Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not understanding why employers drug test. I mean, I get it, if they get some insurance discount, but beyond that it has always seemed like all you are doing is testing for marijuana which I consider slightly more altering than coffee. That is the only drug that stays in your system for months. Every other drug is out of your system in a few hours to a few days at the most. So even if someone is a crack, meth, and heroin user, just give them the weekend and on Monday they will piss clean and pass your pre employment drug screening. Think about that. You are solely testing for the mildest, healthiest drug out there.

The other part of it I don't understand is, why not be more like Martin Luther King Jr. and judge someone by the content of their character. The bottom line is aren't you interested in the most competent and productive employees you can find? Why not just do a 60 day probation like many businesses. If you hire someone and they are not competent simply let them go. You are simply passing up a lot of potential employees for no good reason what so ever, because the person does a hit of marijuana on their own time.

I plan on giving my employees drug tests for marijuana, and guess what if they DON"T test positive, they are out of here! I don't want a bunch of lame wads working for my company.

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
405 Posts
I'm not understanding why employers drug test. I mean, I get it, if they get some insurance discount, but beyond that it has always seemed like all you are doing is testing for marijuana which I consider slightly more altering than coffee. That is the only drug that stays in your system for months. Every other drug is out of your system in a few hours to a few days at the most. So even if someone is a crack, meth, and heroin user, just give them the weekend and on Monday they will piss clean and pass your pre employment drug screening. Think about that. You are solely testing for the mildest, healthiest drug out there.

The other part of it I don't understand is, why not be more like Martin Luther King Jr. and judge someone by the content of their character. The bottom line is aren't you interested in the most competent and productive employees you can find? Why not just do a 60 day probation like many businesses. If you hire someone and they are not competent simply let them go. You are simply passing up a lot of potential employees for no good reason what so ever, because the person does a hit of marijuana on their own time.

I plan on giving my employees drug tests for marijuana, and guess what if they DON"T test positive, they are out of here! I don't want a bunch of lame wads working for my company.
Insurance is part of it. The other part is the same reason fir clean trucks, no tats, and uniforms. It helps with presentation and customer trust.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright,. well why not test for all hard drugs you want to test for like heroin, cocaine, or methamphetamine and do not test for marijuana? You can still advertise that you drug test. The fact of the matter is there are tons of drugs you are not testing for, so why are you including marijuana as a drug you test for? Add to that the irony that it is the only drug your actually testing for, because it's the only one that shows up in your pee sample for extremely long periods of time.

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
405 Posts
Alright,. well why not test for all hard drugs you want to test for like heroin, cocaine, or methamphetamine and do not test for marijuana? You can still advertise that you drug test. The fact of the matter is there are tons of drugs you are not testing for, so why are you including marijuana as a drug you test for? Add to that the irony that it is the only drug your actually testing for, because it's the only one that shows up in your pee sample for extremely long periods of time.
I'd place marijuana more on par with alcohol as far as effects. Plain fact of the matter is I'd personally rather not work with an addict of any kind.

I've known several folks that partake of marijuana, and all of them save one couldn't keep a steady job. Not because of drug testing, but because they were more likely to be late, call in, or underperform because of their habit.

You do you, but industry standards exist for a reason. Ask a lawyer what happens immediately after any workplace accident. They drug and alcohol test everyone involved.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
If someone is acting in such a way that you think they might be on drugs, drop them like a sack of rocks and find someone else.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
It’s all bullish!t, when I worked for a company they flew us to some Nexstar sales convention. I was talking to a guy from another company and he said we’re all drug and background checked. Later he said he had a felony on his record. I said wait a second, I thought you guys are all background checked. He said yes, the owner knows I have a felony but he hired me anyway. Homeowners hear drug and background check and feel safe but don’t know they actually have a convicted felon in their house.

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,326 Posts
If someone is acting in such a way that you think they might be on drugs, drop them like a sack of rocks and find someone else.

Pot is not the only drug you have to worry about...pot is nothing...
. Lots of These clowns are smoking a crack pipe and maybe doing meth or even
acid on the side or at work.... who really knows for sure... no one is gonna tell you

If you let these clowns take a truck home and they kill someone while intoxicated in your truck you will lose everything
you have and probably get sued for lots more.....and the druggie will just laugh about it..

I had a few guys that were with me for years and all of a sudden you could see a dark change in them and things got
very ugly from that point onward... I was lucky they never killed anyone and I got rid of them once I got wind of what
was going on...

The lesson I learned is ......
Employees will not rat on one another even if they have to drive around in a plumbing truck with someone who
is high as a kite while driving 90 on the interstate..... Its a strange thing that even though their lives might be at risk they will not
complain to the boss and would rather risk death than snitch on some idiot work buddy .....

It is very wise to drug test everyone and even have a couple of test kits hanging right out in the open in the office for
everyone to see... You dont have eyes in the back of your head, and you cant depend on anyone to warn you about things like this .

·
Registered
plumber
5 Posts
I could care less what people do on their own time, I smoke and have for years. There have been people I have worked with completely sober that couldn't figure out a screwdriver. I have been too hung over to be worth a schit on multiple occasions. I don't smoke at work because I have too many things going on at one time to even want to, but I have worked with multiple guys that high are great plumbers. Once someone starts stealing and doing questionable crap strings cut and gone. To me it is no different than alcohol (personally Im not good with alcohol).

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,326 Posts
I could care less what people do on their own time, I smoke and have for years. There have been people I have worked with completely sober that couldn't figure out a screwdriver. I have been too hung over to be worth a schit on multiple occasions. I don't smoke at work because I have too many things going on at one time to even want to, but I have worked with multiple guys that high are great plumbers. Once someone starts stealing and doing questionable crap strings cut and gone. To me it is no different than alcohol (personally Im not good with alcohol).
I had an alcoholic plumber one time drop a 24 inch rigid pipe wrench in my face from the top of a ladder and just stare at me...
I could not understand why they had this guy even working for them but realized they just needed a body on the job
the wrench missed me only because I was fast on my feet...

later that month they fired him for roughing in a battery of urinals about 6 inches off the ground ... they looked like they were for
some kind of childs bathroom..... the moron even went back and did the finish work installing the urinals and having
to extend down the flushometers tubing to reach the spuds .... it was an abortion....

They fired him and came back and tore out the whole mess and installed it all to the right heights..
.He did a few other things that were caught in time before another disaster.

I actually blame the owners of the company for not supervising their projects better....and drug testing people

.and letting this idiot run free like this...

·
I Married Up
16,932 Posts
I'm not understanding why employers drug test…
No sense retyping what’s already out there from the professionals that know the facts. This will lead you to a better understanding:

…and you will find wise counsel like this:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know I have to go without the devils lettuce for weeks and like currently months at a time. The company I work for is not that interested in what you do on your time, so if they need to give you a drug test for insurance purposes they give you about 3-4 weeks heads up.
Some jobs though have the looming threat of the pee truck. And if you get hurt and test positive in the hospital the company’s insurance has grounds to fight you for coverage and workman’s comp.
For me it’s a balance of doing what I want to vs providing for my family.
Can definitely understand why companies drug test, but until the reefers are no longer a Schedule I drug it’s a dance that some people are willing to risk.

as a side note if it’s not a discussion you want to be involved in and doesn’t have one factual answer… why present the let me google it for you stance?

·
I Married Up
16,932 Posts
…as a side note if it’s not a discussion you want to be involved in and doesn’t have one factual answer… why present the let me google it for you stance?
It is context related with the OP, not an unwillingness to discuss.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
as a side note if it’s not a discussion you want to be involved in and doesn’t have one factual answer… why present the let me google it for you stance?
[/QUOTE]

I don't understand what you are asking here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would still have the same questions in my original post even if I saw your link. That link is not addressing my questions.

Plumbiz: You can just not respond or simply don't read my threads if everything makes you angry. You are never responding to any of the points I actually make in my posts. It's like your reading about one of every ten words in my posts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I understand there is an advantage by the employer regarding insurance. I specifically wrote that in my initial post.

What I went on to point out was something I assumed the majority of folks who drug test are unaware of and that is the lengths of time various drugs stay in the human body. I was hoping for others thoughts on that. No one addressed that specific point.

Then I went on to point out why not simply not test for that specific drug marijuana? I was hoping for thoughts on that. No one addressed that specific point.

Finally I pointed out that you are passing up good workers by these marijuana tests, and why not just judge the individual as a worker instead of basing it on wither their pee test is positive for MJ.
For instance what if you most productive employee gets popped with a random marijuana drug test? Is it really in your best interest to get rid of him?

Those were the 3 questions/points I was asking in the post. The links you sent did not address any of these 3 questions. Even if I did google the issue and I found an article where all three of my questions were addressed, that's just one guy on the internet's opinion and it could be years old. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask other business owners why they do what they do.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts

I would still have the same questions in my original post even if I saw your link. That link is not addressing my questions.

Plumbiz: You can just not respond or simply don't read my threads if everything makes you angry. You are never responding to any of the points I actually make in my posts. It's like your reading about one of every ten words in my posts.

We might be more inclined to fully read and respond if you hadn't posted a giant block of text. Brevity is a virtue. You might be a little long winded if you're referencing Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on a plumbing forum.

Proper formatting helps too.

·
I Married Up
16,932 Posts
Plumbiz: I realize I can google anything...
You're all geared up to start being an employer and you don't know why employers perform drug tests?!?! Seriously?!?! You posed the question in a multi-national forum of mostly anonymous persons operating under different laws, cultures, and all having different personal prejudices. Even if you get serious replies here, they won't be relevant to your situation. Besides, you've already stated in no uncertain terms what you're going to do with your no-tolerance MJ policy.

Regarding the link I posted in my reply, you should have read the article before getting all pissy about not getting the answers you wanted. The source is what many consider to be the premier Human Resource knowledge base available to small business owners. They offer legal insight based on industry type, and location. I literally spoon fed you one of the most important organizations for you to partner with as an employer, and all you did was complain.

Honestly Matt, you come across like you couldn't give a ratz azz what anyone says if it happens to challenge your version of conventional wisdom. To be clear, I'm challenging your line of reasoning and lack of experience, I'm not challenging you.

Sincerest apologies for you somehow construing that I was angry. I will leave you with this one additional bit of advice. As a future business owner, you will need to embrace challenges to your way of thinking. You would also do well to realize they are seldom born out of any emotion, much less anger.

I'll show myself out, since I don't have anything else constructive to offer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts