Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys do in a situation.Example: I go to my first job,and install a toilet.after the installation I notice that it s leaking by a defective spot on the toilet.Now you have to stop the time because the owner is right behind you.The time you dismantle,go to the shop,return,reinstall there went 3 hours. who gets shafted.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Did you supply the toilet or did they? If they supply then they pay, if you supply, then that's a tough call.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
It's situations like that, that make me glad we don't do T/M. If I was in the home owner's shoes I would tell you I'm not paying you to fix your defective parts. I would probably accuse you of intentionally keeping a defective one around so you can pad your hours when you’re slow or something to that effect. It sucks but I don't see how you’re going to be able to justify charging them to replace a defective part you supplied.

To turn it around, would you stand around off the clock while they went down to the ****-depo to trade their defective toilet in?

·
Registered
112 Posts
If they supplied, they are paying me... every time... If I supplied, the boss is paying me :)

Hope you are not on ticket time...

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
If you supplied the defective toilet you get to eat it!

That is why there are some brands that I do not supply.
Personally My toilet of choice is Toto. I've been using them for 5 years and have yet to have a defect or, a callback on one.

I can live with that!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's situations like that, that make me glad we don't do T/M. If I was in the home owner's shoes I would tell you I'm not paying you to fix your defective parts. I would probably accuse you of intentionally keeping a defective one around so you can pad your hours when you’re slow or something to that effect. It sucks but I don't see how you’re going to be able to justify charging them to replace a defective part you supplied.

To turn it around, would you stand around off the clock while they went down to the ****-depo to trade their defective toilet in?
I stopped the clock on the owner.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you supplied the defective toilet you get to eat it!

That is why there are some brands that I do not supply.
Personally My toilet of choice is Toto. I've been using them for 5 years and have yet to have a defect or, a callback on one.

I can live with that!
I like toto as well.I installed two of them in my house,but my only complaint about them ,and i don t mean to get graphic,is those big explosions you might have.there easy to stain.there no swirl to clean the sides.

·
Banned
383 Posts
thats part of why we mark up material for warrenty. the one in 100 toilets that is bad is covered by the 99 that are sound. if i sell it i take care of it. i have a disclaimer on contracts and invoices to protect myself from homeowner bought crap. if the briggs P.O.S. they bought is bad they pay me for thier poor choice. if i would ever have a bad toto my profit margin covers that.

·
The Redeemed
114 Posts
It happens to all of us bro, all you can do is learn something from that experience and I would recommend next time you buy a toilet or anything else to take a good look at it before installing it. I learned that with a defective i.p. shower valve not to mention the taped up boxes on my truck left by the guy who needed to pull a cartridge or needed a washer for the pop-up rod and left the box on the truck, oh the memories.... Now I look twice and install once ;)

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I like toto as well.I installed two of them in my house,but my only complaint about them ,and i don t mean to get graphic,is those big explosions you might have.there easy to stain.there no swirl to clean the sides.
Sanigloss my friend! It's like a teflon pan!:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts