Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

3101 - 3120 of 3152 Posts

·
Registered
Certified DIY Advisor (Terms and conditions apply)
278 Posts
Tango Original

I was discouraged. A full spacer surround? When I pulled it some bozo instead of screwing the flange to the floor and leveling the lead he put 3/8" of plaster of paris under the flange hoping it would stick... took 1 hour to chip the junk underneath.

View attachment 129266

View attachment 129267
The angle stop coming out of the floor is a nice touch

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
There was apparently a cable stuck in the traparm on this remodel I'm doing. Took a minute for me to realize why the saw wouldn't advance anymore. I looked inside the 4"X1.5" tee for that traparm. It doesn't look like that was draining much as its completely crusted up. Come to cut the stack in the attic and realized that the last connection before going through the roof had never been poured and the pipe was just loosely sitting in it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
There was apparently a cable stuck in the traparm on this remodel I'm doing. Took a minute for me to realize why the saw wouldn't advance anymore. I looked inside the 4"X1.5" tee for that traparm. It doesn't look like that was draining much as its completely crusted up. Come to cut the stack in the attic and realized that the last connection before going through the roof had never been poured and the pipe was just loosely sitting in it.

Over ten years ago I went to a job with my boss, I don’t remember what the job was, but we pulled the stool and video the line. We had to run to the supply house for something and stopped for lunch. When we got back I grabbed the sawzall and headed into the crawl and proceeded to cut the 3” copper. For some reason the blade wouldn’t cut all the way through. Then it dawned on me that I hadn’t pulled the camera back.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
........... the last connection before going through the roof had never been poured and the pipe was just loosely sitting in it..........
That's an old trick to catch the water that drips between the flashing and the vent pipe. Wink wink nod nod lolz

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Over ten years ago I went to a job with my boss, I don’t remember what the job was, but we pulled the stool and video the line. We had to run to the supply house for something and stopped for lunch. When we got back I grabbed the sawzall and headed into the crawl and proceeded to cut the 3” copper. For some reason the blade wouldn’t cut all the way through. Then it dawned on me that I hadn’t pulled the camera back.
HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!! My worst nightmare. Better you than me. I was about to cut some orangeburg with my shovel last summer when I realized the camera was still in the line. I almost told an excavator to rip up the old line when my camera was in it the year before. So, so close!

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!! My worst nightmare. Better you than me. I was about to cut some orangeburg with my shovel last summer when I realized the camera was still in the line. I almost told an excavator to rip up the old line when my camera was in it the year before. So, so close!
That feeling when you stomach sinks down to your butt hole! Oh F’ck!

How often do you come across orangeburg? I’ve only seen it a couple of times. Clay was the more popular piping at that time here.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
That feeling when you stomach sinks down to your butt hole! Oh F’ck!

How often do you come across orangeburg? I’ve only seen it a couple of times. Clay was the more popular piping at that time here.
I bet you it wasn't that clay was more popular in the 60's/70's, just that there was more construction when clay was in use and less construction when orangeburg was en vogue. OR clay is more likely to have issues than orangeburg in your area.

You have to keep in mind your perspective.
We as drain snakers aren't going out and cameraing random lines, we are only going to houses that have issues with their waste lines. For instance, there are two blocks of houses I almost never have to snake. Almost all of them have transite lines because they all got connected to town sewer in the 50's. When I do have to snake it's where the transite is connected to clay or cast iron that I find the issue, usually roots, sometimes a bad joint.

For buried lines I run into cast iron most often, clay and orangeburg are about even. Often a line will have both orangeburg and clay, likely because most of our clay is very old and would have been patched with orangeburg. On shorter runs the lines are often all cast iron. I rarely run into abs or transite. I have run into a "failed" sched 40 pvc line twice in the past ten years, once was an unglued joint, the other was lifted by a root the size of my arm growing right under the coupling.

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
My understanding is that orangeburg was a cheap material used to save metal for the military.
The town I live in had a huge clay pipe factory back in the day! So pre ‘80 pvc underground is non existent, mostly clay, some cast to the street like my old house. I’ve even seen clay used for drainage on a golf course installed less than ten years ago.

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
THAT IS WHAT I HAVE RUN INTO OFTEN IN THE SUPPLY SIDE OF THE TRADE
PLUMBERS CUTTING THEIR CAMERA PUSH RODS

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
Tango Original

Full story in the soaps, but he tried to change out the whole tub/shower faucet by twisting the spouts. That's how it's done in the movies...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hahahahaha,no paycheck for 2-months

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
You know it's a hack job when it's an all plastic flange.
Have you ever seen the stainless rings fail? Just qurious as I believe they can still rust just takes alot more but if they get constantly wet I could see it happen. It's more that I really just don't trust that tiny lip that holds it to the pvc.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
It ugh
Have you ever seen the stainless rings fail? Just qurious as I believe they can still rust just takes alot more but if they get constantly wet I could see it happen. It's more that I really just don't trust that tiny lip that holds it to the pvc.

im with you,I like the plastic flanges and toilet is installed properly there are no problems

3101 - 3120 of 3152 Posts