Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Pro Press is great in commercial for capping lines or installing cutoff valves. I don't prefer it for general piping though. I like old school soldering.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We have it in our shop, it will save time when you need to repair larger copper lines when time is short.

Reactions: JK949

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
We use it when allowed. Code allows it. A lot of architects do not.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
We use it when allowed. Code allows it. A lot of architects do not.

What's the full disclosure on their reasoning?

I'd use the stuff if it wasn't so damn expensive. What is that, like 4 grand worth of fittings there? :laughing:

I replaced a water heater today and for the first time, I needed a get-swet, or propress ball valve.

The trick I "hope" got it to solder was heating the pipe an inch above the socket of the ball valve really high and it took the solder as water was slowly dripping out of the valve.

I pray that the solder didn't ring around the edge of that brass socket. :eek: That's not a good solder joint. It did however liquify all around pretty well, didn't want to build up, like it wasn't pulling in.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
What's the full disclosure on their reasoning?

I'd use the stuff if it wasn't so damn expensive. What is that, like 4 grand worth of fittings there? :laughing:

I replaced a water heater today and for the first time, I needed a get-swet, or propress ball valve.

The trick I "hope" got it solder was heating the pipe an inch above the socket of the ball valve really high and it took the solder as water was slowly dripping out of the valve.

I pray that the solder didn't ring around the edge of that brass socket. :eek: That's not a good solder joint. It did however liquify all around pretty well, didn't want to build up, like it wasn't pulling in.
They are architects. They never give a reason:furious:

Fittings are pretty consistently 4x sweat.

I had a water service the other day I cut the end off of the 1" to the house. Meter would NOT shut-off. Curb box was god knows where. I cut that baby off. Had it shooting full bore. Pressed a 1" PP ball valve on and shut-it off.:thumbup:

By the way, the fitting was in a vault. I would never bury PP.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't like the deformity it does to the pipes, beside that, it is a quick fix, I did like that it made for less down time.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I don't like the deformity it does to the pipes, beside that, it is a quick fix, I did like that it made for less down time.
Most sizes don't deform too bad except, the 2". It looks like chit after pressing. Just down-right ugly.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yep Dat be Da one....

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ferguson has been selling us the fittings for a little over double sweat price. If you figure the time it takes to silphos 3 or 4 4" joints compared to about 20 seconds per PP joint it starts to save a lot of time. Not to mention on repairs where down time is a serious issue and you can't quite get that pesky stream of water off. They do have their place, not always, but sometimes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In the high rises i've been working on in Chicago, we've been pro-pressing the risers. It seem to hold up good. the time we have had leaks its usually because some one did'nt push the pipe all the way in.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Gotta admit, Pro-Press has its place fo sho !!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pro Press

On my last job the boss brought over the pro press. I was horrified as easily fitted and pressed a hallway in a day, when i could have usually eaten up a week soldering and pollishing and making it pretty:cry:
what am i going to do with the rest of the week?

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
We had a lengthy discussion on it a while back. Search for it and give us your take.

It is Tuesday. Bring on the PP dead horse:laughing:

Attachments

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Abbra Kadabbra

1 - 20 of 24 Posts