Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all been in them before. When I was a union service plumber I worked for the largest government funded housing authority in cincinnati ohio and I saw everything from murder scenes, "hearing" actual rapes being carried out one floor above me, basements full of dog feces and blood strewn across the walls from dog fights, sewage backups that were months old that grew a mold top on them.

And there's the houses where the carpet is black and kids running around barefooted, too many dogs and cats to count and the ammonia levels from the urine so strong your eyes turn blood red.....with the woman of the house with no teeth asking if the corn and poop backing up in the tub is dangerous.........?

http://www.houston-imports.com/dirty/dirty.html

Lots of repressed memories I have and some I'll never repeat because the gross factor is too high. I'm just glad I'm not exposed to these hardships just because I was trying to chase a buck.

The link above brought back bad memories of a time where I had to witness these things...

I've seen situations where it will make a house fly look sanitary. :eek:

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
There is absolutely no question those pics are the end result of mental illness, I hope and pray to God they have no kids.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Add 200 beer cans, among other party goods(cough), and you would have my apartment in 1988 a picture perfect college dorm room.

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
Sometimes you walk into a home and you just know it's a rental.
My grandmother ran a building for a while. 3 Stories high. A tenant on the bottom floor decided to have a campfire in the living room! Turns out his power was cut off due to not paying the bill and as such he had no heat.
New tenant, new carpets, new paint and it got better.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
You may think I am kidding, but my brother inlaw just left his wife because thats the exact way their house was. He used to complain every day and it done no good.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I really can't stand the pack rats and the cat ladies. On the one hand they are pitiable but on the other hand I want to slap them and say "Wake up! Look around you! You're destroying your life!" A little bit of clutter or messiness is one thing but when you enter a house and the odor nearly drives you out before you can even get through the door or if walking through the house is like walking through a backhoe trench because every wall in the house is covered up with stacks and stacks of crap, well, that's just wrong. How tragic when people for whatever reason choose to live like that force others in the household to live that way too.

What a miserable existance that must be.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I really can't stand the pack rats and the cat ladies. On the one hand they are pitiable but on the other hand I want to slap them and say "Wake up! Look around you! You're destroying your life!" A little bit of clutter or messiness is one thing but when you enter a house and the odor nearly drives you out before you can even get through the door or if walking through the house is like walking through a backhoe trench because every wall in the house is covered up with stacks and stacks of crap, well, that's just wrong. How tragic when people for whatever reason choose to live like that force others in the household to live that way too.

What a miserable existance that must be.
Thats the only thing I hate about residental svr. work. I cant put my mind around the fact that people live that way... but I see it all the time.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
The worst is when little kids live there as well. They are helpless and have no choice, that really gets to me too.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I see plenty of places that are dirty, cluttered, and unhealthy. But once in a while, you get that really, really bad one.

One lady customer has a house like that. Last time I was out there, the church or somebody was supposed to be helping.

Cats everywhere. Piles of old newspapers shredded, we're talking 4' high. Pepsi cans strewn across the floor. Stacks everywhere. It's obviously some kind of mental illness. She seems otherwise intelligent, very overweight. Sort of just gave up.

Another male customer is like that, too. I wonder how these people survive. They always pay me without question.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did an insurance job for an old man one time. His water had been off for a month due to a leak and a faulty pump. His floors were caving in, there was dust on his countertops with mouse crap all over the place and dried crap in his toilet. It actually didnt look like anyone had lived there in a long time except his bedroom and kitchen. I felt really bad for him his wife had died and all his family were states away. Sometimes those situations are really sad and caused by depression. If your just a lazy slob you get no sympathy from me.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I try not to differentiate between rich, well to do, and poor. We all need to do what we must do to survive. I have been in some terrible places, but I bite my tongue and watch what I say. After all, some of these people have no other choice. I am supposed to be a professional, not a discriminator.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I see children or animals in harm's way, the board of health is made aware of the situation. Let them sort it out when they get there. If it breaks up a family and euthanizes a bunch of cats and dogs, so be it. Humans can't live like that in our society today.

In regards to the rich and the poor...

I've seen bad conditions in all levels of income status. I know of a few well to do neighborhoods that you can't walk to the front door and not smell the stench inside the house.

But, I've been in trailer parks in trailers that were so well kept that it looks like they was preserved in time, sanitary and clean.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I once reset a toilet over open floorboards. There was about a 2' section of floor missing. I don't know if anyone was actually living there or if it was just a storage facility.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts