Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Messed up once ,,,, Forgot a toilet . Man , did it SPLIT !!! OOPS !!

Cal

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been winterizing cottages for approx. 40 years. I have learned the hard way years ago that air pressure does not always do the job. I have put together a tank and pump, and pump non-toxic antifreeze into the system. Start with all faucets closed, open one faucet at a time until the propylene runs out. Shut that faucet off and go to the next. You will have to put a bypass on the water heater. Most cottage owners have no problem paying the cost of doing this. Especially when you consider the cost of repair freeze ups.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
I have been winterizing cottages for approx. 40 years. I have learned the hard way years ago that air pressure does not always do the job. I have put together a tank and pump, and pump non-toxic antifreeze into the system. Start with all faucets closed, open one faucet at a time until the propylene runs out. Shut that faucet off and go to the next. You will have to put a bypass on the water heater. Most cottage owners have no problem paying the cost of doing this. Especially when you consider the cost of repair freeze ups.

That is also a good way if you have a customer that is willing to pay :)

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Ok, I'm from the deep south and don't know jack about winterizing houses. So don't laugh too hard if this is a stupid idea but wouldn't water respond better to vacuum rather than high pressure?

If water is held in a low spot, blown air will just pass over it if it can. Air just like water will follow the path of least resistance. If all the air is vacuumed out of a sealed system the water will be forced to come too when the vacuum becomes low enough.

Am I wrong?

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Ok, I'm from the deep south and don't know jack about winterizing houses. So don't laugh too hard if this is a stupid idea but wouldn't water respond better to vacuum rather than high pressure?

Am I wrong?
You could use a vacuum , but you would need a wet dry , then a storage tank for the water you pull out......... , to much **** basically

With a compressor its BLOW & GO............

We also could all stop home and cook hamburgers instead of going to Mcdonald's and such as well.

·
Banned
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
well im in the same climate your in and thats the way i do it, it displaces the water and wont leave pockets of water. ive been doing it that way for 7 years and no leaks. i also kill the curb stop, remove the meter and pump out the main.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Smells, your vacuum idea will work. Unfortunately it's not very practical because you would need one hell of a vacuum pump. When pulling a vapor compression air conditioner down it can take an hour just to get a thimbles’ worth of water out of that system. You’re talking about trying to pull out a few gallons. You would need a diesel powered vacuum pump or a whole lotta time to let it pump down. That's assuming all the valves close. If there is the slightest leak anywhere you can forget it!

·
Banned
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Why is this necessary? Is it because of the water inside the house before the main shutoff?
yeah, alot of the houses here have the old now illegal stop and waste curb stops and they will bleed back on thier own. but the newer legal ones will hold the water in that line and there is the potential for freeze and split. when i start a system up for spring usually im pretty busy anyway. so if i dont have any leaks to fix thats one or two more things i can get done in a day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does any water sit in the pump in the dishwasher and what if the home has a tankless if i wanted to use w\h as a storage tank for the air as suggested ?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I turn the dishwasher on until air comes through. I also put antibfeeze in the d.w. and turn to drain ( same with washing machine).

I have always have used a small compressor, and expected the w.h. to act as a tank, but with handymen about it was hard to be competetive. This i have saved some water heaters from the hurricane that got flooded, but don't leak. I will be rolling with my trailer, at least to 50 gal. w.h. tied into a comp. with a 20 gal. tank or so and my generator to keep it pumping from job to job. I plan to have 200' of air hose.

·
Banned
121 Posts
I always blow out then blow antifreeze through the hot and cold after isolating the water heater , remove excess water from toilets ,antifreeze in tank and bowl and then antifreeze all traps,solenoids, Wash machine pump dish pump Ect..... Never had probs this way and have done hundreds if not more. Jim

·
Registered
460 Posts
I blow out then pump antifreeze as well.. With toilets I also like to unhook the flapper from in the tank and prop it up so it doesn't dry out and stick to where it seals.. Also pop the angle valves apart on toilet supplies as toilets are anti-siphon.. Take apart kitchen sink handhelds as they'll trap water too. Shower valves that are anti-scald (most are) should have their stems/cartridges pulled.. Only way to blow them out is with equal pressure on the hot and the cold sides at the same time. Knowing every job is different and taking the time to think about what your trying to accomplish goes along ways.

·
Banned
121 Posts
I blow out then pump antifreeze as well.. With toilets I also like to unhook the flapper from in the tank and prop it up so it doesn't dry out and stick to where it seals.. Also pop the angle valves apart on toilet supplies as toilets are anti-siphon.. Take apart kitchen sink handhelds as they'll trap water too. Shower valves that are anti-scald (most are) should have their stems/cartridges pulled.. Only way to blow them out is with equal pressure on the hot and the cold sides at the same time. Knowing every job is different and taking the time to think about what your trying to accomplish goes along ways.
Lots of times with the press bal types I have a siamese hose connector and try to use the laundry valves and pressurize both to get the piston to move. Works great,otherwise it means taking em apart,which we know on some Moniters can really suck if u don't have to. Also I blow out and blow some antifreeze through the handheld. Give it a try. Jim

21 - 37 of 37 Posts