Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1861 - 1880 of 2667 Posts

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Oh, you don’t know the fun you’re missing! Especially when it’s buried in the ceiling of the apartment below used for a tub drain! As bad as a drum trap.

Yeah dude, sucks balls!! The damn snake will just not go through it!!! Gets caught in the hollow of the plug or cap. Had a house last week with a cast brass sweat trap that was put in like 100 years ago. Was one of those old tubs with no overflow and the waste assembly was in the back of a closet. I was working in this tiny knucker hole hitting my head on the top of the opening. PITD.

I feel bad for the poor people who have those buried. I told them they had to open the ceiling. It has some water damage anyway from when they plunged the tub and it came out the waste assembly tube. The narrow board hardwood floor was phucked up pretty good too. They are trying to get their insurance to cover it. I said just call us back when the ceiling is open.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Oh, you don’t know the fun you’re missing! Especially when it’s buried in the ceiling of the apartment below used for a tub drain! As bad as a drum trap.
So I applied to a service company in Allen Tx a week ago. The owner called me on Monday to interview me a little, and I think it went well. Knowing my luck, I'll get hired, and now that this scenario has been mentioned here, watch it be the first thing I have to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
7,986 Posts
Today’s job. The only reason why we had to replace this was because the steel tub drain. Normally we walk in with demo done, but for some reason this cheap LL wants to pay a plumber to demo...

I hate this kind of demo! Metal lathe!

I don’t know how well you can see the mold, it was way worse once everything was out. Where the mold is, is the wet wall of a shower in the BTB bathrooms. Not 100% on where it is coming from. The old troll had a galvi plug in it. When we pulled that wall, in one piece because of the water lines, the valve wasn’t dripping. Later on it started leaking. The grout in the shower didn’t look the greatest, not horrible, but not not perfect.

I’m totally whooped! Only had about three hours of sleep last night. Had my club meetings last night. We had eight homebrews to sample, an ounce or two of each. Anytime I mix a bunch of craft or homebrew, it seems like I breathe with my nose/mouth and exhale out the other end. So I decided to sleep on the couch vs. broken ribs or something. Broken sleep all night long.

I’ll try to take some pictures of the mess we have to deal with on the drain next week. A 1960’s winner for sure!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,970 Posts
This is my 5th service call for this guy and he bought the house only 2 years ago. I had to replace the no name shower faucet, fix a broken C/O and today a burnt out element/thermostat and wire. I took a few winner pics of this jungle gym.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,970 Posts
People are pissed off when they take the offer on the box (same day water heater install). So my local HD has to put stickers on each box because it isn't true. As you can see they don't always do so.

They hire an out of province contractor and customers have to wait about 5 days and their guys don't speak the local language either.

I heard the guys from the sub cause damage in many houses, customer complaints and tantrums are legendary. :vs_laugh::vs_laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Why do people bother with tub and sink re-glazing?

Because re-glazing an antique cast iron fixture can preserve the past and current beauty of a home.

What you have posted pictures of however, is most decidely not re-glazing. That is repainting. Glazing is a silicate glass coating that is baked on into a homogenous layer which fuses to the underlying baked enamel coating. Glazing is also a sugar/water mix applied to donuts. You have posted peeling paint without a donut, or re-glaze job in sight.

My real beef isn't with you. It's with the charlatans who advertise this as re-glazing. You're just using the incorrectly common nomenclature now associated with these abortions.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Because re-glazing an antique cast iron fixture can preserve the past and current beauty of a home.

What you have posted pictures of however, is most decidely not re-glazing. That is repainting. Glazing is a silicate glass coating that is baked on into a homogenous layer which fuses to the underlying baked enamel coating. Glazing is also a sugar/water mix applied to donuts. You have posted peeling paint without a donut, or re-glaze job in sight.

My real beef isn't with you. It's with the charlatans who advertise this as re-glazing. You're just using the incorrectly common nomenclature now associated with these abortions.

Mmmmm..... donuts.

I see these failed tubs quite a bit

Attachments

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Why do people bother with tub and sink re-glazing?

its not really " re glazing" its" refinishing" , I have seen a few tubs refinished and they never hold up, its a cheap short fix, unless you pull the tub or sink and send it out to a real reglazing place that bakes the glazing like they did originally in the factory and thats only on cast or steel tubs or sinks..
I have seen repairs of chips that have come out great, you cant tell where it was, but I dont know how long those repairs even last...theres nothing like a factory finish that was put on during manufacturing..unless its schit kolher with all their pin holes in the finish...

1861 - 1880 of 2667 Posts