Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alot of times its just easier than using fittings. mostly in barr areas
Yea, we do a lot of forced hot water boilers that have heat loops,

Most shops use M cause its cheaper , but my bosses used L so we could bend it.

Guys that would "fit" the heat loops would take 3 - 6 hours in a basement

I could bend the whole basement which is around 14 loops in under 30 minutes , I have done up to 12 bends on one piece of pipe , 45 , to 90 , to 22 all just to kick it into a sill or something

If you know hoe to bend you can bend anything

I got lucky and was taught by this dude that was cool.

He told me if I bought him lunch all week he would show me all tricks all week long

Well worth the money

When I used to work for shops I wouldnt tell them I could bend on the interview
When we did loops or DW , I brought my own bender to work and watched all the other guys weep

No wonder everyone always hated me :)

·
residential service
1,948 Posts

I could bend the whole basement which is around 14 loops in under 30 minutes , I have done up to 12 bends on one piece of pipe , 45 , to 90 , to 22 all just to kick it into a sill or something

If you know hoe to bend you can bend anything

I got lucky and was taught by this dude that was cool.

He told me if I bought him lunch all week he would show me all tricks all week long

Well worth the money

When I used to work for shops I wouldnt tell them I could bend on the interview
When we did loops or DW , I brought my own bender to work and watched all the other guys weep

No wonder everyone always hated me :)
What exactly are you talking about?

Bending hard copper with a tubing bender?

Are you heating it to take out the temper or just running it through the bender? You're not talking about using soft copper are you?

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
There's only one plumbing company in my area that does it, and their work is beautiful.

I'd rather have a house done this way instead of fittings.

The copper piping is actually quieter when in operation this way as well; less hard turns, less connections where piping wasn't reamed. :whistling2:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
There's only one plumbing company in my area that does it, and their work is beautiful.

I'd rather have a house done this way instead of fittings.

The copper piping is actually quieter when in operation this way as well; less hard turns, less connections where piping wasn't reamed. :whistling2:

i can definately see that. if you have the room, i can't see any disadvantages to bending. i bought a bender because i got a good deal on it and have used it a few times. i don't do new const. of any kind so i just don't have the use for it right now. maybe one day.

paul

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
the one i have is a ratchet bender made by ridgid. i only have a 5/8" o.d. one but like i said, i don't really need a full set of them since i don't use it much at all. if a 7/8" one comes up for cheap, i'd probably grab it though.

like this one

paul

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What exactly are you talking about?

Bending hard copper with a tubing bender?

Are you heating it to take out the temper or just running it through the bender? You're not talking about using soft copper are you?
No, How would I rough a house with soft copper silly :)

Well. I mean you could but that would be super expensive!

I am talking about bending sticks

Here is the bender I use

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I haven't done any bending while plumbing... But!
A few years back I was working as a plumber in a maint. dept. at a company that did a lot of tube bending work...
Whatever material you wanted bent they would bend it.
They even did 1D Radius bends without kinking in many materials.:eek:
They did a lot of aerospace, medical & scientific work

Here's some pics of the stuff they did.

This one below is actually made with a square copper tube.
I believe it was for cooling a high power laser.

Below is a picture of one of the machines they used for bending tubes.
It has a mandrel the tube is bent over to prevent the tube from collapsing and the mandrel has a lube pumped into it.
The machine is CNC controlled and once programmed they just insert the tube into the collet and it takes over making multiple bends of different degrees turning the tube and bending head as needed and feeding forward to the right bend points.

Neat stuff!:thumbup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I didn't know you could use the bender on a regular length of L. I really hate using the bender on the soft copper, but I gues its because no one has ever taught me how to properly use it.

I'm confused. Are you talking about baseboard here? Tying the first floor loop together down in the basement?

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't know you could use the bender on a regular length of L. I really hate using the bender on the soft copper, but I gues its because no one has ever taught me how to properly use it.

I'm confused. Are you talking about baseboard here? Tying the first floor loop together down in the basement?
Hell yea,

You can even bend M, if you are real careful BUT the writing has to be facing up :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts