Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
allright, this one is for the northern boys and girls. winter has finall reared its ugly head and ive got alot of winterizing calls. just wanted to know what practices are being applied for winterizing vacant properties. and what type of warrenties are being offered.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
allright, this one is for the northern boys and girls. winter has finall reared its ugly head and ive got alot of winterizing calls. just wanted to know what practices are being applied for winterizing vacant properties. and what type of warrenties are being offered.
Here in NY , we blow the house out,

1. Shut off water main,
  2. open lowest point
  3. Let water gravity drain for a few
  4. hook compressor to somewhere ( we sweat in a tee with plug so we can adpt to it )
  5. Blow out all water
  6. Lock main with business card and sticker that house is winterized and if you need water call ( YOUR PHONE # )
If you do it correct , you wont need a warranty

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Problem is most outfits only use a small compressor.
I make a lot of money when these buildings get opened back up!
If you want to use compressed air to blow out the water you may just want to rent a rig like this for blowing out the lines or, you're not doing jack!

Even then there is a good chance there may be some water left in the pipes.
My best payday for opening up a winterized house to date was $3500...
Somebody didn't do a very good job!

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Here in NY , we blow the house out,

1. Shut off water main,
  2. open lowest point
  3. Let water gravity drain for a few
  4. hook compressor to somewhere ( we sweat in a tee with plug so we can adpt to it )
  5. Blow out all water
  6. Lock main with business card and sticker that house is winterized and if you need water call ( YOUR PHONE # )
If you do it correct , you wont need a warranty
Same here, plus anti-freeze in the traps. I have done 8 of them so far this season...all bank foreclosures. I guess there is a small upside to the housing crisis.;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
You can use a small compressor if you use the WH for a storage tank to build air pressure. I've drained many cottages this way and have NEVER had problems. Make sure you think about what you are doing, and use common sense.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Problem is a lot of the seasonal cottages are built to drain down.
I wouldn't share you confidence in a typical home.
You need to push some serious air to blow out the lines in a typical house.
Even then It requires a bit of dumb luck to be successful.:yes:

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
You can use a small compressor if you use the WH for a storage tank to build air pressure. I've drained many cottages this way and have NEVER had problems. Make sure you think about what you are doing, and use common sense.
Exactly. I have my own METHOD I use with my small compressor and it has never let me down. Of course if I was winterizing a 15 bathroom house, I would need a bigger compressor.:eek:

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
All I know is that everytime I have been called to start up a "winterized" house I have made a ton of money fixing all the burst pipes.

I just quote an hourly rate and go from there. Truth be told I have never had less than 3 leaks on a start up.

With the best one being a boiler installation and a bunch of leaks.
I doubt they did anything more than pour antifreeze in the traps.

·
Registered
843 Posts
For me, winterizing is different on every job. Some are really easy - no surprises, a basement, easy draining. Others are under a slab and the pipes just don't seem to go where they're supposed to, such as soft water to hydrants, etc. I always tell the customer that I will do the best job that I can, but that there are no guarantees since the builder didn't build it to be drained.

In all the years of winterizing, I only know of one I've had to go back and do a repair on.

In addition to the compressor and judicial choice of where to hook it, where to drain, and RV antfreeze in all the traps, I make sure to put stickers everywhere saying the house is winterized and to not use the plumbing or attempt to energize the water heater until service has been restored.

And I pay attention to things like icemaker lines and softeners. Icemaker solenoids can freeze. There isn't anything much harder on a house than for it to be abandoned through the winter.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
All I know is that everytime I have been called to start up a "winterized" house I have made a ton of money fixing all the burst pipes.

I just quote an hourly rate and go from there. Truth be told I have never had less than 3 leaks on a start up.

With the best one being a boiler installation and a bunch of leaks.
I doubt they did anything more than pour antifreeze in the traps.
I have been winterizing for years now and the only leaks I ever had was when I forgot to blow out a certain line, or didn't do a thorough job on a really large system.
Most guys have no idea how to blow out lines properly. I know what you mean about seeing tons of leaks on dewinterizes.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
I have been winterizing for years now and the only leaks I ever had was when I forgot to blow out a certain line, or didn't do a thorough job on a really large system.
Most guys have no idea how to blow out lines properly. I know what you mean about seeing tons of leaks on dewinterizes.
Yea, I also have a swimming pool service company so , blowing out lines is blowing out lines to me :)

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Water freezing in a pipe can generate an expansion force of about 40,000 PSI.:eek:

Any water left at a low point will split what it is contained in.
Including a boiler! It takes a good volume of air to move water completely out of a u-shaped pipe.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Zackly!:thumbup:

When you see the sprinkler guys doing their winterizations you see them pulling a trailer rig around behind them... They Know!
How about when you see the sprinkler guys with the pancake :)....hahahahahahahahaha ....you know that house is gunna need repairs :)

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
How about when you see the sprinkler guys with the pancake :)....hahahahahahahahaha ....you know that house is gunna need repairs :)
Might as well puff your cheeks into a garden hose!:laughing:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts