Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Fine. You always have to be so literal.
I was continuing on what you started. People don't realize how many different grades there are, and that you can't actually expect most of them to never rust. I mentioned the magnetic issue because it's another example of most people's ignorance about stainless steels.

Did you think I was criticizing you?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@sparky

Are there any issues in the building? Do you have these same valves in the building as well?

What is the distance from these valves to the main water line under the street?

You said there are multiple valves in this pit, do they all see roughly the same amount of flow? Do they all corrode at the same rate or does it seem to line up with the amount of flow they see?

How are they piped in this pit?
There are two valves per meter box,each valve shuts one apt off and is the main shut off for the apt,the only valves inside are solder valves at the water heater and some are the proflo brand but haven't had any trouble out of anything except these threaded ball valves outside in the ground,the complex runs around in a U shape and the city water is 3-4 ft away from my valves,there is only one 2" master meter for entire complex and it is over 100psi in pressure,what gets me is the old gate valves where there for over20yrs and no issues other than being stuck open from lack of use,and yes the valves I installed all see about the same amount of flow,this apt complex is for 65 and older or have disability so 2-3 people at most in each apt

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
..........city water is 3-4 ft away from my valves,there is only one 2" master meter for entire complex and it is over 100psi in pressure,what gets me is the old gate valves where there for over20yrs and no issues ........
I wonder if there is some sort of turbulence being caused even when water is not directly running through these valves due to it's proximity to the main. As the city water rushes by that tee it will create slight pressure changes and thus movement in that leg. I doubt this would be a substantial effect and would surely have happened elsewhere.

Guess we'll know in 3-6 months if that stainless valve fails. Must be a beach to change those valves eh? You have to shut everyone's water off in the complex?

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
948 Posts
Im kinda thinking that the brass maybe acting as a anode and being eaten away due to electron flow in water and soil conditions. keep your valves out of the dirt if possible.. Did the old gate valves have pex going to them as well?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I wonder if there is some sort of turbulence being caused even when water is not directly running through these valves due to it's proximity to the main. As the city water rushes by that tee it will create slight pressure changes and thus movement in that leg. I doubt this would be a substantial effect and would surely have happened elsewhere.

Guess we'll know in 3-6 months if that stainless valve fails. Must be a beach to change those valves eh? You have to shut everyone's water off in the complex?
Yes you have to shut entire complex down to change one valve,I have shut it off in the middle of peoples showers lolololo,oh well sorry

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Im kinda thinking that the brass maybe acting as a anode and being eaten away due to electron flow in water and soil conditions. keep your valves out of the dirt if possible.. Did the old gate valves have pex going to them as well?
No the old valves had pvc from city side and then copper from apt side

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Anyone ever tried putting an ammeter on a pipe with water flowing under pressure? And I for one can appreciate 'literal'. Like the first time my mother told me a mom joke. She thought I was old enough (right around 40 at the time). I didn't get it😱

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,095 Posts
No the old valves had pvc from city side and then copper from apt side
Perform a basic water test for the dissolved solids and PH

-Is it always the same brand of valve?
-Does it happen to lead free brass fittings and not the older ones with more lead?
-Is the water heater electric,
-if so has it had any issues recently?
-Is it properly grounded?
-Is the anode rod good?
-Does it have dielectric unions?
-Is there any water treatment equipment such as a softener or neutralizer?
-Any rough looking electrical items?
-When you touch the pipes with wet hands do you feel closer to God? Haha

How is the home grounded?? if you have PVC coming into the house then it
jumps to copper you will have grounding issues.... Around here they use black
crestline pvc pipe in huge rolls ... Over time the copper fittings begin to get pits in them
within a few inches of the connection to the poly pipe in the crawl spaces...

We have driven ground rods into the ground in the crawl spaces and grounded the copper line to
the rod in an attempt to prevent this from happenning... and it happens a lot....

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Perform a basic water test for the dissolved solids and PH

-Is it always the same brand of valve?
-Does it happen to lead free brass fittings and not the older ones with more lead?
-Is the water heater electric,
-if so has it had any issues recently?
-Is it properly grounded?
-Is the anode rod good?
-Does it have dielectric unions?
-Is there any water treatment equipment such as a softener or neutralizer?
-Any rough looking electrical items?
-When you touch the pipes with wet hands do you feel closer to God? Haha

How is the home grounded?? if you have PVC coming into the house then it
jumps to copper you will have grounding issues.... Around here they use black
crestline pvc pipe in huge rolls ... Over time the copper fittings begin to get pits in them
within a few inches of the connection to the poly pipe in the crawl spaces...

We have driven ground rods into the ground in the crawl spaces and grounded the copper line to
the rod in an attempt to prevent this from happenning... and it happens a lot....

Why wouldn't it have done it on the old brass gate valves if it's a grounding issue???

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Why wouldn't it have done it on the old brass gate valves if it's a grounding issue???
Different brass alloys handle things like electrical or water quality issues differently. My guess is it's not an electrical issue but actually a corrosion or erosion issue.

Electrical issues can look like corrosion issues and vice versa. I would try like Mark suggested and add a grounding rod with copper strap to the valve/pipe if you have another issue. Take a 1" wide strip of copper sheet metal, bend it around the pipe, drill a 1/4" hole and put a nut/bolt through. Use a brass, copper, or stainless nut/bolt.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Different brass alloys handle things like electrical or water quality issues differently. My guess is it's not an electrical issue but actually a corrosion or erosion issue.
Also, the soil's been disturbed since the gate valves were put in. The chemistry may have changed.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
8,095 Posts
skoronesa said:
Also, the soil's been disturbed since the gate valves were put in. The chemistry may have changed.

I never believe that has anything to do with this problem

Now Sparkey, you never know
their might be a bunch of dogs pissing on the ground outside that house
right on where the water line comes into the place....
and that piss is leaching down into the soil and changing the ph in the ground..

my 2dogs are doing about the same thing in our front yard.....
dog piss and dog crap is mean stuff.....

Plant Building Tree Branch Grass

·
Registered
Master Plumber
45 Posts
skoronesa said:

Now Sparkey, you never know
their might be a bunch of dogs pissing on the ground outside that house
right on where the water line comes into the place....
and that piss is leaching down into the soil and changing the ph in the ground..

my 2dogs are doing about the same thing in our front yard.....
dog piss and dog crap is mean stuff.....

View attachment 131043
Laser focused on that damn squirrel! I like it!

·
8,095 Posts
Dude, take a little weight off those dogs, please. I'm telling you, it will shorten their lifespans.
Tell my wife to stop feeding them..... actually the one close to the tree is 11 years old
and the other one is 7.... he is sort of chubby, he even chows down on sticks

Water Plant Dog Vertebrate Tree
Dog Carnivore Wood Dog breed Working animal

21 - 40 of 40 Posts