Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

3121 - 3140 of 3152 Posts

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Have you ever seen the stainless rings fail? Just qurious as I believe they can still rust just takes alot more but if they get constantly wet I could see it happen. It's more that I really just don't trust that tiny lip that holds it to the pvc.
im with you,I like the plastic flanges and toilet is installed properly there are no problems
I understand why you're worried but no, I have never seen the stainless flanges rust at all. The "tiny lip" that holds the plastic flange up in the stainless ring isn't really tiny. Also, it's only job is to hold the wax to the toilet, it shouldn't have any weight on it. Since the stainless flange never fails the toilet won't rock in such a way that the pipe is pulled.

Now if you use crappy fasteners or the floor rots out, that's another issue altogether. Large tapcons make great wood screws.

I have seen to many all plastic flanges fail to even think about installing one.

·
4th year apprentice
601 Posts
I have seen way more metal flanges fail than PVC, including stainless. I hate the metal ones with a red painted coating. I've seen them rust out that were only a few years old. I've seen very few PVC fail, only one or two not including the one that I broke as a 1st year.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I have seen way more metal flanges fail than PVC, including stainless. I hate the metal ones with a red painted coating. I've seen them rust out that were only a few years old. I've seen very few PVC fail, only one or two not including the one that I broke as a 1st year.
You've seen properly installed stainless flanges fail?

I've seen the all plastic ones fail from age/shrinking(ABS) and people rocking/walking into the toilet(ABS & PVC). When the joni bolts get tightened it stresses the pastic and eventually it just snaps. Granted most of the ones I've seen were decades old. Stainless doesn't go bad though.

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
Tango Original

A company I worked for only 2 days (The one I arrived to work on a bicycle). The guy was not happy to sign the paperwork it wasn't to code and said no one else told him. Well I'm covering my butt the others don't care, that's the type of work they do.

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
Tango Original

What a day, 4 jobs, 3 price whinners.

One job the water heater safety valve was dripping a lot and the woman thought her divorced ex (still living with her) had sabotaged it. Crazy people!

Last job the wife said she wanted me to fix the lav leak even if the husband didn't want to pay for it. All 4 flex lines(8 joints) under the lav were only finger tight!! ....Which also ruined the ceiling. The guy was silent but boiling angry at the bill when he got home and I was leaving even if I saved them from a major flood. And people constantly say I should of become a plumber. I'm about to slap them behind the head when they say that.

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
Tango Original

What a day, 4 jobs, 3 price whinners.

One job the water heater safety valve was dripping a lot and the woman thought her divorced ex (still living with her) had sabotaged it. Crazy people!

Last job the wife said she wanted me to fix the lav leak even if the husband didn't want to pay for it. All 4 flex lines(8 joints) under the lav were only finger tight!! ....Which also ruined the ceiling. The guy was silent but boiling angry at the bill when he got home and I was leaving even if I saved them from a major flood. And people constantly say I should of become a plumber. I'm about to slap them behind the head when they say that.

View attachment 129377

View attachment 129378

View attachment 129379

View attachment 129380
S trap. Illegal here.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
3121 - 3140 of 3152 Posts