Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean to knock any companys products but I will take my chances. Has anyone hooked up a Delta mini widespread lavatory faucet lately?
These things have to be the most agravating things I have ever encountered. I have a builder who uses mostly granite or marble lav tops and these faucets that they specify to use are such a pain in the :censored:.
The spout part is the most difficult to tighten from underneath the cabinet. I have even ground down my basin wrench to make it flatter to try to get it between the base of the unit and the fastening nut which did not help. I only ruined a good Rigid basin wrench.
I wish Delta had this faucet up their .... :censored:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Not here Delta is not common where I'm at, Moen is thou, there easy to install.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't mean to knock any companys products but I will take my chances. Has anyone hooked up a Delta mini widespread lavatory faucet lately?
These things have to be the most agravating things I have ever encountered. I have a builder who uses mostly granite or marble lav tops and these faucets that they specify to use are such a pain in the :censored:.
The spout part is the most difficult to tighten from underneath the cabinet. I have even ground down my basin wrench to make it flatter to try to get it between the base of the unit and the fastening nut which did not help. I only ruined a good Rigid basin wrench.
Been awhile. Is this the one with the connecting bar underneath? I recall them being an aggravating SOB. I got no special tools or tricks to offer you either. Seen the thick granite aggravation also combined with the cabinetmaker screwing you with supports in the way.

The Moens with the little umbrellas are pretty user friendly.

Anyone that designs anything that must be field installed should have a test room with various situations one might run into where the designer MUST install it in all these ways in my opinion.

J.C.

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree JC. If they had to install 4 or 5 of these in the same house then they would see just how we had to earn our money that day for sure. Yes, it is the one with the connecting bar.Sometimes I think I should e-mail the company to complain

·
Banned
8,808 Posts

J.C.

Installed one yesterday in 15 min or less, very user friendly, and I did not even have to look at the pictures.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I have found Grohe widespreads are "user friendly" widesrpeads like California Faucets are problems fromt he start with pieces missing, defective leaking spout o-rings, just a few to mention, and not only that, the average cost of one of these faucets, around $700 for what? PROBLEMS!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Been awhile. Is this the one with the connecting bar underneath? I recall them being an aggravating SOB. I got no special tools or tricks to offer you either. Seen the thick granite aggravation also combined with the cabinetmaker screwing you with supports in the way.

Anyone that designs anything that must be field installed should have a test room with various situations one might run into where the designer MUST install it in all these ways in my opinion.

J.C.
I strongly agree:thumbsup:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts

Thanksgiving eve, customer called me up, told me he's finished and can't go no further, just get over here and

He had disconnected one of those mini widespread faucets and moved it to a granite cabinet sink.

He had the hot and cold reversed, I couldn't get the handles to eyebrow the sink bowl.

So, he took it all apart since he was a pro and taking it apart and putting it together. :laughing: I watched while I got paid at $105/hour. :eek::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Once he got it in, everything is moving and the idiot plumber who first installed it, didn't use the rubbers underneath for tension for the hold down nuts. He used in a pinch some flat foam padding for inside of tool boxes but it wasn't working well.

He said the faucet constantly turned, lost its settings all the time on the pedestal sink.

But I used SS flexies for the water lines and cut the trap arm flush with the solvent weld connector at the wall, used a cut straight piece off a rubber P-trap he bought and used the 1-1/2" tubular straight piece as a coupling. He thought that was slick that I knew that would work. :thumbsup: In a pinch, thanksgiving eve? I can make anything work.

Anyhow, that white vinyl connecting tubes on those Delta's on an 8" spread is horrible, they work a lot better on a 12" spread. Those connections are too close together @ 8".

Thick rubber washers that match the fender washers on that faucet is the true fix on a granite install. Something has to offer an ability to tension that faucet down, otherwise it'll never work at staying stationary.

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
solvent weld connector? You mean trap adaptor? Thats what we call them anyhow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i Try to get to the granite first and install the faucet .. then ill set the granite on the vanity myself .. so much easier then fussing with the nuts underneath with basin wrench,, Kohler came out with a faucet that makes up from the top with a phillip screwdriver.. But i havnt seen that in a while.. Wonder if they stopped making them.

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
used to think that most plumbers used Moen because with some of their low paid or don't give a crap helplers making the mistake of reversing hot and cold, you could simply reverse the cartridge. For years Delta faucets were not reverseable like that until the new pressure balanced faucets were born. To this day I still do not like Moen roman rough in valves because you have to cut the copper lines to fit to the spout and solder them. With Delta, you just bend the flex line to the spout tee. But the newer Delta faucets I have seen lately suck hind t*t. And for Heavens sake don't use B&K. That crap is next to nothing like Price Phister from Lowes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts