Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
3181 - 3200 of 3273 Posts

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Anode rod still looks good 😂
Anode rods are primarily magnesium and very fun to light small chunks of them on fire with a torch. Wear welding glasses. They burn at over 3000F and give off UV light.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I bet with an acetylene torch you could light the end of a whole anode rod. The limiting factor for the size of a piece you can light on fire is it's thermal conductivity. It conducts most of the heat away before it lights. Largest I've done with a hand torch is roughly 3/4".

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
9,330 Posts
Looked at a rental today for a friend. It’s his last house, sold all the rest. He has this one rented for $1200/mo. I told him to just sell it as is, but he still wants everything brought up to code. View attachment 129492 View attachment 129493 View attachment 129494 View attachment 129495 View attachment 129496
Finally got a call back after calling numerous times after breaking my arm. He’s been down too. 70+ years old. Turns out he sold it for $63k. I think he made out well, considering the neighborhood. So I don’t have to deal with that mess. He still wants me to bill him for my time looking at it And parts I bought for the job.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts

·
Registered
Certified DIY Advisor (Terms and conditions apply)
334 Posts

All from the same house. Slapped a kitchenette right on the concrete floor of a basement and ran crappy pex to it, then stuck the drain out the back and into the floor drain. Water heater vent backgraded horribly and this is his switch for the kitchen light. His breaker panel is also ripped to shreds and wide open.

He has tenants living in there and has for months.

There's also no drywall.

WTF

·
Il Lic. Plumber
129 Posts
They tiled over existing ceramic tile with vinyl tiles but wouldn't pull the toilet and tiled around. Long time customer of mine just bought it and wanted to update toilets, now he is replacing floor

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I went to look at a house where they raised the main level up and build a new main level under it and now on new slab on grade with floor heat. Except for the concrete they had done it all themselves including the plumbing. I saw a couple pictures as I was trying to figure out what was going on. Zoom in and tell me that is not the P-trap for the shower tied directly in to a tee on its belly for the lav? Sure looks like it to me. Now they also want to have the laundry in that bathroom and wrap the drain around the wall and tie in to the lav drain. Bad drawing but you get the idea. I'm not sure whether to even take on the job as I'm afraid of the laundry then bubbling up in the shower. The darker picture clearly shows the tee on its belly and the lav drain by the woman and that is the only place I could connect the laundry drain.

I could use the work but they hacked it up underground and there is floorheat in the concrete so it can't be changed. I already decided not to do the boiler/WH as I want nothing to do with that system after seeing hiw they clearly did not do a good job on the floorheat in the concrete and how they are running floorheat up in the joists for the 2nd floor.

I would hate to say no the the DWV/water part but something tells me not to mess with it. What do you guys think about this DIY winner?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Walk away you will be glad you did, !
I did just now inform them of it before reading this. It's just a first for me to say no to a job. First off I got it through another plumber and second off I am normally the guy willing to work with what I have avaliable and am able to make it work anyway. I have seen plenty of bad work or ****ed up plumbing that I was still able to work with even though it meant being creative with the code requirements. This is a first for me to see something I'm afraid to get involved in.

They had done almost all work themselves but wanted some help now to be able to get their project done faster. Somehow getting help with the work that would be incased in concrete did not seem to be important and now I am sitting here saying sorry but you did such ****ty work that I am not able to fix it to the point I'm ok with saying it's going to work.

I just thought it was a winner because of how they put a tee facing down and then expect a lav and laundry to connect to it without any problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
DIY for sure. Biggest question I have is "Is PVC allowed to be poured in the monolithic slab "( Not as far as I know) ? Laundry is definitely a Fail.

Better just walk away unless they want you to fix it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
DIY for sure. Biggest question I have is "Is PVC allowed to be poured in the monolithic slab "( Not as far as I know) ? Laundry is definitely a Fail.

Better just walk away unless they want you to fix it.
PVC is absolutely allowed. It's allowed anywhere and is the standard around here. The only places PVC or ABS is not allowed as far I I am aware of, is in parking garages on the stack part for fear of getting hit by a car I assume just the stack as I have see it hanging up in the ceiling. And then also not allowed for grease interceptors vent and I believe first 10' of drain on them.

Yes I walked away. I could probably have done something to make it work but it was just not a job I wanted my name to be associated with.

3181 - 3200 of 3273 Posts