Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why is it that the overly careless and stupid are given plumbing licenses?

Why are they allowed to think thay can install a Tankless gas heater two feet above a gas meter? This twat's bid was less than half of mine, and mine was as fair as fair can be. Cost plus 5% and day rate for 1.5 days of work when I know damn well it will take two....

The client is torn, because he knows I know my chit but the double the price is hard for anyone to swallow. These two other retarded plumbing companies asked the HO for the manual so they could read the distances / clearances to tell HO where to put it...and they still fuked it up.

This one pissed me off cause the guys garage is in mint condition and he wants everything burried in wall with stub-outs for water / gas on the exterior stucco wall. The job is to relocate the tankless from where the tanked is now. This is the kind of job I love to do, because it's harder than most. When HO told me some of what these other two guys were telling him, I practically begged him to pull a permit. "Honestly sir, it's for your own safety, protection and the integrity of your home".....

THere is one more guy heading over in the morning...I actually know this guy and sometimes I shoot work his way when I am too busy. I know I am more expensive than him, but not by much so we shall see.

There...I feel a tiny bit better. :wallbash:

edit to add:

Does line H NOT make sense to anybody?

·
Plumbing Contractor
975 Posts
Well I'm not God but....

Here is the sad but truth. Home owners today are trying to pinch pennies and to waive the true craftmanship and quality of a License Plumbing Contractor.

My example yesterday:

Got a call, Water heater not heating up. I go out and the lower and upper element is fried!! The upper element is fused to the water heater. I told the H/O I will attempt to remove the upper if he wants me too but I will not be held responsable if something breaks or we could install you a new water heater tonight! He said to me I'll get back with you later. So I collected my payment and left. He called me last night at 10pm and said his daughter know a guy that can do plumbing to come over and fix it for half the cost!! :eek: I said OK! I know I'm not the most exspensive plumber and thought I was pretty cheap $725.00 50gal electric? That's Not to exspensive, But half the price I can't touch the cost of the heater for that!

Sorry

·
Registered
843 Posts
Heck, I charged over $300 to rebuild a BW 50-gallon yesterday. (New elements, new t-stats, removing about 8 gallons of lime sediment through handhole cleanout.)

$750 would be low for a new heater for me, even with discounts for main level, already drained, easy access, no haul.

It's tough, especially since I want to supply something better than the Billy Buttcracks use. I never go for a cheap heater, and buying one with better insulation saves the customer money as long as the heater lasts.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
I've noticed that even the more "simple" calls are requiring more time to "sell" the job. Costomers are not looking for lower prices, just more value. This is the time to set your self apart from the competion. Increase your warrenties, throw in that first year of maintenence with the tankless for "free" (I hope we all know that "free" meens we've added it into the price already and will not be charging additional for the service) more value, more value more value. there's a 30 day warrenty on a drain cleaning, thats why it cost more sir/ mam." 1 yr., on the faucet rebuild "I'm both proud and confident to stand behind my craftsmenship sir/mam". What ever it takes. We can not lose buisness to the "handy man."
Call the inspector or city to report unlicensed or unpermitted activity. The HO may be mad at you and never call again, but the next licensed guy in will have a shot to make a costomer for life, and the unlicensed guy will be back in my ditch digging for me where he belongs. And as for the licensed guy giving his work away for free. He will get his in the end, and so will the HO when they need service on that tankless heater and need to call you out because the "cheaper" guy can't make it.
YOU OWE IT TO BOTH YOUSELF, YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR COSTOMER TO CHARGE WHAT EVER IT IS THAT YOU DO TO BE ABLE TO BE THERE FOR ALL OF THEM FOR YEARS TO COME.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dumb ass......

Woke up in a foul mood still..pissed off my poor wife to the point of tears all day.

Cell phones got shut off today, not for non payment but because we are on a special discounted rate plan that is not available and they shut down all 9000 of those lines today. Can't port the number over because the line is not currently active....sigh...

Fought with recirculating pump for 6 hours and ran out of sanding cloth under a house. The lady who was house sitting the place I was working in smokes pot inside and didn't even offer me any.....after the day I have had, I almost would have taken her up anyways.

Picked up kids from Ballet and they were pissed at me because mom was pissed at me. I just woke up with half a redbull in my hand as the home phone rang. It was this client letting me know that I got the job, and I was 375 more than the other guy who bid it today. I don't know if God is punishing me or helping me, but someone has got to be getting a great laugh at my life right now.

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
I feel your pain, nhmaster3015. I was on the phone today with creditors threating me. My wife comes home and I am in a bad mood so now her bp is up and says she is dizzy. Oh, well. I made a list of all the things to do tomorrow while sitting at home with no work. The first thing is to go get more beer and play the lottery. :help:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts