2521 - 2540 of 2556 Posts

·
Il Lic. Plumber
40 Posts
What size cable do you run in the 300 . I always ran 5/8 "

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did this one a few weeks back kinda hard to tell from the picture but across from the 1 1/2” line drilled into the cleanout is the inlet of a sanitary tee also 1 1/2”. The washer line left the house in 1 1/2 and ran into a sanitary tee in the ground. Upstream of the tee wrapped around the back of the house and tied into the cleanout... downstream side wrapped around the front of the house caught the kitchen sink and... also tied into the cleanout😅

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
What size cable do you run in the 300 . I always ran 5/8 "
I bite the bullet and go with the .55. I can fit 100’ in the drum verse only 75’ of 5/8. Most lines out here are close to 100’, so it saves time and is pretty close to the same performance. I also carry a second drum with 50’ just in case I need an extra 20‘ beyond that, it’s k1500 time.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I bite the bullet and go with the .55. I can fit 100’ in the drum verse only 75’ of 5/8. Most lines out here are close to 100’, so it saves time and is pretty close to the same performance. I also carry a second drum with 50’ just in case I need an extra 20‘ beyond that, it’s k1500 time.
I hope that second drum is bigger than 1/2" and not just more of the same. When I run out my 100' of 5/8" and need to go further I will back it with my 75' drum of 3/4". Trying to run that much of a small diameter cable is asking for trouble.

Generally 100' is sufficient for me, especially if I can also run both to and from the tank. When they have a really long line I refer them to a jetter. no point in me risking my cable to poke a hole when they could use a good scrubbing. We have a ridgid sectional with like 200' but only use it when the couple other guys we refer to can't make it there quickly enough.

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
I hope that second drum is bigger than 1/2" and not just more of the same. When I run out my 100' of 5/8" and need to go further I will back it with my 75' drum of 3/4". Trying to run that much of a small diameter cable is asking for trouble.

Generally 100' is sufficient for me, especially if I can also run both to and from the tank. When they have a really long line I refer them to a jetter. no point in me risking my cable to poke a hole when they could use a good scrubbing. We have a ridgid sectional with like 200' but only use it when the couple other guys we refer to can't make it there quickly enough.
[/QUOTE

So far I haven’t had to go out past 100’ with .55, I only would if the line felt good enough. I’ve been out 200’ with 5/8 before. You just have to feel the line and go with your gut.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I ran out 150' of 5/8" cable many times even in clearing 6" sewer lines, I have even added a 3/4" cable on behind
to reach blockage, if you know how you can do it too
I'm not saying you can't do it, just saying that for me it's not worth the risk. I have only lost a piece of cable/head in a line once and that was a looong time ago.

I was snaking a main from a basement c.o.. The drain in the bottom of the pool was tied into the waste line to the septic tank with a wye that was pointing the wrong way. My cable went up the leg of the wye and got stuck on the fitting in the bottom of the pool drain. I worked it back and forth for about 40mins before the last 6' broke off in the 2" leg. I then had to repair the cable and managed to go past the leg by running the cable in reverse to clear a clog at the inlet of the septic tank.

I don't know what the drain fitting in the bottom of the pool was made out of but it's good it didn't break before my cable or there would have been several thousand gallons of pool water coming out of that cleanout and flooding the basement.

I know it was the pool drain because I camera'd the line after and it had blue glue joints matching the pool equipment. I also tracked the camera to under the pool.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Now that I think abut it, there was a second time I lost a bit and a repair head in a line. This woman had a failing clay pipe and there was a grounding rod pounded through the cast iron just outside the foundation. I couldn't get my head back past the rod because it had too many roots on it so the repair head unscrewed. I told her it's draining now but it will clog and you need to have it dug up. The excavator lives the next street over.

I had snaked that line just fine several times a year for about 4 years prior to that incident.

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
This one where the clean out is, they had capped it 2 feet under the floor and rerouted. The new owner said I'll cut it out for you.! I said yes YES YES, be careful it's going to be full of hell! I asked him later so how did it go?.... He gaged it was full of $hit and he almost puked. A few more pics to show how bad the place is. Cigarette hell! And oh the exterior wall is rotted and molded, he's just going to cover it up.

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Our excavator guy wiped out the city phone line.. it was marked properly..

I was inside doing the underground.
View attachment 126267
Back in 1979 working for Company hung up Spartan 3/4" cable in 6" clay full of roots, My Brother was running the backhoe on the Job, and cut 1/2 the city power line single phasing the Electric for 10 square blocks of residential
houses,

2521 - 2540 of 2556 Posts