Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as i was searching through many many trades, i found that plumbing (the trade i happened to choose to pursue aswell) is pretty much the highest paying trade, or one of the highest, im wondering why that is

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Average annual salary for all plumbers is a bit over 44,000 a year. That doesn't seem like a whole lot to me.

However in answer to your question it would be because plumbing is not a trade. Never call it a trade. It is a profession. Carpenters, masons , electricians have a trade. We have a profession.

WE ARE PROFESSIONALS

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
electricians, masons, welders, etc are also professionals, i dont see why u think plumbers are moreprofessional than them, plumbing is just another trade among many

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
electricians, masons, welders, etc are also professionals, i dont see why u think plumbers are moreprofessional than them, plumbing is just another trade among many
Look it up. All them other guys are not responsible for protecting the health and safety of the nation.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look it up. All them other guys are not responsible for protecting the health and safety of the nation.:thumbsup:
doesnt really make much sence actually, if electricians fail, the house could burn down, if welders fail something could colapse and kill someone, etc.. most trades take into consideration health and safety

and doctors work is much harder than any of these trades, why they get paid so much, lots of thinking, lots of schooling.. 1 year of med school is probably equiv to 5 years apprenticeship and schooling for plumbing..

but my question still aint been answered, why is the plumbers wage so high compared to welders, sheet metal workers, etc..

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
How much do you think plumbers make? A good plumber will top out around $26/hr plus his insurance, three weeks of vacation (after 10 years at the same company) and a week of sick time. A union journeyman in the Local 1 can make around $45/hr plus insurance and a retirement program. I don't know what they get for vacation but I bet it's not too shabby. They are probably among the highest paid plumbers in the country.

Those plumbers spend about $650 a month between commuting or higher priced city apartments, union dues and NYC personal income tax. They still are better paid then their non-union counterparts.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We do work that no others would want to, that should give you the answer.

Reactions: Airgap

·
Registered
57 Posts
The fall or the Roman empire was largely due to lead poisoning, the Romans used lead pipes to convey water, they had the most sophisticated plumbing system of the time. The word plumber derived from the word plummero, meaning a worker in lead, hence the saying"The plumber protects the health and safety of the nation" comes from. Imagine the burden placed upon our shoulders as plumbers.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Very few will crawl into a poop to fix a broken pipe.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Very few will crawl into a poop to fix a broken pipe.
I wouldn't say that. A lot of them around here basically live in poop.
Went to one house locally where the toilet didn't work. You know what they did? They were pooing in pieces of newspaper and stacking it next to the toilet. They couldn't even be bothered to throw it out, their was just a mountain of it next to the toilet.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I thought Duckky would've moved on to investigating computer repair by now.

Duckky, one other thing. Plumbers don't clock in and out. We are paid by ticket time or commission.

Ticket time is how many hours you actually billed a customer is what you get paid. Work 2 hours in a 8 hour day and that's all you get paid----2 hours.

Commission is a percentage of the invoice's subtotal less certain charges. Sometimes there's a combination of hourly and commisssion.

The above is why owners should be nice to their plumbers. I've quit shops when it got slow because I could not tolerant the owners' behavior and the poor pay wasn't worth dealing with the jerks.

Of course, if you get a job with a government agency, they're by the time clock. Those jobs are rare and usually boring as hell.

Reactions: duckky

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Went to one house locally where the toilet didn't work. You know what they did? They were pooing in pieces of newspaper and stacking it next to the toilet. They couldn't even be bothered to throw it out, their was just a mountain of it next to the toilet.

Now that I would have walked away from, and if there were children in the home, I would have called the health dept on them.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Now that I would have walked away from, and if there were children in the home, I would have called the health dept on them.
We walked away. As for the health department their was no point. Their was an entire neighborhood like that, just a hell hole in general. No one wanted to do anything about it for years because every time someone did all the advocacy groups started crying racism and how it wasn't fair to evict them because it was the only way they could afford to live. They did finally shut most of the places down. All the illegals wound up getting a free stay in nicer apartments.

Sorry but when one guy sublets his two bedroom apartment to three families people should be going to jail not handed freebies because of the color of their skin.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We do work that no others would want to, that should give you the answer.
like what? because compared to other trades plumbers make 2x the money, which i aint complaining bout since im gonna be a plumber lol, but i was just wondering about the facts, theres gotta be some reason, they didnt just pay plumbers much more cuz they felt like it

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ewwww dirty primates..

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
like what? because compared to other trades plumbers make 2x the money, which i aint complaining bout since im gonna be a plumber lol, but i was just wondering about the facts, theres gotta be some reason, they didnt just pay plumbers much more cuz they felt like it
I thought Duckky would've moved on to investigating computer repair by now.

Duckky, one other thing. Plumbers don't clock in and out. We are paid by ticket time or commission.

Ticket time is how many hours you actually billed a customer is what you get paid. Work 2 hours in a 8 hour day and that's all you get paid----2 hours.

Commission is a percentage of the invoice's subtotal less certain charges. Sometimes there's a combination of hourly and commisssion.

The above is why owners should be nice to their plumbers. I've quit shops when it got slow because I could not tolerant the owners' behavior and the poor pay wasn't worth dealing with the jerks.

Of course, if you get a job with a government agency, they're by the time clock. Those jobs are rare and usually boring as hell.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts