Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spend the last 4 weeks looking for a new Plumbing van with no luck. No Chevy or GMC cargo vans, no Ford Transits, no Ram Promasters period, Nissan dropped the NV line, no options. I drive a 2014 Ram Promaster 3500 extend diesel, so far it has be a good buy to date. Had it 7 years and nothing too major wrong with it, so it has paid for itself so far, and not having payments is nice. It gets a lot of horror stories, but mine has been fine to date and I've had it 7 years. I'm wanting to retire it and make it my back up van and get a new van, not a option right now. Guess I will continue to drive it for now. I was able to find a Mercedes Sprinter 3500 duelly, but I really would prefer to stay with a gas rig for simplicity. Not looking good out there for us plumbers if you lose a vehicle, there are no replacements available. No vans available currently, hoping this a short lived problem.

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,113 Posts
Look on facebook market place for trucks.... on occasion a fairly good deal will pop up
within 100 miles of you if you keep a close eye on it.... The price of used box trucks has doubled
ever since we got the new dumbass in the white house...

The 2015 box truck I bought last year
in late 2020 has doubled in price ....and I am looking for another used box truck right now...
You are gonna pay through the nose for anything with less than 100k on it...

·
Registered
Master Plumber
470 Posts
About three months ago two of the service vans in our fleet got totaled in separate accidents (both technicians had no injuries and were not at fault). The company ordered new cargo vans from Chevy the next week and the first one just came in last week. Who knows when the other will finally show up.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I found out. You can't get a work vehicle when you need one, plus there prices have gotten out of hand. I was able to locate a Mercedes Sprinter 3500 dually, came really close to pulling the trigger. Was there high roof and long wheel base, but not the extended....Mercedes sales man said they are not making the extended currently because a steel issue??? The asking price to me was not much more than a Promaster or Transit now. Both crazy expensive, the Sprinter was approx 55k. The Ram Promaster 3500 high roof extended and the Ford Transit 350 high roof extended gasers are close to 50k now......I paided right at 40k for me Ram 3500 high roof extended DIESEL in 2015....hard to believe I can can the same Ram Promaster 3500 extended high roof V6 GAS for 10k more than I paired for the same in DIESEL....2022 is looking bleak

·
8,113 Posts
That is what I found out. You can't get a work vehicle when you need one, plus there prices have gotten out of hand. I was able to locate a Mercedes Sprinter 3500 dually, came really close to pulling the trigger. Was there high roof and long wheel base, but not the extended....Mercedes sales man said they are not making the extended currently because a steel issue??? The asking price to me was not much more than a Promaster or Transit now. Both crazy expensive, the Sprinter was approx 55k. The Ram Promaster 3500 high roof extended and the Ford Transit 350 high roof extended gasers are close to 50k now......I paided right at 40k for me Ram 3500 high roof extended DIESEL in 2015....hard to believe I can can the same Ram Promaster 3500 extended high roof V6 GAS for 10k more than I paired for the same in DIESEL....2022 is looking bleak
I have never bought a new truck.... especially one for anything near 50k....
I could not stomach making the payment every month until forever....

Then I also justified this in my thinking that I was not gonna let the employees trash or wreck a new truck ....

I looked at a Izuzu 14 foot truck one time last year new with a lift gate and it was about 55k and I just left the
store without even asking what the payment per month might have been

Anyone want to say what they are coughing up for a new ride??

Its just the german or dutch in me I guess.....

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I have never bought a new truck.... especially one for anything near 50k....
I could not stomach making the payment every month until forever....
Forget the payment, that doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I just can't get over the fact they want ungodly amounts for a plastic rust bucket on wheels. If I knew I was getting a quality vehicle I would probably make payments indefinitely as long as I had it.

They have all this extra crap so they can convince idiots it's worth it. Then the rest of us with standards and the ability to see through the lipstick are screwed because we're the minority.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gonna pay for new or pay for used. I used to buy old vehicles with cash, then shelled out for my current Promaster in 2015. Still drive it and haven't made a payment in 1.5 years. I drive the van, if it was all employees, then a 100,000 miile rig probably would be smarter as it will be trashed anyway.

·
Super Moderator
10,417 Posts
My ‘97 box truck gave me a big scare a few months ago. After I broke my arm I didn’t drive it for a few months. Went to pull it forward to get some tools out and it wouldn’t start. A fuse box in the engine compartment had melted somehow. My mechanic couldn’t locate a new box. Thankfully a customer/friend who owns some junkyards hooked me up with a used one.

I started looking around and yeah, you can get a truck with twice the mileage as mine for three or four times as much as I paid.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not necessarily work truck related, but I bought my personal truck in 2013, with 30k miles on it, I just saw an ad for basically the same vehicle, same year, with 80k miles on it, for a thousand dollars more that what I paid for mine 8 years ago. Trucks are insane right now.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was looking for a new work truck and went to ford I wanted a high and long 3500 dully van they quoted me $48,000. Said nothing on the lot but I could get it in about two months. I was thinking of selling my 2016 Ram 2500 turbo diesel truck with 70,000. I looked up what they were selling for $45,000 wow only 5k less that I bought it for new in 2016. Anyways wife did not want me to sell the truck and I did not want the huge payments so I found a use box truck. 2014 Chevy express 3500 SRW with a 12 foot box. with 30,000 miles for $17,000. It is super basic roll up windows manual locks vinyl floor with cloth seats. It was a salvage title it got into a front end wreck the first year in service as a plumbing truck and was totaled wit 22,000 miles on it. I bought it from the 2nd owner who only put 8,000 miles on it in 7 years. I had the alignment checked before I purchased it, it was good. The front of the van and the interion looks like brand new. The box has most of the lettering removed a fiberglass Morgan box. I pulled a car fax like report on it and what the owner said was true. He bought it at auction and it was too big for his needs. People are telling me you will have trouble selling it because of a salvage title. I could not find anything in near as good a condition and mileage. Sow some used box vans with 150,00 miles for $25,00 to $30,00 dollars I am happy with the purchase.

·
8,113 Posts
I was looking for a new work truck and went to ford I wanted a high and long 3500 dully van they quoted me $48,000. Said nothing on the lot but I could get it in about two months. I was thinking of selling my 2016 Ram 2500 turbo diesel truck with 70,000. I looked up what they were selling for $45,000 wow only 5k less that I bought it for new in 2016. Anyways wife did not want me to sell the truck and I did not want the huge payments so I found a use box truck. 2014 Chevy express 3500 SRW with a 12 foot box. with 30,000 miles for $17,000. It is super basic roll up windows manual locks vinyl floor with cloth seats. It was a salvage title it got into a front end wreck the first year in service as a plumbing truck and was totaled wit 22,000 miles on it. I bought it from the 2nd owner who only put 8,000 miles on it in 7 years. I had the alignment checked before I purchased it, it was good. The front of the van and the interion looks like brand new. The box has most of the lettering removed a fiberglass Morgan box. I pulled a car fax like report on it and what the owner said was true. He bought it at auction and it was too big for his needs. People are telling me you will have trouble selling it because of a salvage title. I could not find anything in near as good a condition and mileage. Sow some used box vans with 150,00 miles for $25,00 to $30,00 dollars I am happy with the purchase.
you did just fine on that.... and will probably be able to re-sell that truck some day for the same price you paid for it....

The problem today is their are no chips for the new trucks so the price of used stuff is going nuts....... But some day
in the future Texas will be pushing out chips again and the used truck market will probably crash again

·
8,113 Posts
Ford cancelled my order that I placed in August and refunded the deposit.
Sorry to hear about this
Things are gonna get real ugly,,, real , real ugly......
Eventually if they cannot get the parts to make these trucks and cars,
they will have to lay everyone off.. and this is gonna have a domino effect on the rest of the economy....

and we will look like a third world country like Cuba where most of the cars
driven around date back to the 50s-- maybe worse

I am looking at a 1997 chevy box truck in town with 25k on it and am tempted to buy it
I am trying to talk them down from 15k to 10 k and I still think that is too much to pay

if you dont have a back up truck then you are sitting around with your thumb up your
ass if your ride breaks down....

·
8,113 Posts
Yea for Texas but Ted cruz sucks,he packs up and leaves when his state had no power,he allowed trump to insult his wife Heidi many times even to his face and Cruz was to coward to do a dam thing then he started licking trumps azz after he got elected,cruz is a pennywaste coward
Sooo maybe he likes licking trumps ass... it probably taste better than hillarys ass.....

·
8,113 Posts
It will never go away, anybody but Hillary.
You better strap yourself in, because that bitc/ is going to be running for president
again,, no matter how many folks she is gonna have to make dead or bribe to get there again

if we had all learned to find the taste of her ass palatable everyone would be happy...

1 - 20 of 144 Posts