Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,456 Posts
we have to test with air or water. hard to test with water in winter or when there is no water on the job. how many psi was on the pipe when it exploded?
That’s what I’ve been wondering. In the one municipality that requires it, IIRC, and I could be wrong, but I think they want to see 15 psi hold for 15 or 20 minutes.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It used to be a acceptable test in Illinois don't know if it still is.I remember having a test on at 5lb. and hearing a leak on a 2" Cherne plug on a floor drain,reached down to give it another twist and it let loose,never found the test plug it flew so far as it zipped past my head.

There was a Local 130 guy killed a few years back air testing some 5" galv. down in Chicago.

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts
Years ago down in West Palm Beach, FL we air tested 2" copper. I was a young apprentice and I was working with a journeyman plumber. We had roughed-in all the PVC and copper for an electronics store that was being built. I think it was a Best Buy, but I can't remember for certain.

The journeyman had a leak on the overhead 2" copper that was very easy to fix since there was no water in the pipe. I think that he soldered all the piping, I was still green and I don't remember soldering. It's so much easier to repair copper with air in the line for the test as opposed to water. But never, ever, ever test PVC with air.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Years ago down in West Palm Beach, FL we air tested 2" copper. I was a young apprentice and I was working with a journeyman plumber. We had roughed-in all the PVC and copper for an electronics store that was being built. I think it was a Best Buy, but I can't remember for certain.

The journeyman had a leak on the overhead 2" copper that was very easy to fix since there was no water in the pipe. I think that he soldered all the piping, I was still green and I don't remember soldering. It's so much easier to repair copper with air in the line for the test as opposed to water. But never, ever, ever test PVC with air.
We do it all the time and I see a lot of garages and shops with pvc air lines run everywhere

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
We do it all the time and I see a lot of garages and shops with pvc air lines run everywhere
The 5 to 30psi you might use on NEW pvc for 24 hours tops is nothing of a hazard compared to pvc used for airlines for years at 100psi+. I guess 1/2" CTS schedule 80 would be fine but anything other than that I definitely wouldn't use for air lines because IF it did burst it would shatter and send sharp pvc bits everywhere.

The only risk I see with air testing pvc is actually the plugs blowing out like has already been mentioned here.

·
Super Moderator
2,092 Posts
It used to be a acceptable test in Illinois don't know if it still is.I remember having a test on at 5lb. and hearing a leak on a 2" Cherne plug on a floor drain,reached down to give it another twist and it let loose,never found the test plug it flew so far as it zipped past my head.

There was a Local 130 guy killed a few years back air testing some 5" galv. down in Chicago.
Maybe in the Country of Chicago they still use air. Here in Southern Illinois your lucky if a test is required on DWV, water yes. Head test on Fed projects or "if" required. Peppermint oil is still acceptable.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
In the United States OSHA prohibits the use of pvc for pressurized air Safety and Health Information Bulletins | The Use of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Pipe in Above ground Installations | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

It’s very dangerous.

And we prohibit posting without a proper intro.

Reactions: sparky

·
Banned
361 Posts
Then they can ban me. That’s all I’m telling you. That and the fact that I’m a 36 year veteran and I know this trade as good as anyone you’ll ever meet.

What part of my posts are incorrect ? Why do t you think I’m not a plumber ? Why do you think answering your questions will prove I hold a valid plumbing license that I sat for the tests ?

I’m 100% licensed master plumber and if that’s not good enough then close my account.

I was told by a super moderator on my intro thread to jump into any conversation.

Who are you and do you run this board ?

·
Banned
361 Posts
Pvc for air delivery is dangerous for multiple reasons.

Pvc gets brittle as it ages and when it gets cold....

It also is subject to impact which can cause the pipe to shatter.

Bury it or sleeve it......but I personally would just braze some type l copper up and be done.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
.................Who are you and do you run this board ?
I am a service plumber who gets bored and wishes to spend his free time discussing plumbing and occasionally making smart azz comments.

Do I? No more than a child in a class runs his school. No more than the inmates may run the prison.

Yes there are moderators, but without active members do you have a forum? Those of us who participate here have an understanding as to what we like to talk about and how we treat newcomers. We just had to bust your balls a little ;)

Reactions: sparky and Tango

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Maybe in the Country of Chicago they still use air. Here in Southern Illinois your lucky if a test is required on DWV, water yes. Head test on Fed projects or "if" required. Peppermint oil is still acceptable.
How do y’all test with peppermint oil?? I’ve used it to locate a leak before and we poured it in the roof vent with about 5hallons of water behind it

1 - 20 of 77 Posts