Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many people complain about the price of say a Hilti Hammer Drill compared to it's competition, say Bosch who I think is a strong competitor to them in the hammer drill market. If you talk to many guys who own Hilti's they swear by them, but then you talk to some guys who have owned others who have used Hilti's who can't tell the difference.

Many say that the price of your average Hilti hammer drill is about twice the competition's price for equivilent models. So I'm curious for those of you who swear byyour Hilti's, if you can please justify this price difference. What EXACTLY do you get with the significant price difference between a Hilti and say a Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch, etc.
What big and/or little things justify this price? Aesthetic? Performance? durability? quality? where it's made? Perhaps it's a combination of a bunch of little things that add up? Is it the service?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I only buy Hilti power tools, unless it is a tool they don't make like RA drills, for several reasons, one of them is durability, I have seen Hilti drills that have seen everyday use for 20 years and work just fine. There is also the way they stand behind the product well after the warranty is gone, for most of their products they have a 1/3 repair/replacement offer, you pay 1/3 of the cost of the replacement tool and if they can't fix yours you get a new one, they replaced my line laser when the apprentice knocked it down a staircase as opposed to repairing it because they thought it better not to chance the repair. If you are lucky enough to have a Hilti center nearby they will also pick up tools at your shop for repair, and drop off a loaner of the tool at the same time, and for last minute things I have had my rep deliver fasteners or whatnot to our shop at 6 AM so they could go out to the jobsite that day.

We buy all of our anchors, strut, and consumables like sawzall blades and grinding wheels from Hilti as well, all orders are shipped UPS for free.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have used I think every bosch out there for 1/4" to 1 1/2" and couldn't get one from the shop one day for a 1 1/2" w/s through foundation went to the HD and rented a Hilti for $45 te56 and damm I will not look back the machine felt good, solid, grohe ladylux to delta 100 difference. and like butter through concrete faster and easier than any drill I've used. I bought a new Hilti 56.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I only buy Hilti power tools, unless it is a tool they don't make like RA drills, for several reasons, one of them is durability, I have seen Hilti drills that have seen everyday use for 20 years and work just fine. There is also the way they stand behind the product well after the warranty is gone, for most of their products they have a 1/3 repair/replacement offer, you pay 1/3 of the cost of the replacement tool and if they can't fix yours you get a new one, they replaced my line laser when the apprentice knocked it down a staircase as opposed to repairing it because they thought it better not to chance the repair. If you are lucky enough to have a Hilti center nearby they will also pick up tools at your shop for repair, and drop off a loaner of the tool at the same time, and for last minute things I have had my rep deliver fasteners or whatnot to our shop at 6 AM so they could go out to the jobsite that day.

We buy all of our anchors, strut, and consumables like sawzall blades and grinding wheels from Hilti as well, all orders are shipped UPS for free.

What he said. I agree 100%. Thats why Hilti is better. By the way, those hilti conderblock zapstrap fasterners are freakin genius.

J.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hilti has a great tool, no doubt about that. I own a TE-16 a TE-76, a Powder driven driver (Hilti Shot) and a couple of reciprocating saws.

Now as far as their hammer dills and shot tools, second to none. Something in the internal mechanics makes a really powerful hammer action with very limited vibration causing far less fatigue that a Bosch or Kango.

I've used other tools made by Hilti and while they're a great tool, I prefer other brands. I mentioned that I own a Hilti Recip saw. Great balance but a little bulky.

They can get pricy, but the hammer drill style tools are worth every penny. The other tools, I really can't see the benefit.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Hilti has a great tool, no doubt about that. I own a TE-16 a TE-76, a Powder driven driver (Hilti Shot) and a couple of reciprocating saws.

Now as far as their hammer dills and shot tools, second to none. Something in the internal mechanics makes a really powerful hammer action with very limited vibration causing far less fatigue that a Bosch or Kango.

I've used other tools made by Hilti and while they're a great tool, I prefer other brands. I mentioned that I own a Hilti Recip saw. Great balance but a little bulky.

They can get pricy, but the hammer drill style tools are worth every penny. The other tools, I really can't see the benefit.
I agree with this post 100%.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Between my company and my brothers, we have 5 bosch roto hammers. Not a single one has broken in 10 years with the exception of brush replacements. The hiltis do cost twice as much as bosch. They may be twice as good (I have no way to verify this as my boschs have yet to break) but at some point you have to ask yourself how much you are willing to pay for a tool no matter how long it will last.

If I was to try to sell you a tool that was guaranteed to last 4 times longer than a hilti at 4 times the price would you buy it? I feel that at the prices hilti is charging you will most likely come out behind because chances are the tool will get lost or stolen.

Heck, I've got are harbor freight jack hammer that is now more than 3 years old. Based on that, does anyone want to extrapolate how long the bosch and then hilti is going to last?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Between my company and my brothers, we have 5 bosch roto hammers. Not a single one has broken in 10 years with the exception of brush replacements. The hiltis do cost twice as much as bosch. They may be twice as good (I have no way to verify this as my boschs have yet to break) but at some point you have to ask yourself how much you are willing to pay for a tool no matter how long it will last.

If I was to try to sell you a tool that was guaranteed to last 4 times longer than a hilti at 4 times the price would you buy it? I feel that at the prices hilti is charging you will most likely come out behind because chances are the tool will get lost or stolen.

Heck, I've got are harbor freight jack hammer that is now more than 3 years old. Based on that, does anyone want to extrapolate how long the bosch and then hilti is going to last?
So you criticize something you have never even used?

Where do you get your infinate wisdom from?

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I didn't criticize the tool, I criticized the price.

We are talking about hammers here. Unless the hilti has robotic arms that come out and rub my back and serve me a smoothie while I operate it I just don't see how much difference there can be other than longevity.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Extrapolation is to take current data and project what will happen into the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrapolation

Example: If a bosch is twice as good as a harbor freight, and a hilti is twice as good as a bosch, and a harbor freight lasts 4 years.......then by extrapolation we can say that the hilti will last 16 years.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I'd like someone to extrapolate how long it's going to take Para's cat to get all the paper off that roll.:blink:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Look killer, I know you and I tend to disagree on allot of things but just try and hear me out ok.

I went with Bosch because it seems to me that Bosch provides the most value per dollar. I haven't used a Hilti on a job site, but I have picked up a few during supply house demos and trade shows and I was unimpressed. My reaction is my opinion only so let’s look at the specs tool for tool.

I usually use a Bosch 11263EVS, and as far as I can tell the Hili TE 70-ATC is about the equivalent model based on performance numbers.

Let's take a look at the specs for the two hammers:

The Bosch

The Hilti

The Bosch has a drilling impact energy of 9.6ft/lbs at 2800bpm and 280rpm.

The Hilti has a drilling impact energy of only 8.15ft/lbs at 2760bpm and 360rpm.

This data seems to back up the gut feeling I had at the trade show. If the Bosch is just as powerful (possibly more so) than the Hilti, than what is so great about it? Then you bring cost into the equation and the Hilti is just not competitive all things considered. Will the Hilti out last the Bosch? People on this forum seem to think so, but who really knows. Has any one done lab bench tests between the two to see which really outlasts the other?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Look killer, I know you and I tend to disagree on allot of things but just try and hear me out ok.

I went with Bosch because it seems to me that Bosch provides the most value per dollar. I haven't used a Hilti on a job site, but I have picked up a few during supply house demos and trade shows and I was unimpressed. My reaction is my opinion only so let’s look at the specs tool for tool.

I usually use a Bosch 11263EVS, and as far as I can tell the Hili TE 70-ATC is about the equivalent model based on performance numbers.

Let's take a look at the specs for the two hammers:

The Bosch

The Hilti

The Bosch has a drilling impact energy of 9.6ft/lbs at 2800bpm and 280rpm.

The Hilti has a drilling impact energy of only 8.15ft/lbs at 2760bpm and 360rpm.

This data seems to back up the gut feeling I had at the trade show. If the Bosch is just as powerful (possibly more so) than the Hilti, than what is so great about it? Then you bring cost into the equation and the Hilti is just not competitive all things considered. Will the Hilti out last the Bosch? People on this forum seem to think so, but who really knows. Has any one done lab bench tests between the two to see which really outlasts the other?
I don't need bench tests, I have experience with running crews of guys that abuse tools because they aren't their's so they don't care, a Hilti will take a hell of a lot more abuse than a Bosch will.

Hilti will also send someone out to my jobsite to pick up a broken tool, and drop off a loaner tool to use while it is being repaired, and then deliver the repaired tool back to the jobsite within a few days. Bosch is not going to do that for me.

I will never pay more than 1/3 the replacement value of a tool for a repair for the lifetime of the tool with Hilti, if it can't be repaired for 1/3 it's replacement value, I get a new tool for that price, for as long as I own the tool and as many times as it needs to be serviced, I'm not going to get that from Bosch.

With Hilti you are not just buying the tool, you are also buying customer service that goes above and beyond any warranty the product carries. I actually look at all aspects of something when I buy it, I don't look at just price and percieved performance, but please feel free to continue ridiculing something because you choose that it is too expensive for you, I love people that will go out of their way trash something because they can't afford it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If I had my way, it would be HIlti everything. I have worked with every type of drill out there. Industrial, and commercial plumbing. I am not worried about cost if their is a good service deal with it all, plus the reliability, the feel, the vibration control. Hilti wins. Bosch, well, I have nothing bad to say about them. Good stuff too.

When it comes down to quality and support, Hilti is a very amzing brand.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts