Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I’d stock 3 of everything you’d find in a house.
3 elongated toilets
3 round toilets
3 handicap
1- 10” rough
1-14 “ rough

3-stainless k-sinks
3- stainless faucets
3 chrome

3 bathtubs

3 50 gal gas and e
3 40’s gas and electric

ETc etc.

I use to stock all that and more, I live in the middle of the city. It boils down to how much you want or can invest and how much business you do.

I sell at least one water heater a week and about 4 or 5 faucets and a couple toilets.
So over a month it adds up to
So the deal is that starting out I'll be running it out of my house and I have a garage the size of a shed so basically very limited room for stock. Such things as toilets would be 3 tall elongated, 1 low round, 1 tall elongated 10". Based on what I normally install. No tubs as that would be scheduled work and I would have it delivered directly to the jobsite. I would probably have 1 50 gal electric, 1 50 gal atmospheric gas and maybe 1 50 gal power vent. 3 different KS faucets yes but KS sink is rarely supplied by plumbers here so no sink. I would love to have the room to stick up and buy in bulk but I just don't have that room. I just want a little of everything to get by until the next delivery truck gets here so I dont waste time running around all the time.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I stock about 10-15 handheld showers.
I offer every customer one.
I sell 2-3 a week but have sold 3 at one house !
Do you like to sell? I do. I like to get as much money out of a house as I can......the ethical way of course.
I have only worked at places where I was never encouraged to sell and was actually getting the impression it was an inconvenience if I did as it change the schedule too much. I always felt it was stupid not to at least take a look and see if there was something more I could offer a customer that I felt would be a good investment for them. So I like to offer more solutions and sell upgrades if I can but not in a pushy way. For example I will often tell people that I can repair it but with repairs there are no guarantee for how long it will last so instead of repairing it for $150 I recommend replacing with new for $220 as I feel it would be a better investment (fiction numbers)

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,378 Posts
If you are wise you first get yourself either a 14 or 16 foot box truck...with a lift gate if you can find one
I presently drive a 14 foot used 2006 U-haul box truck
You set it up with shelves on one side and you then begin to fill it up
with everything under the sun ...... 10 foot lengths of pvc pex and all
get put under the shelves

You will never have everything but this truck is basically going to be your
rolling supply house..... I keep 3 water heaters strapped to the right hand side
of the truck and sometimes a water softener.... I got all the faucets necessary
in the shelving on the left side.... ----- its a work in progress...
I have that granny box over the top of the cab and it holds a lot of junk too

I could also put a cot back there if need be but its never come to that yet...

its amazing how much money in materials you eventually sink into
the back of that truck.... I have the contents insured for 35k

Their are many variations on this theme....but the larger box trucks are
far, far more efficient vs a van....

if you want to see pictures of my storage system and the junk I
carry around I can take some and post them

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I'm not sure what the lead plugs are? ..........

"Fit-All" plugs. They have a black iron plug center surrounded by lead. You can kind of twist them in but you mostly pound the center in which expands the lead a bit. 3-1/2" goes in most cleanouts on 4" pipe.

·
Super Moderator
7,994 Posts
I’d stock 3 of everything you’d find in a house.
3 elongated toilets
3 round toilets
3 handicap
1- 10” rough
1-14 “ rough

3-stainless k-sinks
3- stainless faucets
3 chrome

3 bathtubs

3 50 gal gas and e
3 40’s gas and electric

ETc etc.

I use to stock all that and more, I live in the middle of the city. It boils down to how much you want or can invest and how much business you do.

I sell at least one water heater a week and about 4 or 5 faucets and a couple toilets.
So over a month it adds up to

Are are pulling a 45' trailer??

·
Registered
Residential Service Plumbing
57 Posts
I'd figure out the common sink and shower cartridges and keep a few of those on hand.

If your area is prone to high water pressure, 1" and 3/4" regulators. We sell those all the time.

I'd think your best pricing would be to order in bulk if possible.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'd figure out the common sink and shower cartridges and keep a few of those on hand.

If your area is prone to high water pressure, 1" and 3/4" regulators. We sell those all the time.

I'd think your best pricing would be to order in bulk if possible.
Water Pressure regulators are owned and supplied by water departments around here so no need for that. I will be getting a few different cartridges.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

"Fit-All" plugs. They have a black iron plug center surrounded by lead. You can kind of twist them in but you mostly pound the center in which expands the lead a bit. 3-1/2" goes in most cleanouts on 4" pipe.

View attachment 127061
I have never seen one like that. A couple of times I have had to bust out a brass one and neither new brass one or plastic one would fit right so ended up using an expensive expanding twist style one.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If you are wise you first get yourself either a 14 or 16 foot box truck...with a lift gate if you can find one
I presently drive a 14 foot used 2006 U-haul box truck
You set it up with shelves on one side and you then begin to fill it up
with everything under the sun ...... 10 foot lengths of pvc pex and all
get put under the shelves

You will never have everything but this truck is basically going to be your
rolling supply house..... I keep 3 water heaters strapped to the right hand side
of the truck and sometimes a water softener.... I got all the faucets necessary
in the shelving on the left side.... ----- its a work in progress...
I have that granny box over the top of the cab and it holds a lot of junk too

I could also put a cot back there if need be but its never come to that yet...

its amazing how much money in materials you eventually sink into
the back of that truck.... I have the contents insured for 35k

Their are many variations on this theme....but the larger box trucks are
far, far more efficient vs a van....

if you want to see pictures of my storage system and the junk I
carry around I can take some and post them
Box trucks might have more space but I don't need that much space. I much prefer a cargo van for driving though I would ideally get a Ford transit that's a bit bigger than the trusty old chevy express. For now I'm afraid all I can muster for the first year is an old rusty express van. I will probably be looking in to getting a transit after a year when I am up and running a little better than right now in the beginning days.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I have never seen one like that. A couple of times I have had to bust out a brass one and neither new brass one or plastic one would fit right so ended up using an expensive expanding twist style one.
I use the fit-all plugs for half sizes and marq-two red rubber plugs for the full sizes. Jones-Stephens makes both and Wal-Rich also makes the red rubber plugs but they use crappy zinc wing nuts instead of steel.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,378 Posts
Box trucks might have more space but I don't need that much space. I much prefer a cargo van for driving though I would ideally get a Ford transit that's a bit bigger than the trusty old chevy express. For now I'm afraid all I can muster for the first year is an old rusty express van. I will probably be looking in to getting a transit after a year when I am up and running a little better than right now in the beginning days.

at the moment , you dont think that you dont need that much room.
we have saved so much time and effort with 14 ft box trucks
I could never go back to a van...... the box trucks are 10 times
more efficient .....

you got to work with what you have available and work yourself up
to a better ride someday I understand

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
..................you dont think that you dont need that much room.

You can have all the knowledge in the world but it's not worth anything if you don't have the parts and tools.

Reactions: Master Mark

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

You can have all the knowledge in the world but it's not worth anything if you don't have the parts and tools.
Where I still work at I am known as the guy who always has what ever you need. I often don't have everything but I do believe in being as close to a rolling warehouse as you can be but you can only fit so much in to a van. At the same time I dont like the hassle of driving a big box type vehicle. I think my ideal vehicle would be a Ford transit extended length and high roof with a cargo glide sliding wall on both sides and a jetrack hanging up in the roof for the stepladder.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Where I still work at I am known as the guy who always has what ever you need. I often don't have everything but I do believe in being as close to a rolling warehouse as you can be but you can only fit so much in to a van........
That's something we have in common, I too am known as the rolling supply house. I drive a standard size E-250. It's rare that I need to call in an order or come back the next day because I don't have parts.

Fully stocking a van, keeping it stocked, and keeping it from looking like a trash heap is an art in and of itself.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That's something we have in common, I too am known as the rolling supply house. I drive a standard size E-250. It's rare that I need to call in an order or come back the next day because I don't have parts.

Fully stocking a van, keeping it stocked, and keeping it from looking like a trash heap is an art in and of itself.
We might have much of that in common but being well stocked and keeping it from looking like a trash heap is where my van is likely different from yours as I can't keep mine clean. I suspect that will change when I am my own boss and I allow myself the time to keep it clean.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
We might have much of that in common but being well stocked and keeping it from looking like a trash heap is where my van is likely different from yours as I can't keep mine clean. I suspect that will change when I am my own boss and I allow myself the time to keep it clean.
I am always on call so I always take it home. I also stop at the shop dumpsters everyday and usually take 15 to organize some stuff. Unlike most of our other guys if I am stuck waiting for some reason, like parts delivery or the caretaker to come unlock, I will take that time to organize my van.

A clean van is it's own reward. I can have a pretty bad memory so if stuff isn't in the same place everytime I would never be able to find it.

Reactions: sparky

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Reactions: sparky

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The m
at the moment , you dont think that you dont need that much room.
we have saved so much time and effort with 14 ft box trucks
I could never go back to a van...... the box trucks are 10 times
more efficient .....

you got to work with what you have available and work yourself up
to a better ride someday I understand

if I was doing all service like you mark i would definitely use the box truck.I had a one ton Toyota truck with a 14ft box on it and I loved it but that was years ago,now I have a 4-door Ford F-350 with utility bed with lift gate,we still do a lot of new work and I love the utility bed for this kind of work

21 - 40 of 48 Posts