Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
3321 - 3323 of 3323 Posts

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Momas don't let your babies grow up to be house flippers...

View attachment 130918 View attachment 130919
Show me in the code book where that's illegal!!!! HAHAHA

Funny thing is, the poor inspectors who have no choice but to pass such a thing, assuming it gets inspected. It does happen and unfortunately sloppy work does not mean it's against code.

Most states allow homeowners to do all their own work, so they hire illegals and when the inspector shows up they claim they did it themselves. To stop this you'd need clauses that only allow the homeowner to do their own work if they own the home for more than X time OR have them sign an avidavit stating they plan to own the home for more than X time. If the home is listed for sale sooner, then they must pay for an inspection and remedy of any improper work done since the initial purchase.

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
295 Posts
Show me in the code book where that's illegal!!!! HAHAHA

Funny thing is, the poor inspectors who have no choice but to pass such a thing, assuming it gets inspected. It does happen and unfortunately sloppy work does not mean it's against code.
I guarantee it wasn't inspected. House was far outside the city limits, and this wasn't the worst thing we found. The flippers also installed an NG water heater. House is LP. The "home inspector" missed all of this, but sure knew enough the read the date code backwards and claim the unit was 20 years old!

As for the legality of the PVC, I'd point to the approved materials clauses of the IRC. PVC isn't approved for use inside a dwelling or hot water.

Shoot, I wouldn't have said anything they had used CPVC, or even PEX and sharkbites. It would still look like trash, but at least it would be approved materials.

The best part was the blue glue joints came apart when my razor knife caught them while I was cutting out the drywall.

3321 - 3323 of 3323 Posts