Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
3641 - 3660 of 3679 Posts

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,530 Posts
My toilet is held down by one bolt. The subfloor needs to be replaced. No leaks.
My basement was finished by a DIYer/hack, before I bought the place:

-The kitchen sink drain has a cheap AAV under the sink(hahah), then it goes from 1-1/2” ABS to an 1-1/4” copper Ty into the wall.

-the bathroom basin dumps directly into the top of the floor drain… (the cat loves when the sink is draining, she hunkers down at the floor drain and bats at it..)

- the “sh!tty- shower stall’s” drain- is hacked down to 1-1/4” copper then drops/fits into an 1-1/2” fixture drain, so if/when the shower Backs up it flood the basement bathroom.

-Water service (has been upgraded) is 3/4”(copper) coming in, goes thru the main valve and meter, but then reduced to 1/2” copper..

So I’m a super cobbler- But I’m at the point of do I renovate, move out and rent or sell.
my daughter has moved out and bought a house on the east coast.
(why do I need a 4 bdrm 2 bath home,?)

I now hate this area, it has gone to sh!t.

when ever an old timer dies off or moves out- the houses are bought up by foreign investors then become dumps and/or rentals (for foreign exchange students/people) who have ZERO pride of ownership. They have lowered the property value by 10+ %, why do I bother to mow my lawn, clean my window, plant/grow flowers etc???
Their lawns and weeds are 2’-3’ high, the gardens are overgrown, garbage is all over the property, 4 cars in the driveway and 2 parked on the lawn. Fitted sheets hung in the windows are curtains, broken windows and screen doors…When I call the city, they do NOTHING- ever- my tax dollars hard at work.

It’s living in a million dollar+ trailer park.

·
Super Moderator
11,808 Posts
My basement was finished by a DIYer/hack, before I bought the place:

-The kitchen sink drain has a cheap AAV under the sink(hahah), then it goes from 1-1/2” ABS to an 1-1/4” copper Ty into the wall.

-the bathroom basin dumps directly into the top of the floor drain… (the cat loves when the sink is draining, she hunkers down at the floor drain and bats at it..)

- the “sh!tty- shower stall’s” drain- is hacked down to 1-1/4” copper then drops/fits into an 1-1/2” fixture drain, so if/when the shower Backs up it flood the basement bathroom.

-Water service (has been upgraded) is 3/4”(copper) coming in, goes thru the main valve and meter, but then reduced to 1/2” copper..

So I’m a super cobbler- But I’m at the point of do I renovate, move out and rent or sell.
my daughter has moved out and bought a house on the east coast.
(why do I need a 4 bdrm 2 bath home,?)

I now hate this area, it has gone to sh!t.

when ever an old timer dies off or moves out- the houses are bought up by foreign investors then become dumps and/or rentals (for foreign exchange students/people) who have ZERO pride of ownership. They have lowered the property value by 10+ %, why do I bother to mow my lawn, clean my window, plant/grow flowers etc???
Their lawns and weeds are 2’-3’ high, the gardens are overgrown, garbage is all over the property, 4 cars in the driveway and 2 parked on the lawn. Fitted sheets hung in the windows are curtains, broken windows and screen doors…When I call the city, they do NOTHING- ever- my tax dollars hard at work.

It’s living in a million dollar+ trailer park.
Cheese and rice! Thought I’d come back with some pics of my plumbing. You have me beat! Remember, 1 1/4 cu is really 1 1/2. Yeah, don’t rent! Trust me! You know how renters are!

·
Super Moderator
11,808 Posts
Off grid hacks I’ve developed.

You can expand pieces of Pex A to make garden hose repair clamps that won’t cut your hands like stainless can.

You can use a spent 556 cartridge case and a brass ferrule with nut to plug off a 3/8 fixture stop valve.
I once saw a pop up rod replaced with a marble. Judging by the buildup on the inside, it was there for years with no leaks. The crazy hacks we see!

3641 - 3660 of 3679 Posts