Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
3301 - 3320 of 3323 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,022 Posts
Yeah, my heart really goes out to them. Poor people, standing up for what is right, against what is so blatantly wrong, and getting villanized and made into criminals because of it, prevented from challenging their representatives and those in power. How tf does that happen in the United States of America? I hesitate to even say it because of how things are today, but they should be storming those halls and taking back their freedoms by force. This is exactly, exactly how they started in Nazi Germany. Why are the Jews not being vocal about this woke BS and speaking up and reminding people?
We moved to this “small town” from the capital of Michigan for a better school district. Our city is part of a township. Mostly for tax, assessment, code inspection, government stuff. We have a population of about 9k, and have 31k in our school district. So my ”city” has less than a third of the vote in our local elections. Voters approved the lates “sinking fund” by 500 votes. We are basically being controlled by the more left leaning people around us. Unfortunately “the good ‘ol boys” have rooted themselves in city council.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I was taught to open a tub valve and fill the heater so that’s how I’ve always done it but it’s always good to get new perspectives
Regardless of if you let it fill all the way or not, tub hot is what I always open first when turning water back on. Water heater catches any sediment that got kicked up and the tub valve is usually least likely to clog. Also, air bubbles don't cause as much of a mess in a tub.

·
Super Moderator
10,022 Posts
I was taught to open a tub valve and fill the heater so that’s how I’ve always done it but it’s always good to get new perspectives
That’s about the only thing I miss about California, heaters in the garage or in an attached outhouse and not in a fricken basement! Well, add In-n-Out to the list! Let’s go Brandon! Oh, also the awesome Mexican food! We have a lot of good authentic Mexican restaurants here, but not as good.

·
Super Moderator
10,022 Posts
Regardless of if you let it fill all the way or not, tub hot is what I always open first when turning water back on. Water heater catches any sediment that got kicked up and the tub valve is usually least likely to clog. Also, air bubbles don't cause as much of a mess in a tub.
Yep, once it’s under full pressure tub first and depending on the area, remove aerators. Toilets last.

·
4th year apprentice
803 Posts
I've always just removed an aerator or two, but I like that tub idea. Going to try that from now on.

Ever been in a hurry or forget to bleed every faucet in the house, tell the homeowner that they might get sputtering from air in the lines for a few seconds when first turned on and STILL have them call the office freaking out the second they hear it?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
And then have a dispatcher who can't or won't bother to talk them through it, and sends someone out on a callback?

Yeah, me neither.
Usually I will go through the house and purge all the fixtures. It's a pitd for sure, especially in a house with 9 bathrooms, but it is rather upsetting for some of these richies to get splattered when they run a lav faucet. With what we charge it's expected we'll do it.

Granted, in some schit holes I couldn't care less.

·
4th year apprentice
803 Posts
I usually do too, but that one time I don't, sure as schitt it bites me. In theory I really do try to treat everyone the same no matter the condition of their home. I try to go more on attitude than anything else, but I am human, and sometimes I cave and think if they don't give a schitt why should I.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I replaced a water heater yesterday and asked the homeowner where the tub was so I can turn it on while I was filling up the heater to bleed the air out. He tells me he recently had it remodeled and ever since water comes out the shower head while he’s running the tub. Dopes View attachment 130804
That’s good let it smack him when running a tub of water that what you get with diyrs

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Yep, once it’s under full pressure tub first and depending on the area, remove aerators. Toilets last.
Yes. Except I got tired of having to backflush old gal anyway sometimes. I hate. That. And I got tired of explaining (before starting) to customers they might need a reroute/repipe because their old gal was old and eventually going to need to be replaced even though I was just the unlucky last one to touch their service. Now I do the explain-thing, then it's a slow, low pressure rinse and fill. Otherwise same routine. Hopefully.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Usually I will go through the house and purge all the fixtures. It's a pitd for sure, especially in a house with 9 bathrooms, but it is rather upsetting for some of these richies to get splattered when they run a lav faucet. With what we charge it's expected we'll do it.

Granted, in some schit holes I couldn't care less.
It's a dice-roll sometimes- One time, a customer heard "Can you open the nearest bathtub ALLTHEWAYHOT? I want to get the air out and rinse the pipes". I heard "OK!" as they turn to go in the house. They come back out and said "We don't use the tub, so I turned on the sinks." I walk in and they're wallmount waterfalls. Did I use too many words?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
It's a dice-roll sometimes- One time, a customer heard "Can you open the nearest bathtub ALLTHEWAYHOT? I want to get the air out and rinse the pipes". I heard "OK!" as they turn to go in the house. They come back out and said "We don't use the tub, so I turned on the sinks." I walk in and they're wallmount waterfalls. Did I use too many words?
That's why if I have reason to worry I don't ask them to do it.

On the rare occasion I have a helper I have them repeat the instructions back to me.

I just had a snaking call, got the line opened and asked the caretaker to turn the tub hot on and flush the toilet a couple times. I get the snake out, go to run the camera and I can't push it from friction. Phucker turned the tub off. So I ask "Did you turn the tub off?" in that tone that says "I know what you did and I am disappointed in you, go fix it.".

3301 - 3320 of 3323 Posts