Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,961 Posts
That or a trip charge.[/QUOTE

Most of the time people who tried to unclog their drain with a cheap snake don't want to pay very much for a professional service. In my experience they usually think you will go there from your kindness of your heart to help them out in exchange for a coffee.

Well that's what I think anyway for my area. But yeah you are right a trip charge. I had only one bite from that charge because his floor was flooded.
Years ago working for the big R.R. had a call for a washer drain found that the homeowners had used a hand crank snake and they had cranked it where it had doubled itself not once back and forth up and down the vent
10" of 3/8" cable had to out the san tee and replace it then snake the drain,
wish that I had a camera back in the day

· Super Moderator
3,961 Posts
The majority of plumbers use channellocks.
I used Channellocks for over 30 years as a Plumber never no problem just when I used other brands, I used every size from the 6" up to the 460's and different styles, mostly the 412's nothing better for working under a sink or to tighten
water flex's on a water heater, the 460's great for tighten basket strainer nuts

· Super Moderator
3,961 Posts
I don’t miss working with stucco at all!

I think I have a few more winners to post after the last few weeks, hopefully I don’t repeat posting any....
Stucco repair was one one of the things I learned as a apprentice,
helped sale a plumbing job where we had to open a wall :biggrin::biggrin:

· Super Moderator
3,961 Posts
I use oil base pipe dope on lots of threads more as a lubricant than sealant , it helps take things apart down the road and helps threads from galling when put together dry...
on compression, I dope both the threads and ferrel and dont have leaks unless the ferrel is damaged..
I always used LACO SlicTite Teflon paste, It is good on all types of pipe threads
plus it will not hurt any small kids that decide to taste it :biggrin:

· Super Moderator
3,961 Posts
I’ve seen intentionally bent galvanized water lines a few times over the years, not common, but I do see them. Was this a common/accepted thing to do, or was this done by a penny pinching plumber back in the day?

I have seen this many times over the years from SO. CA. to W. WASH. STATE
and SLC, UT :biggrin:
I think it is the way old time plumbers saved fittings and got the job done, :biggrin:

· Super Moderator
3,961 Posts
Next this guy just sold the house and just remembered he lived with the tub burping for the last 5 years and wanted to have it checked out why. Double tub trap and retarded loop vent. Zero vent downstairs and none for the tub. The tee under the laundry tub stubs out for a laundry machine. My guess is the cheap a$$ previous owner hired an 300 hour apprentice doing night jobs and stole the company's pvc pipes and fittings to create this $hit.

And how about a few vent 90's for the tub drain. No wonder why 3/8" cable never works in my area, EVERYTHING IS HACKED>>>>EVERYTHING!!

WOW ! That is great the most use of fittings without going anywhere ! :biggrin::biggrin:

· Super Moderator
3,961 Posts

You do realize that being a plumber means getting your hands dirty right?

My idea of pride is a hard day's work and providing for my family. If I get dirty I use soap and water, because if you can believe it, they have this new invention called "Indoor plumbing" :devil3:

Makes me think of this guy we hired from white suburbia. Showed up in a pearl white beamer looking like a swizz beats wannabe. His home depot bucket and bucket buddy were perfectly clean, as were his tools. I said he didn't need to buy brand new tools, dirty ones are fine ;) He said he had them for ten years+ :surprise: I looked and indeed, many had not been sold in stores for years. Not a single spot of dope on any of them! He said all they did was pex on newcon/reno and that he was a job manager in charge of like 10 guys. I asked our boss and he assured me this was true. He had a 4 year plumbing license and a 2 year heating license. I don't think he had ever touch oil or worked in a trench though. The dirtiest he got was drywall and osb dust.

Guy was with us two weeks on a massive reno of an old BnB. Got caught by the customers job manager smoking pot by the porta potties with a young helper. The job manager told the GC's job manager who told our boss who sent them home.

They both drive back to the shop in the same truck to pick up their vehicles. Young helper says hey, it was my pot, my first issue in the couple years I have been here, I will tell boss it was all me and that you just had a cigarette and I had the joint. Young helper goes up to take the fall with the boss while pretty boy just phucks off in his beamer, never to be seen or heard from again. Our poor helper got a month of unpaid leave.

We had just started that job and were hiring a couple extra guys for it. The first order of business was fixing or 50 leaks on hundreds of feet of 3" PVC drains in this 4' tall area between the first floor ceiling and the second floor. I am sure monkeying around between the angled 2x4's was way too much of an indignity for him. Apparently, the nearly double we were paying him over his last job wasn't enough because he actually had to work.

When I was running shop in L.A. I hired a journeyman plumber who boasted
of all his plumbing tools he carried in his truck so I hired him,
It just happened that our shop water service started leaking, appox 25' between from meter to building under asphalt dug it up, and started replacing with copper he came in the shop and asked to borrow a pair of channel locks,
so I asked him about his tools he said that he could not use them on the job
because he wanted to save them for when he got his Master Lic, and started his own company he wanted to have all new tools not used one's, so I told him he could get started on his on right now, because I hired him at the wage which was being paid to use those tools, :vs_mad:

· Super Moderator
3,961 Posts
Any time we cut open a line with backfall or a belly and sewage dumps out my Master gags bad. I just laugh at him!

I had the same problem when I was working in the field, No matter how many times you tell the people not to flush while you cut the sewer pipe
they still will flush it, I have never had one job when they did not flush
it was always someone who did not get the word or they plain just forgot

1 - 20 of 46 Posts