Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, really, here in VA in the rural areas there is only one inspector for everything, so who checks his plumbing, framing, electrical, and HVAC work??

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha ha, In Richmond they have several insoectors and I ran into one who was po'ed because he was a framing inspector himself and the plumbing inspector failed his plumbing!

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
We have a septic tank installer here who I heard is certified to inspect his own work. Wonder how much that lobyist got?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Philadelphia recently layed-off all plumbing inspectors to save money. They had the lowest senority because they were all new hires due to the fact that all the plumbing inspectors were arrested for coruption several years ago. Now building inspectors do interior plumbing inspections but we self certify our own underground water and sewer. (we do have to take a picture).

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I don't know who inspects their work but we use to work for a lot of them.

Mark

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Speaking of rural VA, my county has 3 inspectors. 2 full time, one semi retired. The background for all 3 is framing carpentry. When I had my rough plumbing inspected, 2 of the 3 came out, they walked down in the basement and said, "Looks like you got some fall on it". Yep, sure do. That was the whole inspection. To their credit they know I'm a plumber, but come on, make a little more effort than that. I'm not even going to start on the elec. rough:blink:.

·
Registered
356 Posts
In some areas, like where Highpoint is, rural BC, there arn't even inspections. I know a plumber there who never has HAD to put a test on any installation. He does over 50 houses a year and has been there for 8+ years. SCARY!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Los Angeles plumbers can inspect their own work

Los Angeles has a program where plumbers can pull a permit and inspect their own work. I am not sure how it works because I never bothered to ask.

I did several jobs for inspectors. Usually, the jobs were not in the inspector's jurisdiction and we always got different inspector. We had one inspector who lived in a multi-million dollar home on a bluff over-looking the ocean. Figure that our for yourself. He had an open sump pit underneath his house for all the sewer waste from his four-bathroom house and he argued that it was legal. It had no vent and planks for the lid.

Do you ever give a tip to an inspector after he passes your work? We used to give cases of whiskey to several building departments every year and when we wanted to stop we got several, a few weeks before the holidays, asking when we would be making our delivery. For some reason the good old days are gone. I used to buy 100 to 200 boxes of chocolates every year and pass them out to vendors and customers. Now, I'm cheap. Money is getting harder to hold onto.

·
4,710 Posts
Los Angeles has a program where plumbers can pull a permit and inspect their own work. I am not sure how it works because I never bothered to ask.

I did several jobs for inspectors. Usually, the jobs were not in the inspector's jurisdiction and we always got different inspector. We had one inspector who lived in a multi-million dollar home on a bluff over-looking the ocean. Figure that our for yourself. He had an open sump pit underneath his house for all the sewer waste from his four-bathroom house and he argued that it was legal. It had no vent and planks for the lid.

Do you ever give a tip to an inspector after he passes your work? We used to give cases of whiskey to several building departments every year and when we wanted to stop we got several, a few weeks before the holidays, asking when we would be making our delivery. For some reason the good old days are gone. I used to buy 100 to 200 boxes of chocolates every year and pass them out to vendors and customers. Now, I'm cheap. Money is getting harder to hold onto.

You have to be a registered Certified Contractor with the City. You still pay the same fees as a permit but you do not have to call for inspections. The program is limited to repair type work though not remodel or new work.

Mark

·
4,710 Posts
I figured you would know!

Thank you!
Here is the text:

103.1.2.12. Certified Licensed Contractors.​
No permit shall be required for the replacement of the following items
when the work is done on a detached, single-family dwelling and the work is performed by a contractor with a valid
Certificate of Registration as a Certified Licensed Contractor pursuant to Section 1716 of the Building Code:
(1) Replacement of defective hot water heaters with one of equivalent gallonage, BTU rating, and vent capacity
when the vent does not require relocation or replacement;
(2) Replacement of plumbing fixtures and solar panels with equal kind and quality;

(3) Replacement of defective domestic water piping within a dwelling with piping of equivalent size and quality;
and
(4) Replacement of defective metallic water service piping with piping of equivalent size, quality, and conductivity.
Metallic water service piping cannot be replaced with PVC under this provision.
(5) Replacement of shower pans with the same size and capacity.

A Certificate of Compliance pursuant to Section 108.12.3.1 of the Building Code must be filed with the City in lieu of a permit.

Mark

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thank you!

Here is the text:

103.1.2.12. Certified Licensed Contractors.​
No permit shall be required for the replacement of the following items
when the work is done on a detached, single-family dwelling and the work is performed by a contractor with a valid
Certificate of Registration as a Certified Licensed Contractor pursuant to Section 1716 of the Building Code:
(1) Replacement of defective hot water heaters with one of equivalent gallonage, BTU rating, and vent capacity
when the vent does not require relocation or replacement;
(2) Replacement of plumbing fixtures and solar panels with equal kind and quality;

(3) Replacement of defective domestic water piping within a dwelling with piping of equivalent size and quality;
and
(4) Replacement of defective metallic water service piping with piping of equivalent size, quality, and conductivity.
Metallic water service piping cannot be replaced with PVC under this provision.
(5) Replacement of shower pans with the same size and capacity.

A Certificate of Compliance pursuant to Section 108.12.3.1 of the Building Code must be filed with the City in lieu of a permit.

Mark
pcplumber

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I just got done with a repipe, and while the inspector was there he asked me how to install a shower valve!!! He asked me what kind of pipe he should use to move the location of the valve. I was blown away. This guy is inspecting peoples work? No wonder I see so much jacked up plumbing when there are guys like this inspecting.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts