Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
for all the trouble and issue to use an old tank..you can buy a brand new air compressor tank for a few hundred...believe me im cheap SOB..but when it comes to saftey issues, and this is one..I try not to cheap out where it could cost some missing flesh...

But you just showed how even a purpose built air compressor tank can explode.

Why would I buy one of those when a water heater is cheaper?

At one point a number of years ago I somehow ended up with no working compressor or air tank which is kind of ridiculous given how many I've had over the years. So for a while I just used a spare truck wheel as an air tank . ;) Only needed it for refilling the kids bike tires so it was more than adequate. It was rated to 80psi.

Reactions: sparky

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Reactions: sparky

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
But you just showed how even a purpose built air compressor tank can explode.

Why would I buy one of those when a water heater is cheaper?

At one point a number of years ago I somehow ended up with no working compressor or air tank which is kind of ridiculous given how many I've had over the years. So for a while I just used a spare truck wheel as an air tank . ;) Only needed it for refilling the kids bike tires so it was more than adequate. It was rated to 80psi.
go ahead..its your life..ill stick with buying products made for a specific purpose rather than " trying to see" if something else will work.....hey on anything not life threatening im all for innovation...just know the risks....

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
My good friend has a bumper on his jeep with 250psi of nitrogen in it. Uses it for spare air in the woods. Custom built out of steel pipe.
a waste..he would be better off with a 12 volt compressor that will pump endless air...

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
hell, then some either and a match to get them tires seated back on the rims...

That definitely seems more likely to be dangerous than a steel tank exploding from 125psi of air.

Reactions: sparky and Tango

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
A 12v compressor will not deliver enough air volume is what he says. I guess he wants a lot of nitrogen quick.

That and all those 12v compressors are garbage and take forever. I keep at least one in every vehicle but I also have an air tank in the camo van. Just spin the valve off a propane tank and fill it with water. My buddy uses an old party helium can.

To drain any water that might build up just store it upside down and before you use it release some air.

They get hydrotested to like 200psi and the resting pressure of propane is around 120psi at 70f but can easily get to 150psi on a warm day so I have no qualms using one for air.

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
That and all those 12v compressors are garbage and take forever. I keep at least one in every vehicle but I also have an air tank in the camo van. Just spin the valve off a propane tank and fill it with water. My buddy uses an old party helium can.

To drain any water that might build up just store it upside down and before you use it release some air.

They get hydrotested to like 200psi and the resting pressure of propane is around 120psi at 70f but can easily get to 150psi on a warm day so I have no qualms using one for air.

View attachment 127046
maybe your $19.99 cheap schit 12 volt vibrator..but if you crack that moth infested wallet of yours open, there are many high volume 12 volt compresors that will fill a truck tire pretty fast...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Once in my 25 plus years of doing this job have I seen anything explode. We were turning on the water in a house that had been sitting winterized for about two years. When we turned the well power on the 202 extrol tank got to about 50psi and the metal broke at the lowest weld and shot the tank straight up in the air. It was powerful enough to damage the 2x12 floor joist. And send shards of metal like chinese stars clear across the basement and stuck in the foam insulation on the walls. How my helper and I avoided the shrapnel I will never know. But since then I've taken cover when filling a older tank with any signs of age or wear on it.
And I've also tested new pvc installs @ 5 psi for 15 min. For as long as I've been doing the job.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

61 - 77 of 77 Posts