Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I'M A MACHINE THAT NEVER STOPS AND NEVER NEEDS OIL

Votes: 8 15.7%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm heading out to a job that just paid me very well last week, tons of opportunity tied to other businesses I have and it's just a really good situation.

I'll be listening to the baseball game on my radio when I get there, and I believe in rest on the 7th,

but my 7th is a floating day.

Yesterday, because my hands were curled from all the copper I ran this past week. The last thing as a plumber is have justifications.

I reflect when the sun isn't shining. I reflect when i'm told someone shut their phones off at 5pm and now I'm the guy in the truck in 35-45 minutes gaining a new customer. That's what I'm doing today and it feels really good.

I have to install a loop in a private water system, get a valve in it along with a pressure gauge as a 200' line leading to a barn has a leak in it, and between additions on the house along with cost, they are going to utilize a valve to use it off and on till the time comes to spend the big money.

And I'm right there to be that right person. Awesome. By 5pm I'll be home moving along getting my 'other' stuff done but today is just another day in Dunbar land. Lots of sugary sweets, some meats and cheeses and a whole lot of intriguing motive to keep going forward when others kicked it into neutral today.

Plus it's beautiful and sunny today...love it.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
We are on our third service call today. Basically all existing customers are extended this courtesy after hours for emergencies.

New customers - depends on the call, the opportunity, how nice they are on the phone etc. We reserve the right to refuse after hours service to new customers. I.E. - Guy who works on his own water heater and will only need us this one time, not likely to jump through hoops for him unless it's a quick call and close to the plumber on call.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
No choice for me on the poll, I work on Sundays if I'm the one on call that weekend.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
We are on our third service call today. Basically all existing customers are extended this courtesy after hours for emergencies.

New customers - depends on the call, the opportunity, how nice they are on the phone etc. We reserve the right to refuse after hours service to new customers. I.E. - Guy who works on his own water heater and will only need us this one time, not likely to jump through hoops for him unless it's a quick call and close to the plumber on call.
This is how i work it too :thumbsup:

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Only if your house is flooding with either water or sewage. I think it's ok to do good on Sundays. Oh yeah, if I get there and find out you lied to me and there is no real emergency, ... you better brace yourself and not make a peep when I tell you what it will be.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At this time I am not self employed, so I believe that my answer might not be a fair representation for this poll. Even if that changes, I will do my best to never work on a Sunday. I believe Sunday's are for God and Family.

God should be a part of your life every day, same as family. I respect your opinion on that though if you're the M-F worker but I also wouldn't hold it against you if you cut grass, weed, clean the pool on sunday.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Because I'm still in the navy, I advertise as working nights and weekends and I get many customers who like that concept. They don't need to take off work to open the door for a plumber. I think I'll keep these hours for awhile.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I would love to take more time off. I try not to schedule non-emergency work for the weekends, but sometimes its necessary. The market for plumbers in our area is so competitive you take everything you can get. I didn't get any calls today other than a few that wanted to set appointments for later in the week. Why they call on Sunday I have no idea.

I had 3 calls yesterday, one of which was a water service leak. I'll be replacing it Tuesday. I get to much good work on the weekends to turn the phones off. Generally if someone calls while I'm doing something with my sons, I tell them I'm on a project and they are next the list and I can be there in X hours. Most people understand.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Got a call about 30 minutes ago. Guy says RR has been there for 3 hours, hit something hard they can't get past at 40', can't clear it and wants to dig it up. He says Mister Rooter used to be able to get past that spot and wants to know if I can and how much. He's already mentioned the sewer drops off down the hill and really doesn't know how far. I tell him he obviously has a history of a problem at 40' (based on what he has said) and he really needs to take care of the real problem. I explain that we can come try to clear it but if the problem has progressed, even though it's been cleared in the past, it may not be clearable now, but if we can clear it we definitely need to run the camera to inspect the trouble spot or he will be right back in this position again. Of course he really doesn't want to here any of this and starts pressing me for a price if I have to dig. I tell him "mister there is no way I can price that without seeing it, nobody can". He says "well just give me a ball park, what are we talking, 1K, 10K?" I tell him "well I can tell you that we won't be digging on a hill for 1K". So anyway the guy just wouldn't give it up and finally I said "I'll be happy to come look at it in the morning for $59.

So let's see, I can gear up and drive to his place at 10:30 pm to try and get through what RR could not, listening no doubt to him complain and try to talk him self out of the inevitable dig up the whole time, or I can offer to come out in the morning, which I really don't have time for either, or I can quote the price (which I rarely do) knowing that this will end the conversation. Hmmm, I think I'll go with option number 3. Which is precisely what I did. So I told him that if I came out in the morning I would run the cable plus the camera (which I ordinarily wouldn't throw in but I know he has a problem and I want him to see it with his own eyes) for $369.00. Of course he says he'll call us back in the morning.

I'm going to bed now. See ya'll later.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,619 Posts
My Full Day Sunday

geta call from someone that I worked for back in 2000
at 8.30 in teh morning Sunday.... bad leak from something
we did back then....

I tear out at 10:30 and run about 12 miles over to his house.... cut out a 1/2 elbow going to the tub faucet,,
installed a new elbow, new coupling, and a 1/2 sharkbite fitting... Charged him double time

he paid me with the GREEN stuff.,,and was very happy that I could get there that morning,, I was home by noon....

Then I cut the acre of grass till 4.....

then took my son out to the INDY 500 at 4.30.....

Absolutely NO ONE was there..... We could have pulled up to the front doors of the place and parked.....

we Parked at our cousins and went in for FREE to the first turn and
watched the last hour of the bumping...
One guy hit the wall, and others tried to do the same in the last 25 minutes...

Track closed at 6 and we were heading home by 7:00
Stopped and bought some hamburger and grilled out
last evening....

Got on the Nordic Track for 20 minutes, then at 10 I watched Breaking Bad on TV.....

MY son thought the track was cool so it turned out to be a good day

and somehow I worked in the plumbing job...
which paid for all the festivities..:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sunday - never
Saturday - rarely

Don't do service. Commercial only Monday through Friday.

Although it so freakin' dead around here I might just change my tune

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Working on Sundays

Overtime work period on any day is justified by a couple of reasons and they are: keeping existing clients happy and to gain new accounts. Is there more that needs to be said?

Reactions: Phat Cat

·
Registered
843 Posts
I try to never work on a Saturday or a Sunday or at night. Of course, I'm far too soft-hearted and can occasionally be tricked. I had one of those on Sunday, they'd shut off a valve and couldn't get it back on. Cheap Chinese gate valve, of course, though they swear it was original to the 50-year-old house. I doubt it. No dielectric between the copper and galvanized, just a plain galvanized union.

When I go to collect, they mention something about getting a new, walk-in tub for the old folks, and some hack comes out of the bathroom carrying the old Moen tub valve assembly. I didn't ask any questions, but I wondered - he had his wife with him, too, helping. What legitimate company installs custom fixtures on Memorial Day weekend? And why couldn't he have fixed a valve that wouldn't open? Hmmph. Par for the course around here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts