Registered
4,714 Posts
Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
That poor 1200
:cry:
I have seen the hole too small before where you could not quite get to the stops or screws and such. This one though really surprised me. I called and had the handyman send his new guy back to make me a 3.5" hole right away. He came over real quick and made the hole while I installed a new toilet. I showed him the screw holes and stops and cartridge retaining clip and explained it all to him so he would not do that again. I miss the handymans old guy already since he was an ok guy and did good work. I now dread the future troubles this new guy will cause me.

The new guy actually also just cut and removed the tile and not the cement board and then asked me if that was good and I had to tell him that still did not help as he needed the hole cut fully open so I could actually get to the valve itself.

Here is the hole after he was done.
Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have seen the hole too small before where you could not quite get to the stops or screws and such. This one though really surprised me. I called and had the handyman send his new guy back to make me a 3.5" hole right away. He came over real quick and made the hole while I installed a new toilet. I showed him the screw holes and stops and cartridge retaining clip and explained it all to him so he would not do that again. I miss the handymans old guy already since he was an ok guy and did good work. I now dread the future troubles this new guy will cause me.

The new guy actually also just cut and removed the tile and not the cement board and then asked me if that was good and I had to tell him that still did not help as he needed the hole cut fully open so I could actually get to the valve itself.

Here is the hole after he was done.
Where was the plastic valve cover specifically made for stupid tile guys?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
No where to be found when I got back to trim it out. The guy actually asked me how it was going to be sealed water tight if he made such a big hole so I take it that he took it upon himself to take the screw out and remove it.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Welllll there was a reason I put quotation marks around tile guy. I did also mention that it is the new guy working for a handyman company we do alot of remodels for.

Sounds like less of a handyman and more of a bad carpenter or general contractor.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sounds like less of a handyman and more of a bad carpenter or general contractor.
Its a small company that does mostly remodel jobs. I do alot of bathroom remodels for them. Yes it does sound more like a General contractor or carpenter as such. The fact though is that they do remodels and small jobs and literally has the word handyman in their company name.

Oh and they normally do a pretty good job from what I have seen.

·
Super Moderator
7,970 Posts
I've never seen covers on on the finish, for some reason someone loves to take them off and throw them with the screws out then the hole is too small and the carriage is globed with mud and or grout. I've never truly seen a tile guy in my life or drywall guy that was smart. Maybe 1 or 2 came close otherwise if they were smart enough they would chose a trade that requires more intelligence.

Many plumbers and apprentice also chuck them out because they can't or won't read the instructions.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
The first is a shut off for a toilet.
The second is a plug that got fused in by the dope they used.
The tree is leaning toward a road but they can't cut it down because it's on wetlands.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Unfortunately this was a great plumber who was with us for almost two decades. He left and started his own company. This was a bathroom remodel. It leaked, he came back and tried to fix it from the hole, still leaked, never came back. The customer called us to fix. I had them get a carpenter to remove the kitchen cabinet so I could come back and replace it.

The bathroom was originally torn to the studs only on the inside, the kitchen cabinets were on the backside of this stud bay. For some reason he left a piece of plywood in the bay that was covering the copper right up to the fitting. This stopped him from being able to solder it correctly. Everyone can make bad choices. Some times one bad choice leads to several more compounding the issue.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
A whole box of ridex because the terlet was clogged lolz

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
When heat line antifreeze goes SOUR!

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Might need a new sloan valve...lolz Maintenance kept putting new guts in.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
A great mix of ABS & PVC a real handymans delight !

We call those "hardware store specials" because the hardware store never had everything you needed in one material. Most of those specials around here are from the same era when we only had one hardware store within 45mins and there wasn't a supply house for an hour or so.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Busy week Skoro? Those are some good ones!
Yes and no.

Funny enough in that yes, what I've been posting is a pretty good example of the mix of things I deal with in a week. Throw in a bunch of fixture and faucet replacements, and a hand or two of main line snaking jobs and this is a normal week for me.

No in that what I've been posting is actually old pics from the past month or so. Most of what I deal with isn't as spectacularly bad as what tango finds, and I often don't take pictures because I am so busy or just leave the phone in the van. And most of the time when I do take pictures I don't get around to posting them for a while. When I get a couple hundred pics on the phone I copy everything to my pc. After that I am likely to post them, usually two weeks after I have taken the pics.

This morning at 1:30AM I did have a call for a clogged sewer pump though. One of our new plumbers took the call as it was for a "sump pump", he arrived to find a sewage pump in a leaking liberty pump chamber. When I got there I asked him what his plan was if it was actually a sump pump since he doesn't carry a spare pump or float switches.

2561 - 2580 of 2667 Posts