Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been given the task of wiring a hot water boiler with 5 zone valves. the boiler has a low voltage wire comming out of the side of it. The electrician has already wired the 120v but I think he still needs to include the low water cut off after the service switch on the side of the unit. There is also another valve for hot water storage tank that is heated by the same boiler. From what I can understand here I need a transformer for the thermostates and valves and I can only put up to three valves on a transformer. Here is a picture of what i am talking about. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh sorry my name is tony and im from New Jersey. Im 26 and have been a plumber for about 4 1/2 years now. I work for a small shop (3 vans) as a plumers apprentice and recently my boss ask me if I knew anything about wiring zone valves. Naturally I said yes Ive done a few in the past but not like this one. Personally I think an argo controller is an easier way to go but this isnt my decision.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Oh sorry my name is tony and im from New Jersey. Im 26 and have been a plumber for about 4 1/2 years now. I work for a small shop (3 vans) as a plumers apprentice and recently my boss ask me if I knew anything about wiring zone valves. Naturally I said yes Ive done a few in the past but not like this one. Personally I think an argo controller is an easier way to go but this isnt my decision.
Rule #1 as an apprentice...NEVER overstate your experience.

You basically just screwed yourself, your boss & his customer.

I'm in the northeast, I fail to understand how you have no idea how to wire a boiler after 4-1/2 years of doing it.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts

I'm in the northeast, I fail to understand how you have no idea how to wire a boiler after 4-1/2 years of doing it.
"A good man always knows his limitations..."
~Harry Callahan... Magnum Force 1973~

·
Registered
584 Posts
I know very little about boiler wiring. When we do a storage tank we always use a control box to give it priority though.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts

I plumbed in the northeast for 6 years and I never did figure it all out with regards to boiler wiring. There was one guy in the shop that knew it really well and he did all of that type of work, or the electricians did it. I never learned it and then I moved down south and I never see boilers any more.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
I plumbed in the northeast for 6 years and I never did figure it all out with regards to boiler wiring. There was one guy in the shop that knew it really well and he did all of that type of work, or the electricians did it. I never learned it and then I moved down south and I never see boilers any more.
Ack! Don't let the electricians touch my boiler wiring!

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Just IMHO.:)

Alot of guys including me piss and moan about unlicensed folks attempting plumbing. Now, here we have a plumber/fitter attempting to do electrical work. I think it's a 2 way street boys and girl.

Would you want an electrician piping that boiler and holding tank?:no:

Flame the hell out of me if you will:laughing: I'm a plumber/fitter not an electrician:thumbsup:

Is the boiler water co-mingling with the hot potable water?

Is a dual-check with atmospheric vent approved for that boiler in your state?

Where are the unions on anything?

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Just IMHO.:)

Alot of guys including me piss and moan about unlicensed folks attempting plumbing. Now, here we have a plumber/fitter attempting to do electrical work. I think it's a 2 way street boys and girl.

Would you want an electrician piping that boiler and holding tank?:no:

Flame the hell out of me if you will:laughing: I'm a plumber/fitter not an electrician:thumbsup:
I thought most state codes permitted licensed plumbers (and/or HVAC contractors) to do low voltage wiring on HVAC equipment.

Forget unions. If it's legal I am doing it. I have yet to meet a single electrician that I wanted touching my control wiring. Nor have I met one that wanted to do it.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I thought most state codes permitted licensed plumbers (and/or HVAC contractors) to do low voltage wiring on HVAC equipment.

Forget unions. If it's legal I am doing it. I have yet to meet a single electrician that I wanted touching my control wiring. Nor have I met one that wanted to do it.
Unions, as in double nut couplings. Not labor unions. Unions have their place. Like next to the holding tank and boiler or anywhere else you would have to cut the pipe in half for removal :)

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Is the boiler water co-mingling with the hot potable water?
How could it? Are you seeing something I am missing? I mean, that water heater is an indirect fired water heater. The boiler water circulates through a coil inside the tank.

Is a dual-check with atmospheric vent approved for that boiler in your state?
It's legal in most states. Isn't it legal in IL?

Where are the unions on anything?
Do you mean unions as in Local XYZ or unions as in a fitting?

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
How could it? Are you seeing something I am missing? I mean, that water heater is an indirect fired water heater. The boiler water circulates through a coil inside the tank.

It's legal in most states. Isn't it legal in IL?

Do you mean unions as in Local XYZ or unions as in a fitting?
I am prolly wrong on the tank. I've put in larger tanks made by the same folks that do not have a coil in them.

Boilers under 100,000 btu are permitted to have a dc with atmospheric vent. Prolly wrong there too that boiler is prolly under 100.

Union as in fitting.

I typed faster than I thought. Sorry:cry:

slinks off in the corner to lick my wounds.............

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
I am prolly wrong on the tank. I've put in larger tanks made by the same folks that do not have a coil in them.

Boilers under 100,000 btu are permitted to have a dc with atmospheric vent. Prolly wrong there too that boiler is prolly under 100.

Union as in fitting.

I typed faster than I thought. Sorry:cry:

slinks off in the corner to lick my wounds.............
Ya trying to put me on a guilt trip? -grin

Seriously, what does your code require for backflow prevention on boilers over 100K btu?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts