Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,570 Posts
a very sweet ride

this truck has paid for the whole monthly bill almost every other day...
many times it has saved the whole day when the dumb ass customer does not
know wether they have a gas or electric water heater or they went to upgrade
to a larger tank, we got them with us

I have saved time and extra miles, done more work from 9 to 3 than I used to do from 8 to 5....... I never have to go back to the office for materials, parts water heaters ... 12 foot long box and I can go into any parking space even at starbucks...... its no longer than my old E350 maxi van and can turn on a dime.. over head box is only 9 foot 6 inches and I can squeeze under any bridge

also , my left nut thanks me every day for the tommy lift....:laughing::yes:

·
8,570 Posts
sure

I will go out and take apicture of my box van right now

a very boring sunday I am having:laughing:

on the right you are looking at 5 water heaters
including the open one and the 800 lb cart

all my fittings are stacked in the far left front corner in orange re-cycle boxes
with 3 inch on the bottom followed by 2 inch then 1 1/2 pvc on the top...

in the center on the floor is a honda generator which you cant see under the pool hose
they air hose on the reel is for winterizations we do on occasion...

you can see the rack of 60 drawers on the high leftfor mics shark bite fittings ect..
faucets are stacked near the ceiling above these drawers.....

all the gas pipe fittings are on the front right corner shelves tucked on the bottom
for easy access while standing on the street....

I got a lot of stuff in here and there is still room for more...
got to grab a 75 gallon rheem pro on monday and I dont have to
unload anything to get it in...

it took about $400 dollars of metal unistrut from grange to set up the
shelves

·
8,570 Posts
yes...

Did you make the shelves yourself? Looks nice, other than the mess:laughing:. Slow day for me too. Guess I will go take a pic of mine.

your truck is very nice too..looks like a 14 footer... too large for me..

mine is a little messy, but just took a lawnmower out of it early today....

I went to Grange and bought the med duty angel iron with bolts and just played erector set over a weekend.. all I needed was a hack saw and some plywood for the bottom of the shelves... it went well

its sort of a work in progress, and I am useing almost
every square inch of the outside walls for storage..
made some mid course corrections, broke it down and did it over once or twice
till I finally got it perfected..

had to think it out, and it took about two six packs of beer to be inspired that weekend :yes:

·
8,570 Posts
mileage is not an issue

I was worried about mileage, but when you are only getting
13mpg out of a ford van anyway its no big deal to me...

the new truck holds 5 times more and gets 10mpg.
so as far as I am concerned, its basically a wash ..

I had to drive one of our old vans for a week a while back and it was just absolute hell.. grinding my kees into the dirt and junk laying on the floor board while crawling into the back looking for fittings....the noise, the smells, the crampt conditions,,, the extra miles driven......:cry:

... I cannot go back to working out of a van now that I am spoiled with the tommy lift

·
8,570 Posts
nice truck

That looks like a Nice truck Dunbar...
looks like a 14 footer to me.....
Nowvall you need is a tommy gate on it to save your back and you are all set...:thumbup:.

I think those box vans are the best way to work,
never can I go back to a smaller van.... :thumbup:

·
8,570 Posts
do you want some seats???

View attachment 26802

View attachment 26803

My 94 E350 bumper brackets should arrive soon to reinstall the front bumper.

Bumper lasted almost 2 decades without any rust through, the brackets were completely destroyed, almost causing the bumper to fall off.

Got the brackets online for $43, both sides and that's all it needed. No building a new bumper for the van.

Seats are out, going to buy a seat soon to get a new comfort in the van, made only for 6'8".

hey Dunbar.... I have a couple of seats for you..
I got 2 passenger seats that I tore out of the 1997 ford box van I bought last year.... they even move back and forth.... if you want them they are at my office colecting dust...

they were just bolted down to the wood floorboard, and I assume it could be installed for a pernament or temporary seating....

I dont know about the seat belts..if they are there or not....so maybe you could use a a peice of rope... like on the beverly hillbilies:laughing:

...I can send you a pic if you are interested in them

NO CHARGE just burn the gas to come over and pick them up

I am not doing anything with them so let me know , I suppose I could ship them in a water heater box ups

·
8,570 Posts
blew the motor yesterday

the ford van I bought about a year ago thew a rod
yesterday....I only put about 23,000 miles on it. this year. :cry::cry:

it had to blow right in the middle of all this work so I had to switch everything out to my ford 2000 deizel maxi van... a van is very hard to work out of after having a box van with a tommy gate

got it towed to a mechanic and I think its gonna be a new motor....It was a great truck while it lasted...

maybe I over-worked it....??

·
8,570 Posts
What i used to drive

I had to help this poor guy driveing that van today full o fjunk trying to push a 75 gallon power vent into the back of it....
We had to heave pretty hard then hit something and you can
see him in the front getting stuff out of the way....finally shoved it in...

my box van loaded with 8 water heaters is out of sight to the right and I could not leave without helping him load this pig into that little hole... I hope that the heater did not get dented up too badly..:laughing::laughing:

I dont miss working out of a van at all.......

·
8,570 Posts
I am getting my 1997 box truck repaired this week so We finally got our 2006 14 foot U-haul box van loaded and on the
road

...with the granny box over the cab it has more room in it than I realized.....

I am carrying 3 standard heaters and a 50 powervent unit inside and I think I could lay a mat on the floor and sleep it it there is so much extra room

this week is the shake down run for it and many of the parts drawers still need to be filled ....but the shelves have so much extra room I dont know what I am gonna throw on them yet..

the ramp is ok but I would prefer a lift gate

its still better than a common van

https://goo.gl/photos/2URKv4rt377sB56K6

https://goo.gl/photos/vdqFYnz3499ZGzxr8

https://goo.gl/photos/YPEBBmDDgHYX4HcZ8

·
8,570 Posts
Mark,
Your in plumbing I'm in Sewer Cleaning.
You have a nice setup. I like my Box truck for the room also. It is a 1997 F Series 7.3 Powerstroke. I sure like the diesel in the winter. Can let it run all day long and have somewhere warm to get in if needed

The only issue with the truck is I am spoiled with a lift gate and the ramp seems to bother my knees straining to get old heaters up the ramp... On an icy day this could really cause you some damage on that ramp with a heavy losd.

I hate to do it but I will probably end up throwing a tommy gate on it some day

·
8,570 Posts
My oh my that's a big truck. Tell me how you go in and out to get stuff with the deck that high?

For example today I had to grab stuff from the van at least 10 times. I only had to open side of back doors to get things. Do you raise and lower that ramp 10 times a day and open the huge door each time?

By the was I didn't really pass on the staircat, the guy didn't want to sell it to me!! I even offered full price and he ignored me. Grrrrr.

I normally just put the gate half way up and just work it like tall stairs.... its no ta problem.... The box trucks are 10,000% more efficient than a van or pick up truck--- they are big but they make life easy...

·
8,570 Posts
I agree keep those doors closed, people will think you are overcharging them. A lot of people think we are as low as garbage pickers.

If they look into the back of my truck, usually they are impressed with the amount of stuff I have
packed in the 14 footer box.... nothing looks clean or new just like the truck..... but as some have
said to me ---- lord , you have a whole workshop back here....

Also, The people that think you are as low as garbage pickers probably have a college degree that they
hope and pray that Biden erases and cancels for them..... Their is nothing smarter than getting 200k in debt
and the only thing you have to show for it is a social studies degree in something like "African studies"...LOL
Somehow this gives them the right to look down on EVERYONE these days including me and you....
even though I might be debt free and have more money in my wallet than they have in the bank......lol

·
8,570 Posts
Please tell me more. My thoughts, medium roof stand up a couple water heaters to save space etc.
when I did this line of work 20 years ago I had a 14’ Isuzu box truck and I loved it. I really think this van will be a challenge

Box trucks rule.... I had a couple of vans like yours and they were fine but
you just cant carry everything in them and they basically get about the same gas mileage

box trucks are very efficient and very productive

·
8,570 Posts
Got to have lift gate also,mandatory
That depends on the height of the box truck.... I have been driveing a u-haul box truck
for 2 summers now with the ramp and it has been just fine..... very rarely have I needed
the lift gate and very rarely are we throwing in 75 gallon power vents that I cant handle...
The lift gate does make life easier on some occasions.....

Yesterday my ford v-10 just threw a plug or a rod in it so we are close to dead in the water
I got to get it repaired next week ,,,, I am presently driveing the 2015 box truck with the lift gate
on it today....
My other half is driving a 2006 box that we were going to sell but it looks like I am gonna have
to make repairs to it and just keep driving it

Trucks are in high demand right now and I cannot believe what they want for a used Transit
and mechanics to work on trucks are in short supply too..
Just getting a new back door put on that 2001 truck I recently bought has been a god awful fight
getting anyone to work on it has been tough... they all want to stay home and wait for the next
covid check

·
8,570 Posts
Transits suck, you don't want one. Be glad you found a nice Econoline.
I looked at a used Transit this week.... they wanted 39k for it with 90,000 miles
I guess I am throwing a new motor in my older box truck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts