Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever heard of service magic or any outfit of their like?

Supposedly, they can "find work" for you.

E.g. Someone from my state comes to their website looking for a new toilet install or a whole house plumbed, service magic would get ahold of me and let me know, or somehow like that. .

Just wondering what your thoughts are on something like this?

·
Banned
913 Posts
From another forum, I heard nightmare stories. Told to stay away from them. If I remember correctly, they charge for every lead. A lot of the leads are not good, so you are paying to chase dead end jobs. Plus, I think they give the lead to 2-3 plumbers. Every job you are competing against 2-3 other companies bidding. Most internet shoppers are very cost sensitive - CHEAP!

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I was kinda figuring that ;\

They called yesterday, twice, and I was away from home. I heard that they can "keep you busy".

·
Registered
344 Posts
Go and read contractortalk.com forums. There is an entire forum dedicated to online lead services. Most are not worth it unless you do high volume sales and build in your lead costs.

Your better bet for work is to network network network.

Support local activities and get your name out to the home owners of the area by support the things they are interested in, like kids sports, after school tutoring, drug prevention programs, charity races such as Race for the Cure, churches, etc.

Do all your business errands in your work trucks so your name is seen by the locals in more than places than just parked in front of your shop. Yes, it costs more to put that 3/4 or 1 ton van on the road than the daily beater, but your daily beater is not a rolling billboard and your work truck should be.

Paying 35.00 dollars for a lead on a typical condo lav faucet change out is going to kill you. That assumes you actually have a good lead from those folks. Better to just find local ways of branding and advertising yourself to your neighbors.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Service magic is pure crap. It's all about the benjamins. Meaning, they get their hands on yours. Contractors are their cash cows and they squeeze them tits hard! They don't give ashit if you close the lead, if the lead was bogus, etc. You must pay! Don't do it. I was getting leads with phony phone numbers, phony email addresses, etc. I would call and ***** and get a credit, no money went back on the credit card, I would end up with more bogus leads. It isn't worth your time and aggravation to fight these SOB's.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
From another forum, I heard nightmare stories. Told to stay away from them. If I remember correctly, they charge for every lead. A lot of the leads are not good, so you are paying to chase dead end jobs. Plus, I think they give the lead to 2-3 plumbers. Every job you are competing against 2-3 other companies bidding. Most internet shoppers are very cost sensitive - CHEAP!
I used them often to help build clients when I first started.

They're owned by the same company as ASK.com & lending tree: "Where banks compete and you win".

They attract an audience thats filled with delusional idea's that they can get great work at cheap prices....and YES, they do give the same lead to 3 different plumbers.
You're often competing with two other guys for a toilet flapper, after paying as much as $25 for the lead.

Just a few years ago they were reasonable, but in time they seem to have drawn a crowd thats filled with completely unrealistic expectations...often their leads are last resort shoppers.
Folks that have already had the job priced and are looking for more convenient answers from the magic of the internet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts