Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today...
Returned to a job where a shower trap isn't holding, stinking the basement out.
Three hours to drill out a roughly 36" diameter chunk of concrete in front of the shower to avoid ruining the pan.

another two hours to rip through the clay and rocks under the shower, keeping the hole as small as possible so not to weaken the support for the copper/concrete pan above.

Agonizing with a Torch blade, to realize those things suck until you break the flat of the pipe, they take forever to cut through the side of metal pipe...wound up digging out more to make room for my diamond grinder.

Arms scratched to sh!t, cuts, bruises, sore joints and aching back from twisting and turning to get access to the drain 20 inches into where I'd cut.

this was one of this jobs where you get halfways through and start to panick when you realize how diffcult it is.

Finally home at 10pm, sore, filthy and exhausted.

I feel good, I mean it...finally getting the trap replaced, watching it hold, getting the check and driving home...I don't know if I could do anything else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would feel great driving home too! But only if the check was big enough!:yes: Most HO's I run into would not be able to grasp the difficulty of that, or the care taken to save the pan, etc. nice work. How did you figure cost for that?

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would feel great driving home too! But only if the check was big enough!:yes: Most HO's I run into would not be able to grasp the difficulty of that, or the care taken to save the pan, etc. nice work. How did you figure cost for that?
These are regular customers.
I first met them when the hubby attempted to tackle some of the plumbing and failed miserably, they generally trust me when I explain thengs to them.

New customers are a whole different ball game, 8 out of 10 are usually looking for the cheapest price, of those 2 you really want to build trust because they make a business over time.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Thats right Grumpy. Takes a special breed to be a plumber. I have had such encounters too and wonder why. But on the drive home I realize its because its me!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I cant see myself doing anything else. Like you said Grumpy there isnt anything greater than getting your a:censored: kicked on a job, then finally getting done and being wore out and cut up, leave the job and the customer has a smile on their face, priceless. Good Job Buddy!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Why am I a plumber? Because I am just not cut out to be an electrician. Besides it pays good.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
I must get my validation from fixing problems. Maybe it is a way of making my dad proud? All I know is that since I became a plumber and now a damn good one, my dad and I are tight and have a lot in common. He was in construction and then got his wastewater and water treatment licenses. I just worked at dead-end jobs till I was in my 30's and then fell into plumbing. Now my dad is proud of me and is always bragging about me up at the hardware store or diner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts