Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the video and still didn't learn. This would have been so much easier if I just did the whole thing with sharkbites. Will I ever learn?

Paul

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
National Standard Plumbing Code

10.5.12, Hose connections. Exception (1).

Water heater and boiler drain valves that are provided with hose connection threads that are intended only for tank or vessel draining shall not be required to be equipped with a backflow preventer.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Why put unions on it? To make it easier for the handyhack? Screw that. Unions leak, anyway.

I would have maybe put a bypass on it. And maybe used a c x f x c tee at the drain. (female down)

Looks good, anyhoo.

·
The Pipe Whisperer
393 Posts
National Standard Plumbing Code

10.5.12, Hose connections. Exception (1).

Water heater and boiler drain valves that are provided with hose connection threads that are intended only for tank or vessel draining shall not be required to be equipped with a backflow preventer.
looks good but it needs a vacuum breaker. how can it be a drain when it is above the tank

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I am interpreting it that the boiler drain was installed to relieve the pressure in the filter housing, when changing the filter.

Way better than that stupid button on the top of the housing.

Reactions: rocksteady

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bib is only for bleeding pressure off. I would think that would fall into the "drain" category even though it's above the canister. I don't like the filter heads that have the pressure relief button built in, they always seem to leak.

Paul

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
We don't have boilers out here. It's just a softener and a filter cartridge folks.....Good job on staying full port. That's a total pet peeve of mine. And just to let you all know, if this is a new build or remod, that electrical rec would be GFI protected. It's required on all rec's in the garage. Based on where the ball valves are I would assume the hose bib is there to just relieve pressure for the cartridge change. They make hose bibs that look exactly like that but have a built in VB. I believe there is some langauge about a service bib versus a bib for the home owner to use for whatever. I put in bleeder bibs in all the time w/o a VB, because it's clear what the intent is for.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He might but I told him what it was for; relieving pressure only. He has a hose bib on the outside of that wall, with a vacuum breaker and a hose attached all the time. If I were to bet, I'd say that's what he'd wash his car with.

Paul

·
Registered
68 Posts
looks good bro, im sure you were going to put that vb on the hose bibb tomorrow, also rub some Brasso on it it makes a big difference on the appearance of the copper

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
looks good bro, im sure you were going to put that vb on the hose bibb tomorrow, also rub some Brasso on it it makes a big difference on the appearance of the copper

LOL, I have 1" that's a little less than brand new too! Helps keep the supply house statement lower at the end of the month.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Nice clean work there:thumbup: i would of liked to see unions on that filter housing and pressure gauges on inlet and outlet of housing by thats just me . Putting on a VB defeats the purpose of that low point drain imo with the pressure negitive you will have to hold the disc open manually to get water to drain...

just curious what brand of lead free sweat valve is that?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts