude with the primer orange truck to do it:laughing:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We don't use PVC DWV here, we use ABS. of course you already knew that. :laughing:

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I did a PVC job about a year and a half ago.

I used a chop saw for the pipe and the threaded rod, on the smaller pipe I use my Reed ratcheting plastic pipe cutter.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
I love PVC. That's all we use here just about it.

I cut mine with a sawzall, take a utility knife and cut the burrs off the edges, clean the male and female ends, then glue the fitting and pipe.

PVC can only be used in a building that is below 45' in height. Measuring from where the stack penetrates through the ground floor to it's terminus 1' above the roof. You guys restricted on PVC?

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
USP, I like that you wipe the glue, I do the same. I can't stand glue boogers.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
378 Posts
After my Bosch chop-saw broke I started using a Lennox hand-saw or sawzall again for my cuts.I de-burr all my cuts,use purple primer ,clear glue,face all the certification print for the inspectors,and wipe my joints.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
We use a regular 14" chop saw. After making the cut make a small bevel on the male end of the pipe with the side of the blade. Cutting with a ratcheting cutter or chop saw make a sharp end that cuts the cement out of the fitting upon insertion.

Sometimes if the other saws are busy I use a battery powered bandsaw. Experienced folks can make a square cut, A first year apprentice with an estigmatism fuggeddaboutit.:no:

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
I round the inside and outside corners with a hand held deburring tool.

I can make a very straight cut with my cordless Milwaukee Sawzall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts