Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Whole house leak detection systems/flood prevention devices.

8K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  cityplumbing 
#1 ·
I have a HO requesting a motorized ball valve to be installed that will detect leaks adn shut the system down. He also wants the valve to have a timer feature that will shut the water off in the middle of the night for a specified time range when no water would normally be in use.

Does anyone know of a single product/system that would do BOTH in one package? Trying not to have to custom build things if I can get away with it.

I'm also going to recommend a sewer popper on his building drain before his septic tank.

#10 ·
I don't see the point. You have to manually turn the thing on when ever you are asleep or away in order for it to actually detect and stop a leak. If I have to manually do something, I might as well just install an electric switch to a motorized ball valve and actually shut the water off.

I'm I missing something here? This system seems pointless......

http://youtu.be/BMyTT9r76Es

#6 ·
Protech said:
I have a HO requesting a motorized ball valve to be installed that will detect leaks adn shut the system down. He also wants the valve to have a timer feature that will shut the water off in the middle of the night for a specified time range when no water would normally be in use.

Does anyone know of a single product/system that would do BOTH in one package? Trying not to have to custom build things if I can get away with it.

I'm also going to recommend a sewer popper on his building drain before his septic tank.
"sewer popper"??? Ok, I'm intrigued PT, what is this you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using PlumbingZone

#7 ·
It's just a float that screws into the yard cleanout. Since most homes are slab on grade or elevated and fixture outlets are rarly below ground level, it lets the sewage out of the popper so that the house doesn't flood.

#11 ·
Seams like I could wire an intermatic water heater timer to a 12v transformer which switches an ELK WSV valve and that would do the same thing for 1/2 the price.

The house in question is on a well. If I loose power to the valve I loose power to the pump as well.

The homemade setup also can be programmed to keep the water off during known periods of non-use. To my knowledge, the flowlogic system won't do that.

A 7 gpm excess flow valve could be thrown into the mix too along with a sewer popper and that would make for a pretty safe system.

If he really wants to go nuts we can install a water cop system as well. That will detect actual wetness inside walls, cabinets, and under fixtures and shut the water down.

Add all of those features together and he's looking at 5 grand.
At that price, I'd just shut the water off when I'm not there and take my chances.

Thoughts? I'm suppose to meet with him in about 12 hours for the consult.

#12 ·
I've got a complete Water Titan system that I bought to check out. They have since kind of dropped off the map. It is a really cool setup with a motorized shutoff valve that is operated by remote water alarms.

The water alarms are a lot like the Sonin products. They have a couple of small metal contacts that when wet, sound an audible alarm as well a shutting off the valve. It also has an auto dialer that will call your cell phone if it goes off.

I love the setup but never found a practical place to offer it. I've got about $400 in it but I can get it to you VERY reasonable if you're interested. Send me a PM for details.

#13 ·
my thoughts

I've never seen this or any other products installed anywhere in my community.

People truly use their plumbing as it is a given, fix it when it breaks. That's it, unless you're a 60 year old retiree that would rather fix everything at least once at the homestead.

Asking people to push buttons going in and out of their house for their water? Not gonna happen.

I'm always concerned with any valve that is heavily relied upon when situations like this are important, meaning that valve needs to be operational and working. About a month ago I put my hands on the first truly broken ball valve. Couldn't believe it but sure enough it broke at the stem, ball was locked in the teflon packing gland due to calcium buildup.

It was a Nibco as well. :eek:

I can expect a ball valve failure with B&K Mueller, but only because the sockets are super thin and cancer out, can only expect so much in the casting process like that.

Only time I see people turning off valves is when the washing machine would be part of the equation. It usually takes a prior incident where a washing machine hose burst and that forces them to shut the valves off on stays away from home, and even between uses. Good habit, even though it wears out valves that way.

#14 ·
Protech said:
I don't see the point. You have to manually turn the thing on when ever you are asleep or away in order for it to actually detect and stop a leak. If I have to manually do something, I might as well just install an electric switch to a motorized ball valve and actually shut the water off.

I'm I missing something here? This system seems pointless......

http://youtu.be/BMyTT9r76Es
Most people don't shut down every night and it will still shut down when set to home just would take higher gpm to trigger shutdown

#17 ·
Well, if a person uses 40 gallons or more of water taking a shower at 2.5 gpm, or 5 gpm filling a tub or even more washing their car then you know the valve must trip at a higher gpm and elapsed flow than any of those.

If that is the case, the home will still flood and it is pointless.

#16 ·
Maybe 12 or so years ago installed a atco red hat electric shut off valve on the main inlet 3/4" water to a doctors office. The switch is next to security alarm so when they leave for the day or return they just hit the switch, the recirculating pump has a switch there also. easy set up for them. Put in a 3 ball valve bypass so if valve fails they can get water online ( valve failed once so far ). The valve is normally closed with power off.

wookie

#20 ·
Protech said:
Well, if a person uses 40 gallons or more of water taking a shower at 2.5 gpm, or 5 gpm filling a tub or even more washing their car then you know the valve must trip at a higher gpm and elapsed flow than any of those.

If that is the case, the home will still flood and it is pointless.
Hey I didn't invent the thing and since the insurance company drops their rates it must at least decrease damage. Besides I don't go around telling my customers they have to have these it was the closest thing I could think of that might have met you customers wants s**t just install a selanoid valve with a switch next to his bed

#21 ·
Im looking for a whole house wireless leak detection device and sensors that can be intrergrated with a smartphone app or the internet to turn the system on and off and also leak notification.

Does anyone know of such an animal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.