Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

3141 - 3153 of 3153 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
Tango Original

New home owners just bought the house, tub leaking, shower cracked to hell probably getting moldy and everything under the tile getting rotted out, toilet loose with stains coming from underneath, main valve dripping. I told them the more time I spend there the more diy I'll find.

Hidden valves under tile with kinked hoses, the tub skirt plywood wasn't even screwed and tile tile just peeled and broke off. I heard they will try and mediate to get some money back...Good luck with that. If they were so damn cheap in doing their own crap reno what makes you think they'll help you finance all their diy $hit.

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
You can attempt to open the drywall and give it the ol reach around
Impossible, there's going to be a 2x4 in the way and I'm not a contortionist. I've too much other hacking to fix.

Seriously the pandemic will provide me with an abundance of diy hacking tear out till the day I die. Why you ask, the big box stores are FULL during the week, I have a hard time finding a parking spot, I've never seen so many people, these places are so packed everyone is reno'ing, If I were to reno I'd have 6 full bath reno every week, they all want it for 200$ though. The guy in the plumbing isle was discouraged by the line up of diy waiting for him to explain how to do their own plumbing and fubar it for the new home owner. There will be a lot of lawsuits from the new owners.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Impossible, there's going to be a 2x4 in the way and I'm not a contortionist. I've too much other hacking to fix.
Pretty sure he was joking and just wanted a reason to talk to you about reach arounds ;)

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Had a woman this week thinking parts were included in the hourly rate! Usually it was the accents who thought like that.

Sure mam for 1 hour at 100$/hr of work you will get a new AC replacement.(Retail value 2000$). Yep makes sense.
You fix A/C systems?

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Putty or silicone? Neither, just use the cardboard ring that’s supposed to go under the sink. How this never leaked is beyond me. View attachment 129476

It's never ceased to amaze me where you can use cardboard/paper for a seal. It seems ridiculous until you remember it's just plant matter and we've use oakum for sealing between the wood planks of ships for what? 10,000years? Trees only leak when the darn hose heads poke holes in 'em!!

Cotton string on steel pipe, the washer on a sloan vacuum breaker, bonnet nut washers. As long as there's little to no movement, the material won't suffer abrasion, and the seal remains intact.

Check out this Sexauer kit, there's a comma after the word asbestos. It's not all asbestos fiber seals, it's asbestos AND fiber seals. What kind of fiber? Paper.

3141 - 3153 of 3153 Posts