Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

2541 - 2556 of 2556 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
Back in 1979 working for Company hung up Spartan 3/4" cable in 6" clay full of roots, My Brother was running the backhoe on the Job, and cut 1/2 the city power line single phasing the Electric for 10 square blocks of residential
houses,
Those types of accidents really makes for a very bad day and probably a lot of money to fix.

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
Mr Looter has a new way of doing business? A "technician" went out to this woman's house "to go take a look", I mean it literally "to go take a look" , he went there to check out the issue but he wasn't there for a repair, he lied to her a little, showed her a few faucets from a brochure they had in stock and he went on his way. I told her why didn't he fix your faucet? She said he was only some type of clerk. What a waste of time for everyone! Anyway I got the job plus a few other repairs, I bet I'm her new plumber, she was delighted. I said to her this has been broken for a while you know! Cheap brand...

Bonus pics

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
But you won't get any gas smell as long as the dishwasher hose has a loop in it where it will hold water,I've seen many like this work just fine as long as the hose is looped high enough
I noticed not all have a loop. Many are just connected under. Another thing when it starts to drain it siphons all the water including what's inside the machine. When it does this the whole line is air all the way to the sewer line unless it's protected by a p-trap.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Same house, the pipe was about 1/3 in the tee! They were damn lucky not to get a guyser, I pulled it out with bare hands without force or heat!

View attachment 126293

View attachment 126294

View attachment 126295
I noticed not all have a loop. Many are just connected under. Another thing when it starts to drain it siphons all the water including what's inside the machine. When it does this the whole line is air all the way to the sewer line unless it's protected by a p-trap.
yes,if it siphons all water out you will get sewer gas smell but most times water is left in hose if looped up high

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
But you won't get any gas smell as long as the dishwasher hose has a loop in it where it will hold water,I've seen many like this work just fine as long as the hose is looped high enough
yes,if it siphons all water out you will get sewer gas smell but most times water is left in hose if looped up high
Keep in mind that some newer dishwashers have this weird trap/vent/air gap thing on the side. I never stopped to really scrutinize one but I've seen them a couple times on bosch and I think miele washers. They can cause lots of mold/mildew next to the machine because they vent moisture.

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
Mr Looter has a new way of doing business? A "technician" went out to this woman's house "to go take a look", I mean it literally "to go take a look" , he went there to check out the issue but he wasn't there for a repair, he lied to her a little, showed her a few faucets from a brochure they had in stock and he went on his way. I told her why didn't he fix your faucet? She said he was only some type of clerk. What a waste of time for everyone! Anyway I got the job plus a few other repairs, I bet I'm her new plumber, she was delighted. I said to her this has been broken for a while you know! Cheap brand...
Guess what she refereed me and now I have another job! I rarely get word of mouth referrals but this one is cool.

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
I’m still trying to wrap my head around how Canadian society works. Very different from the States. Word of mouth, repeat and reputation are the only way I stay busy.

I have a good reputation and they call me but in order to see me they have to see the ad or website on the internet. Let's say you need someone to repair your fridge, do you ask your neighbor if he knows a repairman? Probably not you go online and type in fridge repair in your browser and it'll show you what companies are available.

It boggles me just as much those who live on referrals alone without ads. Do you make money doing service work alone? Doing service you need hundreds and hundreds of jobs to make a living. Do your customers spend all day yapping and gossiping to each other? Either that or these guys do renovations for extra cheap or cash under the table??

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I’m still trying to wrap my head around how Canadian society works. Very different from the States. Word of mouth, repeat and reputation are the only way I stay busy.
.............It boggles me just as much those who live on referrals alone without ads. Do you make money doing service work alone? Doing service you need hundreds and hundreds of jobs to make a living. Do your customers spend all day yapping and gossiping to each other? Either that or these guys do renovations for extra cheap or cash under the table??

It's not a canadian-american difference, it's a small town-big city difference.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Skoro is right in a way.

Here going to crib night or a ball game. Gets you seen and recognized.

If I wanted to make a living I was travelling a hundred miles at times. I always stopped for lunch in the local restaurant, or bar even supper at times. I made sure I stopped for coffee at the popular places and buy the coffees. I never had a sign on any of my trucks, but I would get flagged down in a strange town they knew who I was.

Another secret is never bad mouth your competition or whine about your day. Just smile and tell a joke.

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
Big city is different, I don't even know my neighbors(only have the renters beside with the A-hole fellon trash picker). As for outings I don't have any other than a few restaurants on the weekends in my non descript personal car where the waitresses are only there a few months while they study at the university. Even if I did use the company van which must be lettered people wouldn't try to look who's in the work van anyway. The only people who approached me when I was in the van were diy asking how to do their plumbing.😠

Plus I go to people's house to do mostly 1 hour jobs so obviously there's not much time for the customer to remember you 3 months later and refer you to somebody else.

I'm not in the biggest city but in another big city we asked people where the hockey stadium was and people literally avoided us and one woman ran away.

I don't bad mouth companies because it's bad for business except when it's the fake plumber and I just say he doesn't have a plumbing license. I also keep my mouth shut because it's a finable offense.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
.................Plus I go to people's house to do mostly 1 hour jobs so obviously there's not much time for the customer to remember you 3 months later and refer you to somebody else.
One of the best advertising methods I have ever seen are fridge magnets.

Be extra nice, tell some jokes, find something about their house to compliment that you genuinely mean. They will remember the nice plumber with the big personality.

Don't just say, you have a really nice house. Say that, but then follow up with a compliment on a specific part of the home.

Do they have an antique plumbing fixture? Point that out. Every time they look at their antique sink they'll remember the plumber who told them it was over 90 years old.

If you want them to remember you than make your self worth remembering :)

2541 - 2556 of 2556 Posts