Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know how to do pics .

My question ,,,,, Who is the ABSOLUTE MORON who invents these little tiny vanity cabinets ????

Obviously someone who NEVER had to work in one :furious::furious::furious:

I need his address please ,,,,,,, and some of Killer's weapons :yes:

Cal

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
that sucks man... i hate that sh*t i've worked in custom made ones with a 16" wide opening it took me three hours to put in a damn faucet and trap could barley get in fu*king thing!!!:cry:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i WISH it the two of them had been 16" . 12' at best ! arm & head ,,, thats it

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ha! One of the homebuilders I used to work for had those all over the place. I griped about those to everyone I could find. Funny thing was, after they dropped us (we're too high!), they ended up going to single door cabinets. Yeah, I about blew a head gasket.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I know it redicules the way they design some vanities. Moblehomes are the worst! They build the vanity and say, oh I guess it needs plumbing too! All you can do is remove the drawers so at least you can reach through with wrenches.;)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The best is a rough-in for a standard lav and then they throw a piece of furniture at you with drawers on each side and 9" in the middle with a two piece opening:censored:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Once I was working working on a farmhouse remodel/conversion to a Bed and Breakfast Inn, the GC pointed me to an antique dresser with a huge swiviling overhead mirror and said, make this into a vanity! It was all drawers! I'm no carpenter I'm a plumber! I got my sawzall out and did some hacking to say the least. I used a widespread faucet and raised china bowl supplied by him. It actually turned out quite well after they made the drawerfronts open like doors.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Now that I have a digital camera I will post some pix of some strange cabinets myself. Some are so tiny I cant even get my head inside

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Hey Cal, just go to your local HD plumbing section, and when the first guy with an orange apron comes along, see if you can jam him inside of the smallest vanity you can find. I guarantee you'll feel better after that.:thumbup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hah. Yeah A lot of those come from the 'designer SOHO home gallery'.. Imported from china with shank holes drilled too small!! :) Oh I forgot to mention the matching popup that leaks..

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Cal, just go to your local HD plumbing section, and when the first guy with an orange apron comes along, see if you can jam him inside of the smallest vanity you can find. I guarantee you'll feel better after that.:thumbup:
You Sir ,,, Are a GENIUS !! :thumbup::thumbup:

Reactions: Airgap

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is why I take my son and daughter on jobs with me. $5.00 per hour + In/Out for lunch and they learn to do something but sit and play games and whine. We all end up happy

·
Muck me?
700 Posts
we have a sink at the olive garden we are doing that no one can fit in. it about a 10" opening and the facet is about 2 feet in and 2 feet up.

·
Registered
567 Posts
we have a sink at the olive garden we are doing that no one can fit in. it about a 10" opening and the facet is about 2 feet in and 2 feet up.

Houdini can do it....

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
To top it off you have to watch the door catches that you have to lay on, oh and don't have a leak, doing it once is enough, doing it over is worse.

Reactions: Plumberman

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Muck,
I think I know what sink you are talking about. Is it the one with the garbage can opening in front? I did one of those at Red Lobster, the cabinet is 14" wide, the opening is about 12" wide. I had to lay on that rail and pull a deck mount bar faucet and install a new one. I was sore for about 2 weeks after.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
This is why I dislike res. service plumbing. I am 6'5" and 240lbs. I cant fit in small holes. But like the guy I learned from told me if the space is not big enough to work in make it bigger....:laughing:

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me!

·
A1 Very Top Shelf Plumber
111 Posts
A customer of mine bought 3 of those "too small" cabinets from Costco and wanted me to install them.

I told him that in order to do it quickly and correctly, I had to "open it up" a bit.

Once you remove the thin piece of pressboard they use a a backing, there's LOTS of room to install the faucet and PO plug. Then, all you have to do is slide it in place, hook up the trap and supplies, and you're outta there!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts