Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
plumber water heater installation 40 gal gas $500.00

Do tell...and this is legitimate, huh?

No license # listed, which C-list supposedly requires.

I bet this is somebodies apprentice that's stealing tanks outta the shop, or a box store employee pulling them out the back door.
I posted one yesterday the license area said pending WTF??? is pending worse his ad said clean any drain for 49.99. I wouldn't get out of bed for that.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
If you read the ad carefully it says 40 gal gas wh and then under that it says "price includes" with a list under that. I think this is just a carefully worded ad to make people think that the wh is included but is not. Still $500 is low imo for that install. I'm sure it's going to be connected with pex and sharkbites and if there are any code upgrades necessary, which of course there will be, it will end up costing $1000 or more plus the tank, as it should. Just my guess though.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I hope CL gains more popularity. That way the scum sucking bottom feeders will know where to shop and won't waste our time.
I agree! There are some customers that you do not want...
When I get sent to a call and the customer wants an estimate for comparison against a Claigslist ad, or, a big box store installation....

What the %&#@ did they call me for?

I don't give them a price!
I just say call me when you want their work repaired!
It will cost you more than if I do the work correctly right now!
Have a nice day BUB BYE!

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
I think all areas are different. I've had really good success with CL. Most of my customers are middle to upper class, not the stereotypical person who you think looks at CL. We do have our hacks on there as well:

I have been installing hot water heaters for the past 8 years. You purchase the water heater, I will pick it up at the store, install at your home and haul away the old water heater. I charge $150 for all of the above (less than what you will pay at one of the stores). Bonded, Licensed and Insured. I offer a very quick turn around time!!!

I deleted the guy's name and phone number but if people want to deal with this guy, I'm happy for them and I hope it works out.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
My guess is there are a lot of plumbers using CL to buy and sell tools so you have to take the good with the bad sometimes. I fault the States as well as I am sure it is well documented CL is full of unlicensed contractors. They need to make it illegal for places like CL to promote these guys. They could assign a guy full time to CL and make money off of the fines.

Mark

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Start paying the governing officials/inspectors a commision to bust them. Craigs list will be empty in an hour.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My guess is there are a lot of plumbers using CL to buy and sell tools so you have to take the good with the bad sometimes. I fault the States as well as I am sure it is well documented CL is full of unlicensed contractors. They need to make it illegal for places like CL to promote these guys. They could assign a guy full time to CL and make money off of the fines.

Mark
Not sure what you meant by this...
If I bought a tool advertized on C-list I should accept illegal or unlicensed work advertized there as well?

·
4,710 Posts
Not sure what you meant by this...
If I bought a tool advertized on C-list I should accept illegal or unlicensed work advertized there as well?
An open market place is an easy place to buy and sell merchandise and/ or services but because it is an open market place anyone can buy or sell there. By supporting the legal activities of the list you are also supporting the illegal activities. It's a bit of a double edged sword but anyone who does not believe Craig's List is full of scumbags needs to rethink who they are supporting. That's one of the reasons why I don't buy from pawn shops but I do look for my stolen tools there.

Mark

·
Banned
913 Posts
$49.00 Drain cleaning. Yes it can be done!

From a marketing standpoint, this makes a lot of sense. Every customer costs something to get. Example, add up all of your marketing expenses for a year and divide it by the number of new customers you got as a result. The number will surprise you! It's very close to the $50.00 range.

I believe the catch is to get your foot in the door. Do the $49.00 drain cleaning, then offer to look at all of their plumbing. You are certain to find something that needs repair. Even if you don't find anything, HO will call you for their plumbing because they are under the impression you are cheap / affordable.

We don't do this (FEAR), but many have and have been very successful doing it.

It may very well be a hack or it could be a very smart marketing ploy.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
$49.00 Drain cleaning. Yes it can be done!

From a marketing standpoint, this makes a lot of sense. Every customer costs something to get. Example, add up all of your marketing expenses for a year and divide it by the number of new customers you got as a result. The number will surprise you! It's very close to the $50.00 range.

I believe the catch is to get your foot in the door. Do the $49.00 drain cleaning, then offer to look at all of their plumbing. You are certain to find something that needs repair. Even if you don't find anything, HO will call you for their plumbing because they are under the impression you are cheap / affordable.

We don't do this (FEAR), but many have and have been very successful doing it.

It may very well be a hack or it could be a very smart marketing ploy.
There are alot of very smart marketing tactics. But come on??? 49.99 drain cleaning, My ultimate point to posting about this particular CL plumber was he also put "pending" on is lic info. I have seen brilliant marketing tactics, such as "free plumbing inspections" with service calls etc... I do agree with you about the marketing behind, no doubt, but there are dignified ways of smart marketing. When I see the Craigs List girls offering a 49.99 special it may start to make sense.

·
4,710 Posts
There are alot of very smart marketing tactics. But come on??? 49.99 drain cleaning, My ultimate point to posting about this particular CL plumber was he also put "pending" on is lic info. I have seen brilliant marketing tactics, such as "free plumbing inspections" with service calls etc... I do agree with you about the marketing behind, no doubt, but there are dignified ways of smart marketing. When I see the Craigs List girls offering a 49.99 special it may start to make sense.
There are a lot of guys spending $1,000 per month on a Yellow Page ad which gets them 20-service calls per month. When you break it down those guys are paying $50.00 per service call. How is that different than doing drain cleanings for $50 less than normal to get in the door? It is different because you are stuck with the ad for a year and you can change the deal anytime you want.

PCPlumber on another site claims to get $10,000 drain replumbs from $49 drain cleanings all of the time. While it is not something I would ever do if it works for him more power to him.

Mark

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I do agree with you, my point is not to discredit PlumbCrazy's input. In fact the contrary, I think the concept behind the idea is brilliant, Further her breakdown of it is excellent. At the same time I hold strong I think there exist tactics that are everybit as effective. I personally feel that $49 to take expensive equiptment and do skilled work, to me, is a slap in my industries face. I have given this particular debate a great deal of thought over the years. I will start another thread and give a more details on some ideas I have been toying with for input. I do not want to steer away the fact that craigs list is a breeding ground for hacks.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Bill - From a professional standpoint, I agree. It devalues the service in the customer's opinion of our trade! Short term benefit of increased sales vs. long term damage to a profession that is already struggling.

IMO - Craigs List is a breeding ground for hacks! Just stay off the list and keep your blood pressure down. That's why I try to stay away from DIY'er forums where professional plumbers give info. away freely. Keeps me sane and happy. Ignorance can be bliss!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Bill - From a professional standpoint, I agree. It devalues the service in the customer's opinion of our trade! Short term benefit of increased sales vs. long term damage to a profession that is already struggling.

IMO - Craigs List is a breeding ground for hacks! Just stay off the list and keep your blood pressure down. That's why I try to stay away from DIY'er forums where professional plumbers give info. away freely. Keeps me sane and happy. Ignorance can be bliss!
Amen- I am in the process of a new marketing tactics thread. I will look forward to your input, as I need input from all right now.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts