Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
Master Plumber
652 Posts
The company I work for has these mobile boiler trailers for temp heat and DHW. I was assigned the task of hauling the 26’ box trailer to a 75 unit apartment building to set it up for a complete DHW system replacement. So I get to the property and open the doors to the trailer and this is what I find. 3” Vic coupling completely frozen and blown apart. Also a blown out 3/4” 45 on the line to the expansion tank. Come to find out the last time this particular unit was picked up from a job the service manager sent a first year apprentice to drain and winterize it. It was just assumed by the service manager that it was all set without any follow up. The trailer was parked at the shop until now. Needless to say I was pretty mad!!!

· Registered
Master Plumber
652 Posts
I put a tri fuel carb( gasoline, natural gas and propane) on my big generac generator so I just connect the fuel line to my BBQ gas line and im good to go..if the natural gas ever got shut off I can use bottled propane or gasoline...I made a double ended extension cord, 50 amp and plugs into my welding outlet and I shut the main panel breaker to isolate from the public wiring in the street..
they make a lock out kit for about $75.00 that wont let the welding breaker be on if the main panel breaker is on...
[/URL][/URL]
I just installed an interlock kit on my panel this year. This way the wife can turn the generator on if the power goes out when I’m not home. I also installed a sensor by Reliance Controls called a “power back”. It has a wire that wraps around one on the main legs going into the panel. It runs off of a 9v and you turn it on when the powers out and when the grid power is restored it sounds an alarm so you know you can switch back

· Registered
Master Plumber
652 Posts
Obviously an outdoor kitchen setup. It seems that even plumbers thing they can just hack those things in all the time. I’ve seen a lot of terrible schit going on under them. Probably didn’t see the need to pull the sprayer out more than 6” anyway. I especially like the gas line for the grill running at a 30° angle. Really ties the whole thing together.

· Registered
Master Plumber
652 Posts
Went to fix a leaking water pipe at an apartment building we service all the time. When I walked into the entry I noticed a brand new baseboard heater in the foyer, there was previously no heat in this space. When I went down to the basement I was looking around for some shut off valves and found some really hacked in piping. Then I realize it’s on the opposite side of the wall as the new baseboard. Come to find out it was one of our guys that did the work. I offered to repipe it because I was already there but my boss insisted that he was going to send the original guy back to make the change. You can see in the first picture that the only hanger on this 20’ of pipe is a stupid little strap hanger coming off the wall horizontally. In the second you can see two more strap hanger doing absolutely nothing and the rest of the piping laying on top of the old HVAC equipment. What an embarrassment. Granted, this place is a real crap hole but the integrity of your work should not have anything to do with where you are working. All I can say is I hope I found this work, and it gets fixed before the building owner sees it.

· Registered
Master Plumber
652 Posts
Tango Original

Big expensive house and it's half a$esd diy. What's the metal junction box for under a dishwasher and that nude copper wire it's a spare or something?? How about a pex reducer and electrical tape to take up the slack? The new home owners, the woman, decided she had enough with the dishwasher not draining so she bought another one, she didn't care if it was only a clog the new one went in. Fine by me, spent 2.5 hours on that dam thing. This week's paycheck will cover last weeks 2 days without work.

View attachment 128421

View attachment 128422

View attachment 128423

View attachment 128424
Just tie the bare wire to the white wire. They both go to the same place right? Haha

· Registered
Master Plumber
652 Posts
Tango Original

legal or illegal I don't remember all my gas code but it sure is lazy. And how about a bucket for a diy sump pit! The woman was wondering what I could do about the burping lav drain, well mam I have to tear out walls because some diy didn't put any vents and you are breathing sewer gas. Should of seen her face turn sour!

And by the way since your new furnace is so tight, you'll have to take it out if you want me to go back there to access the majority of the house pipes or hire a company with employees built like skinny twigs.

View attachment 128529

View attachment 128530
Illegal. CSST is not a substitute for a union. You could by code use a flexible gas connector, although very hack still permissible by code.

· Registered
Master Plumber
652 Posts
We can only use flexible gas connectors since we’re in earthquake country
Very interesting. I wouldn’t have considered the benefit of a flexible connection for earthquake safety. I assumed you’d have to use a flexible fuel line like the ones required on a standby generator. Those must be installed straight, you can’t bend them.

· Registered
Master Plumber
652 Posts
He’s a foreman at a saw mill. He knows cheap beer and cheap whiskey! Other than that, great guy. The type that has your back no matter what.
I think he’s being lazy. Doesn’t want to do it, wife and kids will be gone next Saturday, so why not get the shower plumbed and have a few beers with cousins?

He’s going to find a live edge slab for a double vanity countertop for us.

Already told him I’m going to confiscate the sharkbites. They come in handy for temp repairs.
I suppose you’re right. I’ve plumbed in a tub/shower for a buddy for a few Coors Banquets and a couple games of cribbage before.

· Registered
Master Plumber
652 Posts
That's what I had when I bought the house, I decided to swap it out after 10 years just in case. I replaced one element and cleaned the elements twice after that because they were crudy and making sizzling sounds.
I had a friend who bought one and I installed it for him. The tank leaked right out of the box. We took it back to HD and got another one... same thing!!! Finally the third one didn’t leak.

· Registered
Master Plumber
652 Posts
Tango Original

Guy here is renovating a little at a time. Where the kitchen sink was is now a front door. Clogged line job. Yep a reno done by the step father, he said they fired him because he never reno'd before. He asked me if I could break concrete and repipe. NO!

As a side note I need to change my car's license plates, I was thinking of going with HACKS ?

View attachment 128662

View attachment 128663

View attachment 128664
I never knew you could actually screw a CO plug into a dishwasher tailpiece. You learn something new every day. I wonder if there’s a top hat washer in there?

· Registered
Master Plumber
652 Posts
So I went to a new home that had a sewer back up on his main floor... powder room toilet. He did have a full basement. Sewer went u through the foundation. Cameraed line and found this beauty... wanna take a guess what you are looking at? The winner gets a link to my ex wife's mfc cam girl videos

View attachment 129979
Did someone glue the 3” 90 with a 2” LS90 stuck inside of it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts