Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a 2 story? What a pain in the :censored:

Good learning experience, however. :thumbup:

I seem to recall 6000 sqft as the number, but I can't recall if that was before or after the daylight basement was eliminated. :blink: 3 1/2 bath downstairs, 2 bath upstairs, 2 kitchens, 2 laundries, . This thing is major custom work on many many levels. Not only that, but NOTHING in this house is the same as what was on the original plan. :laughing:

Thank god we are nearly finished. On to the next job.......

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I have, Lots of creative offsets and doublechecking with the builder on what can & cannot be drilled.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yep,fabbed up in Canada.The Canadians came with it until the roof goes on then it's up to the individual builder to figure out.What a mess for a bunch of first timers.I had it easy I had Plumbing walls built.
Electrician lost it big time.

They tell you about shrinkage?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Done a few . What a PAIN !!! Of course the finish product is GREAT !

They just need to figure in a couple more trade walls .

Cal

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Done a few. Limited space to take things thats forsure. BTW gotta love the expansion fittings between contraction floors.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Never had, but would love to experience it one time.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
We probably do 4 or 5 log cabins a year. They make expansion couplings in 1 1/2, 2, 3 and 4" to take up the settling between floors. They also make them in copper pipe but we use pex which will flex anyway. The real challange is when they want to keep the exposed beams and still run the upstairs plumbing.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've had my share of experiences with log homes. On one, I specified things that I wanted and when they did the build they didn't do them, and I insisted on re-bidding. When I gave the new bid, the owner balked and hired someone else to finish. That was OK - he was on his fifth framing crew already and I'd had nothing but trouble with him.

I usually find that some problems have not been thought out very well. On one house I did, I asked the HO who was building it where the basement stairs were going to be. He wasn't sure.

I think it was my first year in business that I did a dome house - that was pretty strange, too. Lots of offsets.

·
Registered
425 Posts
We probably do 4 or 5 log cabins a year. They make expansion couplings in 1 1/2, 2, 3 and 4" to take up the settling between floors. They also make them in copper pipe but we use pex which will flex anyway. The real challange is when they want to keep the exposed beams and still run the upstairs plumbing.
The one I did years ago waste was ran in plastic.The only thing did not like was having the mechanical joints for settling covered.How did you guys provide access to yours?

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Never done a log cabin, although I just plumbed a house made out of rough-sawed lumber about 2 months ago.

Had to drill through the floor joists of the 2nd floor for the 1.5" branch vent from the tub and washer box.

Rough-sawed lumber is a b*tch to drill through.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
I plumbed only one, back in 1989.

Had to offset water and drain 6" above and below for settling. The trade walls were butchered to death and don't dare drive a nail in that wall to hang a picture; you'll hit something.

Most roofs on those were metal sheeted, along with nearly a foot thick of insulation board. No effing way I was doing the roof boots on those jobs; that's the roofer's job!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I had thought about a log cabin many years ago, and studied up on wiring one. Pretty interesting. Much easier than hiding pipes in the logs. :laughing:

A router and long bit are necessary and a basement is pretty important, too.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yep,fabbed up in Canada.The Canadians came with it until the roof goes on then it's up to the individual builder to figure out.What a mess for a bunch of first timers.I had it easy I had Plumbing walls built.
Electrician lost it big time.

They tell you about shrinkage?
I learned about shrinkage in a cold Minnesota lake!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts